Verizon: “Stay Tuned for Some Game Changing Products”
“I don’t wanna leave the impression that you will have to wait until next year or our launch of 4G to see the fruits of this partnership.Â In fact over the next several weeks, we’ll begin to announce the initial devices in this family of devices that you’ll see from us over the next several years.Â So stay tuned for some game-changing products beginning in a few weeks.” – Lowell McAdam, Verizon CEO
When it was Eric Schmidt’s turn, he took the opportunity to tout Verizon’s data network as beingÂ the best by far… “Not by 10%,by many multiples.”Â Â He went on to say that they’ve spent a long time working together and Google was surprised by Verizon’s stance on openness,Â adding that they are becoming a leader in that area.Â Weird, right?
A few bullet points we gleaned from the Q&A:
- Android Market will be installed on device out of the box (10,000+ apps available from day 1)
- Verizon plans to support Google Voice “You either have an open device or not.Â We expect to bring that app to market when we bring first device.”
- On the subject of relationships with current handset partners, Verizon says they have very good important partners rapidly expanding their portfolios.Â Many of their handset makers are already developing handsets with Android or plan to adopt the platform.Â Would they favor a company who uses Android?Â Yes.
- 2 handsets will be launching this year and it’s just the beginning of a multi-year roadmap.Â There will be an entire family of devices, not just smartphones or PDAs.Â Different form factors to appeal to different audiences.
- First discussions began with Google about 18 months ago to build something differentiated.Â McAdam: “With these devices, we think we can actually advance the entire discussion forward.”
If you’d like to listen to the replay, you can find it here.
Stay tuned for the Verizon announcements over the coming weeks!