Sony Ericsson and Android - Piecing Things Together or Just Throwing Darts?
Let’s have a little bit of fun today, shall we? I was inspired to put this together after reading something from The Motley Fool yesterday. Anders Bylund’s article (Popping the BlackBerry Bubble) was focused on RIM’s recent earnings and the challenges facing the company. When the subject of Android came up, he threw in a little conclusion jumping that I’d like to expound upon.
…Nokia is nibbling at the BlackBerry’s traditional home field with new models of a corporate-use slant, and Sony Ericsson might jump aboard that Android bandwagon, too. The competition looks…
Now, this was the first time I read this anywhere, so I reached out to Anders. His reply got me thinking and had me digging for clues like the Scooby Doo gang. Let’s take a look at some reasons why this could happen and connect some dots. Here’s what we do know so far:
- Sony Ericcson’s new flagship device (EXPERIA-X1) is rumored to be built by HTC, using a Qualcomm chip
- Recent gossip was that SE might consider buying HTC
- SE just announced their first T-Mobile device in 5 years
- T-Mobile, Qualcomm and HTC are founding members of the Open Handset Alliance
- Ericsson is considered Associate Members of the LiMo Foundation.
- Sony Ericsson officially joined the Symbian Foundation this week with Nokia
Adding all this together doesn’t mean anything specific. No one bullet point is more telling than others. There’s no hard evidence to support this every happening but if it were to, these are the clues to look back on. If there are legitimate talks between SE and HTC, then we have to imagine Android has come up in those discussions. Keep in mind that you don’t have to be a member of the Open Handset Alliance to support Android.
What do you guys think? What’s the likelihood of seeing and Android-based Sony Ericsson phone?