January 25, 2015

Hey G1ers...Don't Wait - Grab Donut For Yourself!

green_donutFor those of you out there waiting on Android 1.6 (Donut) to arrive on your G1’s, we have but one word for you… STOP.  Forget waiting on the man, take that pastry for yourself!  A direct link to the updated release has been sent our way.

Here’s the tricky part.  We’re hearing it does not play nice with myTouch 3G‘s but works great for G1 owners.  Proceed with caution!

Here’s the obligatory disclaimer:

This is not supported  or endorsed by AndroidGuys, Google, T-Mobile, or any other parties.  Doing this always runs the risk of turning your phone into a brick.  Be very careful and back up your files.  With that out of the way, here are the instructions to flash Donut to your G1.

• Download the file from this URL
  • Rename the file so that it becomes “update.zip” without those silly parenthesis
  • Load the file on your SD card’s main directory
  • Turn off the phone, reboot it holding the HOME button
  • When you see the triangle, hit ALT+L, then ALT+S
  • Press HOME and BACK when it prompts you
  • After it installs the radio, it might reboot a time or two

According to our tipster Andrew, this time it “does a lot more file deleting and copying, and pops up a screen after your update that give you the option to press back and home to reboot instead of automatically rebooting for you.”

Anybody already given this a try?  Share your experience with the class.  Leave a comment below.  Oh, and if our instructions need to be tweaked a little bit to sound more clear, by all means let us know.

Image Source: Flickr

1. Bruce

This might be the stupidest post I have seen in Android Guys.

Get this now!!!

No, don't get this, it might mess up your phone!

Have you tried it yet??

Tell me, what is your goal in posting this? Who are you trying to help? You start out trying to help everybody, immediately give up on mT3G users, and then tell G1 users to watch out. If I want gossip and unconfirmed information, I can follow the forums.

• Andy

I agree that this article is stupid, but I wouldn't agree that it's the stupidest post I've seen on Android Guys. Most of the posts here are entirely garbage. I only come here to see pictures of phones, which is something the bad and unprofessional writing around here can't taint.

2. kosmonaut

Just to confirm, this works for the G1. Just did it, took maybe 10 minutes, no problems. Now I have to figure out what Donut actually provides.

3. Tyler Peters

It works like a charm guys just like every other time you post these links!!! Thank you so much for your hard work. Smart people will understand that you just have those disclaimers to cover your buts. Keep up the great work! Love you guys, your loyal fan, Tyler

4. Sean

I'm flashing it right now(on my G1)….weird….reads "deleting files"…."writing boot"…"copying files"…."deleting files"…"deleting files"….rebooting…. and…….looking good so far….. we have lift off!!!!and its workin…cool stuff…new widget that has the on off switches to wifi and such…kind of like open home…sweetness!!

5. Jorge

Bruce, I would call you an idiot, but I can’t think of anyone it would help.

Here’s an idea. Instead of being a douche, why don’t you understand that the G1 and MT3G are different phones. Not everything made available to them will work the same way for the other. Second, you DO realize disclaimers are literally littered on everything we touch, right? Its necessary for liability reasons so that ungrateful wads like yourself can’t hold them responsible when you screw up your phone.

Thanks to AndroidGuys. Being an MT3G owner, I’ll be waiting til some link comes along that’s a little more mytouch-friendly. Until then, I’ve passed this incredibly helpful link on to my G1 owner friends.

6. Ryan

I just installed it manually on my G1 and so far so good. The quick search box is awesome!

And Bruce, take out your tampon and calm down. I'm really glad they posted this because there's no way I was going to wait for T-Mobile to decide when I would get it.

7. Scott

Installing it on non-rooted G1 now. seems to be working fine.
    waitng while it deletes, copys etc..

rebooting……Once…still at ANDROID Screen.
    2 minutes later…Homescreen!
    Finished! Camera App crashed, but I launched it right away. maybe needed time to fully load.
    Search works great too.
    Thanks alot!
    Go for it G1 non-root owners.

• Jake

nope, named it "update.zip" (without the " "), I did this with the 1.5 update, I dunno why its not working for 1.6, when everyone else seems to be doing just fine.

8. roy

Will this work for european G1's as well? If yes, what would happen if I got the OTA-update (or the one after that)?

9. Amy

Just tried it and didn’t work for me, my phone is not rooted all the way but stuck on rc29 1.0 firmware because I got stuck in the process and can’t find my way back! ugh…

I am re-formatting my sd card right now, mabye that’ll do the trick

10. chris

i renamed the file update.zip but keeps telling me operation aborted what am i doing wrong?

11. ryan

its not leting me install this shit. telling cant open /sdcard/update.zip
    i dunno what the heck is going on!!!

• Macknogia

Windows OS: START–> SETTINGS–>CONTROL PANEL—>FOLDER OPTIONS–>VIEW (tab)….Now Uncheck ( Hide extensions for known file types) Press APPLY then OK.
      Now rename ur donunt file into "update.zip" now try

12. Alex

Ok, if you guys are running Vista, then you need to only name it "update" as the "zip" part is applied already. As for the UK phones, it will work but it won't have web'n'walk and maybe a few other things. I remember when the UK update first came out, I put it on my g1 and it worked until there was an american version available….hope this helps answer your questions

13. Alex

I think the UK version is also missing voice search which you will get with american version

14. Alex

15. happylittletree

Make sure your computer's OS isn't automatically unzipping the file or else it won't work.

16. david

i downloaded it and unload the file update.zip to my sdcard. but now it won't reboot using the home button. any idea?

• david

nvm. its not reboot it BY holding home, its reboot it WHILE holding home as well. opps

• Macknogia

* Download the Android 1.6
      * Rename Downloaded zip file to update.zip
      * Copy 'update.zip' to SD Card
      * Turn off the phone. Press and hold HOME+POWER to reboot
      * When you see the triangle with an exclamation point press ALT+L
      * Press ALT+S to begin update process
      * When prompted, Press HOME+BACK to reboot
      * It may reboot a few times, don't worry

17. eclipe

Just loaded it, appears to work fine for me! Thanks guys, that's two manual updates ahead of the curve!

18. flurin

this does not work for the CRC37 builds of cupcake! i get an assert error when trying to manually update.

19. Jeremy Samms

I performed the Donut upgrade early this morning. Everything went smoothly..there was a network error trying to open the Market, but it did open on the 3rd try. My impressions…other than the new search abilities, which i really love, 1.6 it looks and feels like 1.5.

20. david

whenever im on the home screen and open of close the keyboard so the homescreen changes orenitation, i get the

android.process.acore

error. any ideas about what to do?

21. DD_839

It was a pain in the ass and my heart jumped into my throat a few times, but I got it to work. A message saying service stopped appeared several times, but seems to have cleared.

22. chris

loaded it and it worked quite well make sure if you have vista to name it just update no zip

23. ERAG1

Unfortunatelly this doesn't work for polish ERA G1 :( The script checks props in /system/build.props and in my phone theye aren't "TMOBILE" ;)

24. drewske

my problem is after it verifies the file, when it goes to install it gets a failure
    E:failure at line 2:
    assert file_contains ("system:build.prop", "ro.build.fingerpring=tmobile/kila/dream/trout:1.5/crc1/150275:user/ota-rel-keys,release-keys") =="true" file_contains("system:build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint=tmobile/kila/dream/trout:1installation aborted.

dont worry, it doesnt brick the phone. home+back and it restarts back to where i left it. im just bummed it doesnt work.

25. drewske

ah, im a genius…i was on build crb43 and the donut build only updates from crc1…updated to crc1 then donut, worked like a charm

• garettpony

yeah chuksy, i wasn't actually expecting one so soon but literally just as this article was posted i was reading it late last night //early this morning and checked my phone for a message and there it was. I'm in California and have had my G1 since their release date last year. I don't know if that matters or where i am in the rollout but yeah i got it right away.

26. Jawid

I got a "file was bad" error. No bricking of the phone at all it just reboots to avoid anything. The link when I clicked on it didn't work exactly and i had to right click download, but it only came out to 4 kb/s. Is that normal? Cause otherwise I have no idea what went wrong. I followed all the directions properly. update.zip copied over alt L and alt S. Any ideas?

• Jawid

I re-downloaded the file. Came out to about 15 MB/s this time. Followed instructions and it worked perfectly. Took only about 4 minutes to do. Phone doesn't have to be rooted to make this work. Thanks a lot AndroidGuys!

27. iPaul Pro

I was able to manually download and install 1.6 from Settings/About phone/System Updates. I'm running an un-rooted G1 from T-Mobile US, in NYC. YMMV

28. Android Fan

I have the following firmware on my G1 32B:

I tried to install the donut update 14mb on my USA G1 32B and I get the following error.

I tried downloading from different sites, and tried installing again. Still the same error.

Anyone know what version that you can upgrade from, to get this update?
    Is there another update that I should do before trying to update to the 1.6 version?

29. Xskull8er

The key to this kingdom is already posted here. I have a MyTouch and went to Settings-About Phone-Updates and there it was. Make sure you have a 3G signal as the download is 20MB, not a quick experience if it will come across. It has been over a half hour and it still says "Downloading" with no activity seen with the in/out arrows. Could be the site is too busy…..? Will check again in a couple hours.

30. Rango

Got the update over the air this morning, so far I like the search and the switching from portrait to landscape is great but I cannot find the battery usage screen? Anyone else found this screen yet?

31. Xskull8er

Tried to update from "The Man" to my MyTouch but after 2 hrs gave up, kept showing 'downloading' 20 MB file.The activity indicator did not show any data coming in down stream to the phone. Most likely due to a fore mentioned problems with MyTouch and Donut, T-Mobile has blocked the update. If "The Man" has shut it down it obviously wouldn't be a good idea to circumvent the provider just to se how bad the update will dork up my (your) MyTouch. Will wait until the wrinkles get ironed out. How un-Redmond! Their standard is keep putting it out non-stop because 50,000 complainers are just splitting hairs. Thanks AndroidGuys and T-Mobile for not using us as product testers.

32. ic3man5

sapphire (mt3g) instructions:
    1.) Download signed-opal-DRC92-from-COC10.1c9..zip from internet
    2.) rename to update.zip and move to root directory on sdcard
    3.) boot phone holding home+power button
    4.) once picture is up, push home+power button again to bring up menu
    5.) flash your device
    6.) reboot
    7.) enjoy android 1.6 build DRC92 (I originally had 1.5 COC10)

33. dannielle

I have been trying and trying to get the update 1.6. I have attempted to downgrade and then upgrade. Just plain upgrade. I have the 1.5 build# crc37. If anyone can help. thx

34. anon

T-Mobile pushed Donut to my MT3G this morning and I accepted the update. It took quite a while to finish doing its thing, but so far, so good. Tried the new camera and was able to toggle its mode from still to movie and back.. slick. They also relocated the shutter button to the screen's lower right which is a little easier to thumb. The new battery usage screen is also cool.. dang display is sapping.. my.. power.. (gasp).

35. Deiterdigetata

I did upgrade my g1 with this link and it worked , but hours after that . . my g mail don't work it get stoked on sync and don go further , i have issues with text to speech also, even after downloading SpeechSynthesis Data Installer , does anybody have the same issues with g1 after updating to donut from link provided on this post ?

Anybody can tell me where to get help to fix this ?

36. yessssssss

ive downgraded my fone from latest cupcake build to rc7 (using cyanogenmod wiki)then upgraded to 1.5 crb17 (cant remember were from)then to crb43 then my g1 updated to donut its self, im from the uk bout g1 from cash converters so pretty sure is from uk bt now i have the US operating system lol seems to work fine

37. Shane Anthony

every time i try to update to 1.6 i get this error…

–install from sdcard…
    Finding update package…
    Opening update package…
    verifying update package…
    installing update…
    E:Error in applypatch
    (Status 256)
    E:Failure at line 276:
    run_program PACKAGE :applypatch –
    c /system/lib/;ibwebcore.so 4850b3b96e59fca563d69a06c73154012f3dd53e 09aefe2e9d4d88899a850c4425cac251e653e1c0
    Installation aborted.

38. Rogers Daddy

OK I JUST TRIED THIS ON A ROGERS BRANDED DREAM. Guess what?… It didnt work. WTF is up with Rogers??? They have signaturered their updates with their own crap. When you call them, they have no idea about what Android is or when an ota update will happen. Rogers sucks balls!

POST A COMMENT.