March 6, 2015

It's Official - Droid Arrives November 6th, Costs $199

droid_official_01Verizon Wireless officially announced today that the Motorola Droid will be launching on November 6th with a $200 price tag.  We have to admit, the cost does come as a surprise considering the specs.  It’s considerably beefier than anything else we’ve seen so far from T-Mobile or Sprint but in the same ballpark in terms of cost.

Among the other items confirmed via Motorola and Verizon:

• Android 2.0 (Eclair)
    • Support for HTML5
    • Exchange support
    • Multiple GMail accounts
    • Improved keyboard
  • 3.7-inch WVGA touch display (480 x 854 pixels)
  • Slide out full QWERTY keyboard
  • 5 megapixel camera with dual-LED flash, autofocus, image stabilization
  • DVD-quality (720 x 480 pixels) video capture at 24 FPS
  • 16GB microSD card
  • EVDO Rev. A, GPS, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR and WiFi

Also included in Android 2.0 is the new Google Maps Navigation application.  Keeping with Google policy, the app is beta and offers voice guided 3D navigation. Verizon also admitted that all of their Android-based devices going forward will fall under the “Droid” moniker.

Pick your Droid up for $200 next week at Verizon Wireless locations around the country!

Related Posts

1. David

And now, the only question for me is whether it's worth an extra $50 to drop T-Mo now, or wait until February.

I don't think I'll be waiting.

2. Josh

What is the standard procedure if you want to upgrade but still have a lot of time on your current verizon contract? Pay out of the nose for it?

• Ian

I asked about that today. A 2 yr contract starts at $175 cancellation fee and drops $5/mo after that…looking at it now, the math doesn't add up, but that's what I was told by a store manager.

3. hazydave

I let my Verizon contract expire nearly a year ago, in anticipation of someone releasing a decent smart phone (eg, not an iPhone or a Blackberry, probably Android-based) on a decent network (eg, not T-Mobile or Sprint). Looks like I'll be packin' a Droid come next Friday!

4. David

The following is from Verizon's website:

"To get the most from DROID by Motorola smartphone, customers will need to subscribe to a Nationwide voice plan and an Email and Web for Smartphone plan. Nationwide voice plans begin at $39.99 for monthly access for 450 minutes and an Email and Web for Smartphone plan is $29.99 for monthly access."

I saw it written elsewhere, though, that this plan doesn't include *any* text messages. Does anyone have any other info on pricing?

5. pinoytutorial

November 6, 2009. Mark that day "Droid Will Kill iPhone lovers" :D

Aside from BGR, engadget had finally "touched" the droid in the flesh. See their "mini" preview clip plus a boring yet informative "trailer" of droid's marketing consultant to let newbies know what they will be having.

video clips + more: http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/motorola-droi

Somebody call 911 for the new droid! :D

6. TareX

Killer phone, killer OS, killer NAVIGATION. Wow….

Now that Google put two companies out of business, I think it's fair to assume that Android 2.5 will finally get "Live" mode, otherwise known as "Enkin"? Those guys have been buried….

But I mean with the navigation and fluid browsing, this phone will be used a lot…. I still think it's a shame battery life won't live up to this phone's potential… In addition to that, the keyboard looks ugly, and the back of the phone looks uglier…

So basically, since I'm in no rush, I think I should wait for HTC's qwerty phone response… if it doesn't have Tegra 2, at least it will be a Snapdragon….

But all in all, I've backed down of my Windows Mobile switch intentions…. Android it will be… Eclair is REALLY good….

7. Tea Vui Huang

Motorola DROID emulator skin now available for Android 2.0 SDK!

The emulator skin faithfully brings the DROID to the Android 2.0 SDK in the original WVGA854 resolution (480×854 high density, normal screen). The emulator skin package, screenshots and installation instructions are available at http://teavuihuang.com/android

POST A COMMENT.