Why My G1 Qualifies as a “Smartbook”

g1_brownMy T-Mobile G1 is already a smartbook, is it not?

Let me explain.  I can surf the web, check e-mail, download and listen to podcasts, keep up with facebook/Twitter friends, use a variety of instant message clients, use Gmail as a word processor (in a pinch) and actually use this same device as a fully functional telephone.

Big deal, so is the iPhone, right?  Yes and no. It can do all the above functions but, at the most two maybe three at a time. I routinely use the G1 for simultaneous activity and connectivity.   This is the inherent beauty of what Google has allowed their developers and community to develop around Android.  And because it is built on the Linux kernel there is no question about its reliability and security.

So based on the form factor and ability many of Android’s phones may actually qualify as a smartbook: not quite a netbook but it can also be used as a full PC on the go with 3G and WiFi capabilities.

Add my Seidio extended battery to the mix and the device power is raised exponentially.

Android, FTW!

Two weeks ago I purchased my wife an iPhone 4 to get her to send/receive text messages  (my new toy by proxy) and I got me a couple of Palm

Google Keep receiving major update today

Sometimes Google creates a great application, puts it in the Play Store, and forgets about it. Unfortunately, Google Keep has been the victim of that for quite a long time.

Nexus 4 LTE chatter resumes with Bluetooth SIG listing

Google may be ready to soon debut a new 4G LTE version of the Nexus 4 smartphone, if you put stock into today’s chatter. An LG-E960 spotted at the Bluetooth

1. Peter
    September 15, 12:31 Reply

Sam,

can you video conference or watch live mobile TV with a G1?

is your G1 screen 7 inches in diameter?

the iPhone cannot pull up flash — can the G1?

Video Conference, Flash, mobile TV, all-day battery life, and a big screen all make the smartbooks the next big thing in mobile computing —

• warp99
      September 15, 13:14 Reply

You can do all that with the Nokia N900, the only limitation being the screen size. As Android matures you're going to see all of these features included to keep up with the competition. In the future the line between smartbooks, smartphones, and even netbooks will be almost indistinguishably.

2. Chris
    September 15, 12:53 Reply

Yes you can ue Google Docs with an Android phone. I do all the time

• BackInAction
      September 15, 13:30 Reply

OK, great! His comment about using Gmail as a "word processor" had me scared.

3. Lak
    September 15, 12:59 Reply

U plum Sam…u cant fit that thing in your pocket dude….can you?

and yes I have a G1 and use google docs as well, and I am sure.. and if we wanted something similar to that we can use

which runs android as well

• Lak
      September 15, 13:04 Reply

i Mean Peter U plum!!! :)

4. Phandroid
    September 15, 15:03 Reply

Yeah I don't think you understand what "Smartbook" book actually is. It is NOT lesser form of netbook. It is a netbook with the added properties of a smartphone including telephony.

Your ANDROID is NOT a smartbook because the thing has a 3.2 inch screen. It is a smartphone and doesn't even approach smartbook by any stretch of the imagination.

Might want to delete this article 😉

5. Randal
    September 15, 17:15 Reply

Not sure he knows what exponentially means either.

6. bob
    September 15, 17:27 Reply

yes lets not make shit up, ok? There is already a category that the g1 fits into its called "smart phone". Its not a "smartbook", "netbook", "laptop", "newton" :p, etc. PERIOD.

7. lisa
    September 16, 10:58 Reply

hmm. see, this is the problem that marketers will face when pushing these things. is there a list of specs that define a smartbook as such? or a netbook or ultraportable or whatever? there's too many categories which will lead to confusion amongst buyers.

8. bobo
    October 03, 01:47 Reply

Everyone needs to read up more information into htc. its not an open android but the hero runs flash and the ui is 10 times better than the regular android. We are seeing the android evolve.