We learned yesterday that the official US Cupcake rollout started.Â No, for real this time.Â Seriously.
Instead of sitting around over the next few days starting at your G1, take matters into your own hands.Â That’s right!Â You can get the update file yourself and install it manually.Â No root access required!
Just like earlier in the week with the UK version, you can follow a few simple steps and have Cupcake running in under 10 minutes.Â BE CAREFUL! If you don’t follow the steps properly, you can seriously screw your phone up.Â While we can’t necessarily condone or recommend doing this, a few of us here at AndroidGuys can attest to the process being very easy.
You can get the update.zip file from one of the two places listed below.
If you just downloaded the UK edition, you can put the US one right over top without downgrading or rooting.
Once you have the file, follow these few steps!
- Rename zip file to update.zip
- Load the file on your SD card’s main directory
- Turn off the phone, reboot it holding the HOME button
- When you see the triangle, hit ALT+L, then ALT+S
- Press HOME and BACK when it prompts you
- After it installs the radio, it might reboot a time or two
- BONUS: Download the AndroidGuys widget and stay up to date with all the latest Android news and rumors.