GeeksPhone, or as we refer to them, “the little start-up that could,” has retooled their Android handset and announced the official hardware specifications of the “ONE.” What was once considered “just another Android wanna-be” has evolved into a device worthy of our full attention.
The distribution deals are expected to close within the next few weeks and GeeksPhone guarantees the phone with be available in Western Europe by the end of the year. According to our source at the company, the handset will be available â€œunlockedâ€ through various distributors, or subsidized through MVNOs.Â The price has been estimated at around 260â‚¬ ($375.00 USD), although that is completely subject to change.
We're giving stuff away to help celebrate our tenth anniversary. Are you in?
Among the changes to the ONE are:
- High-end glossy finish
- Implementation of QWERTY sliding keyboard
- Intel/Marvel PXA pulled in favor of Qualcomm chip
- 3G Download and Upload speeds are now HSDPA atÂ 7.2 MB and HSUPA 5.7 MBÂ (Originally 3MB & 320KB)
- Improved screen resolution (becomes WQVGA)
- Audio 3.5mm minijack
- DVB-T tuner removed due to current Android energy management policies
Here are the full hardware specs courtesy of a press release passed our way.
- Form factor: Full screen candy-bar with flat sliding keyboard
- OS: Android OS with custom UI
- Platform: Qualcomm 7×25 Baseband
- Processor: 528 MHz ARM11 (ARM1136EJ-S) Jazelleâ„¢ series
- Chipset: Qualcomm MSM7225
- DSP/RIL: Qualcomm radioOne QDSP5000
- RAM: 256Mb mDDR
- ROM: 256Mb NAND
- Radio: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 & HSPA 2100 (7.2mbps/5.7mbps)
- Antenna: Ethertronics Hi-Gain active omni antenna (GSM/WiFi/GPS/BT)
- Display: 3.2â€ WQVGA Fujitsu MVA hybrid-resistive touchscreen
- Keyboard: Virtual and 40-key physical QWERTY slider (d-pad and fn keys)
- Camera (main): 3.1 megapixel HD camera with AutoFocus
- Camera (front): 0.3 megapixel fixed-focus camera
- WiFi: Marvell 802.11 b/g
- GPS: SirfStar3 with DGPS (WAAS/EGNOS)
- A-GPS: Ephemeris QuickFixâ„¢ with database auto-update (fetnet server)
- Bluetooth: long range BT 2.1 compliant
- USB: MicroUSB Client (U-Disk system with SD Reader and USB-modem)
- Accelerometer (3-axis)
- Storage: up to 32GB via MicroSD (SDHC & SDIO standards)
- F-Keys: Call (green), Hang (Red), Multifunction (White), Camera, Volume slider (with mute lock), Power & 3 virtual keys (Menu/Home/Back)
- Audio Subsystem: Wolfson DAC/CODEC (ALSA)
- Speakers: 2×1 watt RMS wide-range speakers
- Microphone: high-end dynamic microphone with digital noise suppression
- Headset jack: 3.5mm Headset/Handsfree minijack
- Battery: 1110 mAh 3.7V Li-Po
- Size/Weight: 110 x 55 x 14 mm / 123g
- Others: Includes a retractile stylus; Biodegradable plastic housing.