Early Look at Android 1.5 (Cupcake)
Developers are now able to get their hands on an early look of Android 1.5’s SDK, which is based off of the Cupcake development branch.Â New features introduced into this SDK include APIs for soft keyboards, home screen widgets, live folders, speech recognition, and more!
The official blog is going to be updated over the next few weeks with articles on new APIs, changes andÂ topics such as OpenGL, asynchronous tasks, system settings, and new Activity callbacks.
Looking over the highlights, we’re just as excited about some of the refinements as we are over the new features.
Among the items getting tweaks:
- Animated window transitions (off by default)
- Accelerometer-based application rotations
- Faster Camera start-up and image capture
- Much faster acquisition of GPS location
- Smoother page scrolling in Browser
- Speedier GMail conversation list scrolling
- UI polish for:
- In-call experience
- Contacts, Call log, and Favorites
- SMS & MMS
- Camera & Gallery
- Application management
The new features runs even longer, but some of the better ones include:
- Portrait and landscape soft keyboard
- User dictionary for custom words
- Text prediction engine
- View Google Talk friends’ status in Contacts, SMS, MMS, GMail, and Email applications
- Batch actions such as archive, delete, and label on Gmail messages
- Upload videos to Youtube, Upload photos on Picasa
- APIs for creating secure home screen widgets
- APIs for populating live folders with custom content
If you’re ready to get started, head here to download the early look.
You might also like
After having become one of the more popular apps of its kind on iOS, UpTo has brought its social-based calendar to Android. With this free title, users can look ahead
Skype is one of the leading applications for video and voice calling. It’s been available for Android for some time, but unfortunately there was no video capability. It was recently
The popular puzzle game with excellent graphics, Monument Valley, has gone free, and we have the details on how you can get it on your device of choice.