Barnes & Noble’s “nook” Run Android, Has WiFi, PDF Support and More

bn_nookThe buzz word this week seems to be eBook Readers – specifically the Barnes & Noble ‘nook’ which makes its debut today.  Why would an Android site be talking about an eBook Reader, you might ask?  Well as it turns out, this one has Android running under the hood… and that excites us!

What makes the nook so special beyond Android?  Plenty.  According to the FAQ page, there’s all sorts of industry first stuff that ought to help catapult the reader into stockings everywhere this holiday season.  Aside from the standard 6″ E Ink display found on similar devices, there’s a 3.5″ TFT Color LCD Color Touch Screen down below.

Other eBook Reader firsts that the nook gets to lay claim to:

• Touch Control & Navigation
  • 3G and Wi-Fi-enabled eReader
  • LendMe technology (digital lending between nook, iPhone, iPod touch, BlackBerry, PC, and Mac OS
  • Android Operating System

nook_large

And here are a few other goodies that come with the nook:

• Over 1 million ebooks at $9.99
  • Subscriptions to more than 20 major newspapers
  • Store over 1,500 ebooks
  • Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary
  • PDF and JPG support

The nook starts shipping at the end of November with a $259.00 price tag. We’ll be joining the media conference call tomorrow morning and look forward to hearing more great stuff.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6602 posts

AT&T: We’ll throttle ‘Unlimited’ plans at 3GB for 3G, 5GB for 4G LTE

AT&T today confirmed exactly where it is that they will reduce data speeds for their unlimited data plans.  In a statement provided to CNET, the carrier advised that 3G users

Cricket Wireless announces $129 Groove for November 21

Cricket Wireless is set to add another Android device to their portfolio tomorrow as the carrier pulls the curtain back on its new Groove handset. Built by ZTE, the smartphone

SlickLogin acquired by Google for sound-based authentication

Security is always a topic of hot discussion, and more so with a company like Google who host a lot of your information under one roof when it comes to

1. eclipse
    October 21, 00:01 Reply

I don't want another DEVICE, I want Android reader applications for the device I already have.

Why hasn't Fictionwise/eReader stepped up and gotten this done, or provided a way to read what I've bought by removing the DRM?!?!

• Charles_Duffy
      October 21, 00:42 Reply

Unlike you, I _don't_ want to read books on my phone; its screen is tiny, its battery life is limited, and while the resolution is quite good, the look-and-feel just doesn't compete with ink on paper. The same is true of a netbook — the screen may be less tiny, but the form factor just isn't appropriate to purpose, and no LCD is competitive with electronic paper for reading static content.

An e-ink device — in which the display *is* ink on paper — is an entirely different ballpark. It doesn't need to expend energy to keep the image on the page, so battery life is much less of an issue — particularly if I want to keep a particular page open for reference for an extended period.

I, for one, am excited about the Nook.

• MKJ
      October 21, 00:04 Reply

Does anyone else think that charging such an obnoxious sum for an ebook reader is madness? You can get a netbook for that…
      Same goes for book prices, I don't understand how is a *file download* $9.99? I really would like to know how much of this goes to the author, because the cost of uploading it to my device is basically zero.

• Stephen Smith
        February 03, 05:58 Reply

Here is how… It has 3g cell phone coverage for no monthly charges absolutely free. No data rates or charges. Once hacked, you can browse the internet anywhere for free. You can stream music, etc. Only downside is a slow refresh rate on the screen and black and white.

2. My Sky Account
    October 21, 00:03 Reply

This looks really neat! It looks nice how sleek it is and now I want to buy it!

3. johnkzin
    October 21, 01:30 Reply

This, to me, looks pretty identical to the Alex. Which doesn't really interest me that much, as a physical deisgn.

My interest is pretty much focused on the Entourage eDGe, for an e-reader, right now. Which just happens to also be android based, dual 10" screens, and somewhat like a netbook or Microsoft Courier concept. Also a bit more expensive, but probably worth it.

4. Chuck Falzone
    October 21, 01:40 Reply

So this ereader that is running Android has "digital lending technology" that works with iPhone, iPod touch,BlackBerry, PC, and Mac… but not with other Android devices?

5. Lemon
    October 21, 02:40 Reply

I'm more interested in the fact this has PDF and JPG support. Once ebook readers support colour screens then something like Comic piracy is going to be RAMPANT. Bank on it.

Attn: indie comics… get on to this NOW. Let the bigwigs sort this out for themselves, but you need to start making plans early.

6. Parker
    October 21, 07:40 Reply

this might be interesting. i currently have a sony reader that has pdf and jpg support. i love being able to read manga on it in addition to the many books i have in pdf format. heck i started reading more after i bought it since its much easier on the eyes than the computer screen

7. TareX
    October 21, 19:47 Reply

While Barnes and Noble's Nook blew me away, I'm more interested in the less cosmetically appealing Alex, which is armed with the full web…