T-Mobile’s Cole Brodman Talks Android at Summit

cole_brodmanCole Brodman, Chief Technology and Innovation Officer for T-Mobile, gave a keynote speech today at Open Mobile Summit where he confirmed the company’s investment in the Android platform.  The final tally of Android handsets will sit at 4 this year – Motorola CLIQ, Samsung Behold II, myTouch 3g, and of course, the G1.

Brodman also announced that later this November, a T-Mobile Channel will appear in the Android Market and carrier billing will roll out for all apps.  It was also noted that the AppPack created by T-Mobile has been refreshed and now includes 34 titles, mixing both paid and free selections.

Cole outlined a few statistics that show usage trends for myTouch 3G owners:

• About half myTouch users visit the Android Market at least once per day.
  • 80% of myTouch users browse the web at least once per day, and 2/3 say several times per day.
  • Nearly half of myTouch users say they have “completely customized” their myTouch.
  • More than 40% of myTouch users access social networking sites multiple times per day.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6578 posts

Three Reasons the Cliq Will Click with Consumers

The press ink is not even dry after the Motorola Cliq was announced this past week and there is already talk of the Cliq’s failure.  Here are my top three

Accessory of the Day: SoundBot Water Resistant Bluetooth Shower Speaker, $35.00

Be honest, you sing in the shower. Don’t be embarrassed, pretty much everyone does. We also like to sing in the rain and break out in tune all over the place, but

Pandora brings personalized station recommendations to Android

Pandora on Wednesday introduced a new personalized station recommendation feature to its Android and iOS app experience.  Listeners will be presented with up to six suggested artist stations to listen

1. Chuck Falzone
    November 04, 19:17 Reply

Feh, I guess that means that if a GSM Sholes is coming to T-mo, it won't be til after the first of the year.

• Kevin
      November 04, 22:56 Reply

Total bummer I am so pumped on that phone coming to tmo. You would think they would release it for the holiday season.

2. Jose
    November 04, 19:47 Reply

No Droid/Sholes-love for T-Mobilers in 2009. Bummer.

3. Davest010
    November 04, 21:55 Reply

It's almost like they want to unload all of the G1 early-adopters onto other providers.

• webby
      November 05, 03:58 Reply

Eggzactly! I was an early G1 adopter and I am ready for an upgrade, but it must be on the order of the droid — faster processor, 2.0, and physical keyboard. If T-Mobile doesn't come out with some serious Android phones instead of these teenie bopper Android thingys, I'm bolting for Big Red and the droid.

• Nick
        November 05, 04:39 Reply

I'm not sure about you, but I'm not willing to jump to Verizon for a new android phone and pay an extra $20 on average a month for the same minutes/data that I get from Tmo. Just not worth it.

• webby
          November 05, 12:18 Reply

If T-Mo doesn't step up with a better Android phone with a keyboard, I might pay the extra to get the droid, plus … a much better 3G network at VZ. T-Mobile's 3G network coverage is very thin.

• Davest010
          November 09, 21:50 Reply

I am. : ) I ordered my Droid yesterday, for $99 from Wirefly. The increased network coverage is key for me – I don't have reliable coverage with T-Mo at home, and switching to VZW will allow me to cancel my $50/mo landline. So I'll have a much better phone, better overall service, and still save ~$30 month. That's a win. : )

4. @SParKlngCyaNide
    November 04, 22:38 Reply

I know 2010 is gonna rock but I really wish there were more surprises for 2009 Holiday. Looks as if Q1 2010 is when its all gonna start! Bring it!

5. Streets Of Boston
    November 04, 23:33 Reply

>> … and carrier billing will roll out for all apps … <<
    good news for developers?

• Mark
      November 05, 01:37 Reply

I think developers would benefit from an Android Market with a search function that was, well, more like Google. It's sad that I've had to resort to using the QR code listed on some reviews in order to get to the application.

6. webby
    November 05, 12:15 Reply

Paying for apps with Google Checkout is just fine … T-Mobile Channel, who cares? … T-Mobie App Pack, I don't need T-Mo nannys to pick my apps for me. How about concentrating on expanding your 3G network???

And how about coming out with a serious advanced Android 2.0 phone with a keyboard, instead of all these lesser Android phones w/o keyboards? If you can't get a GSM version of the droid, get an HTC build. If you don't, a lot of serious G1 users are going to eventually bolt to VZ for the droid.

Wake up T-Mobile!!! Or you are going to become Android irrelevant!