Google Trying to Clean up Comment Problems in Android Market

If you are a G1 owner and have ever downloaded something from the Android Market, chances are you have seen the ugly side of Android people.  I’m talking about the comments.

This is especially true in cases of new apps that just recently showed up.  People have been leaving crass, belligerent remarks, often veering into racism and other shady areas.  It’s definitely one area where Apple does a better job of policing their people.

Today we have a bit of good news to report on that front.  Google hasn’t turned a blind eye to this and is vowing to clean things up.  Speaking to Mobile Web User, a Google rep says they were taking this “very seriously” and that they “have been aggressively taking down offensive comments” since late last year.  Google also indicated that they had “improved our tools to make scanning and removing comments much faster and easier.”

I don’t think Google expected this from Android users when the decision was made to allow for YouTube-esque voting and comments in the Android Market.  I know I certainly didn’t think I would see it as often as I do.  It’s good to know Google is taking an active role in this.  Also comforting is knowing that once paid apps show up, there ought to be less of this too.

Now, I understand it’s one thing to let people know if an app is buggy or force closes all the time.  It’s another thing to rip someone to shreds over something they likely spent numerous hours working on.  It’s an entirely different animal when you resort to dropping epithets at other people who left comments.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4641 posts

Sony Xperia Z1 mini cleared FCC, codenamed as “Amami”

Just a month ago, we ‘accidentally’ saw the upcoming Sony Xperia Z1s on Sony’s website, and since then, we are waiting to hear more about it. However, it seems the

Aava Mobile’s Reference Design for OEM/ODMs

AAVA Mobile, a startup comprised of “engineering wizards”, was in Barcelona last week to show off their reference design for OEMs and ODMs.  This unnamed device, based on Intel’s Moorestown

Deals & Steals

Amazon offering 6-pack ‘Getaway Essentials’ bundle for free

Looking to get away this weekend, this summer, or somewhere down the road? Check out the free apps that Amazon is offering today as part of a “Getaway Essentials” bundle.

1. Cryptic79
    January 09, 11:27 Reply

The worst one I’ve seen was The Holy Quran app. Such racist remarks about a religion that probably doesn’t differ much from Christianity. The irony is that some of the posters who spew such hate claimed to be Christians. Funny…in my 12 years of Catholic schooling, never did “Thou shall hate all that are different than you.” come up.

Thankfully, Google is pushing even harder to make your path to Hell much less noticed.

2. Steve
    January 09, 12:04 Reply

I’m very happy to hear that Google has at least recognized this as a pretty serious issue. The religious apps are particularly obvious targets, but I’ve noticed folks who would give 1 star, and leave a completely useless comment, which is a plug for their website or whatnot. Completely ridiculous, and it skews ratings in a big way when there are tens of hundreds of these comments for an application.

I hope to see some much improved moderation from Google’s end in the Android Market – it’s just way too open at this point.

3. john
    January 09, 12:12 Reply

This is such good news. It is really disheartening to think that some app developers have been swayed by ignorant comments. I stopped reading them and I am sure I may jave lost out on some valuable info. Namaste

4. Bratag
    January 09, 13:52 Reply

Personally I would have advocated driving cross country and smacking the little pre-pubescent idiots upside the head and then taking their g1 from them for good measure. But I suppose this is a start.

5. chefgon
    January 09, 16:11 Reply

They should just put up a script that automatically deletes any comment containing the word “first” before it ever gets posted. The first 50 comments in every app have people proclaiming that they are first in some kind of lame commenting race.

It would be nice if there was a user-policing system where people could vote comments up or down like on Blogs so that a comment deemed inappropriate by a certain percentage of users is just deleted automatically.

At the very, very least.. there should be a Terms of Service that you have to agree to before commenting, and users who violate it will have their commenting privileges revoked. My reccomended terms: no firsts, no name-calling, no off-topic comments, no email addresses (you’re not going to pick up ladies in the android market, give it up), and no advertisements for your web site. Since your commenting name is (I think) tied to your gmail account, it wouldn’t exactly be easy to delete your account and start a new one just to circumvent a ban, since you’d lose all your email.

6. Ian
    January 09, 23:52 Reply

ability to store apps in the sd card.I think up voting and downvoting comments is the way to go. Flagging the comment at the very least. With regards to the negative comments on the apps, I’m for the freedom of that. I think google dropped the ball with not letting the ability to pay for apps to come out yet. Goole needs to get going because android has catching up to do. We need better youtube player, video recorder, on screen keyboard, new widgets and

7. Jason
    January 10, 03:27 Reply

Honestly, all I see is stupidity. My friend refers to the G1 as”Ghetto one”, since nobody can spell…in fact nobody even tries to. I understand shorthand, but some of these words are as long as the one being replaced. It’s embarrassing seeing someone rate a brand new app a * with a comment like “dis suck yo. How du it work”

Hopefully there will be some sort of mini IQ quiz being prepared right now to weed out the idiots.

8. eric
    January 10, 21:37 Reply

I agree that this is a good thing..

..but you’re kidding when you say that you didn’t expect to see comments like that, right?

when the marketplace was announced, google said that there would be a comment system like youtube. have you seen the comment system on youtube? its just as bad if not worse. this was exactly what I was expecting.

anyways, glad they’re doing something about it.

9. AndroidGuys
    January 12, 08:53 Reply

The only reason I didn’t see the comments coming like that is the wide audience appeal of the YouTube videos. Everyone and their mom has been there. With the G1, I was hoping to see a little higher standard being applied by the people who were buying G1’s.

You’d think that the only people running around with G1’s were under 15 or something.

10. С этой статьи начинаю читать этот блог. Плюс один подписчик :)

11. Jay
    February 26, 01:54 Reply

That'd be great if Google took steps to stop shady commenting. I'm definitely fore voting systems and moderation ect. advanced seo

12. Corey
    March 02, 20:31 Reply

I agree commenting problems need to be handled with.

13. aerobic exercise
    January 21, 10:17 Reply

Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger,
    and I was curious about your situation; many of us have developed some nice practices and we are looking to exchange solutions with others, be sure to
    shoot me an email if interested.

14. Boston Limousine
    February 10, 14:23 Reply

Thiis is a penthouse in design, boston limousine
    either. If you have enough time. The limousine service
    Miami have several layers of cake filled wikth unforgettable
    sites.

15. pool deck plans
    April 01, 02:44 Reply

With Ted’s Woodworking there are literally thousands of organized woodworking projects in a member’s area
    and all you have to do is get them off your computer any time you want.
    Making mortise and tenon joints properly, takes time and
    patience. These plans could be directly downloaded from these
    specific sites and stored so the retrieval is possible whenever required.

16. Very good blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid
    option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally
    confused .. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

17. For instance, the Formulate 20 foot Display
    Booth weigh a total of a hundred and forty lbs.

18. Tiffany
    May 25, 09:59 Reply

“And that can be accessed on both platforms; you can access that same data. It was originally a joint-project with Sony and Nintendo meant as an add-on to the Super Nintendo (SNES) game console. The graphics engine of PS3 has the power to perform two trillion calculations per second, which will surely provide the best graphics possible today.

19. Are there measures put in place to curb such a practice and
    regulate prices. Since independence in 1825, this resource-rich South American nation has been one of the most unstable places in the Western Hemisphere.
    Going strictly by current form, South Korea should pip both Greece and Nigeria
    to the second spot in the group.