Hey G1ers…Don’t Wait – Grab Donut For Yourself!
For those of you out there waiting on Android 1.6 (Donut) to arrive on your G1′s, we have but one word for you… STOP.Â Forget waiting on the man, take that pastry for yourself!Â A direct link to the updated release has been sent our way.
Here’s the tricky part.Â We’re hearing it does not play nice with myTouch 3G‘s but works great for G1 owners.Â Proceed with caution!
Here’s the obligatory disclaimer:
This is not supportedÂ or endorsed by AndroidGuys, Google, T-Mobile, or any other parties.Â Doing this always runs the risk of turning your phone into a brick.Â Be very careful and back up your files.Â With that out of the way, here are the instructions to flash Donut to your G1.
- Download the file from this URL
- Rename the file so that it becomes “update.zip” without those silly parenthesis
- Load the file on your SD cardâ€™s main directory
- Turn off the phone, reboot it holding the HOME button
- When you see the triangle, hit ALT+L, then ALT+S
- Press HOME and BACK when it prompts you
- After it installs the radio, it might reboot a time or two
According to our tipster Andrew, this time it “does a lot more file deleting and copying, and pops up a screen after your update that give you the option to press back and home to reboot instead of automatically rebooting for you.”
Anybody already given this a try?Â Share your experience with the class.Â Leave a comment below.Â Oh, and if our instructions need to be tweaked a little bit to sound more clear, by all means let us know.