Audio Issues Plaguing Droid Owners

droid_whispersWe’ve seen a few reports of Droid owners experiencing audio issues with ringers and sms volume over the last few days.  Apparently, it’s not something isolated to a select few users and affects people in different ways.  The most common problem can be described as the external sound cutting out completely or dropping down to nearly inaudible.  The quick “fix” is to reboot the phone and hope for the best, but in all reality, nobody wants to do this.

A thread has been started over at Motorola’s Owners Forum for this topic.

Phone will be running perfectly fine, then suddenly all audible sounds are no longer played through the main speaker.  The sounds are all audible only when u pick up the phone and place it to your ear……?!?!  So basically, when recieving (sic) texts or calls, it just vibrates and the ringtone can be heard when put up against ear.  I turn the phone off and back on, and everything’s back to normal.  Then later at some point, it does it again…..Is this happening to anyone else?

This is probably a software issue that can be fixed pretty easily, but for the time being, we recommend not using the Droid as your primary alarm clock.

Anyone else having an issue?  Share the problem below and hopefully Motorola gets wind of this.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6613 posts

LG Thrill 4G to Run $99 with Two-Year Agreements

AT&T has confirmed with CNET that the upcoming LG Thrill 4G will only cost consumers $99 with a two-year service agreement. The price comes in considerably lower than we were

Concept Watch from Fossil Connects to Android Phones

Fossil, the company who makes watches, wallets, money clips and more, have been quietly working on a new concept.  New to them, not necessarily to the world.  A small team within the company has put together a connected watch which will connect to Android and BlackBerry devices. Yes, there have been plenty of failed attempts at this idea, but Fossil thinks they have learned from others.

Phoload Announces Android Support

Phoload, a site dedicated to showcasing free-to-download mobile games and apps that have been uploaded directly to the site by mobile software developers has announced support for Android today. They

1. Polymira
    November 16, 07:09 Reply

I personally haven't had this issue (knock on wood)… the main problem i'm having is the dang autofocus problems (yet, the demo unit at the verizon store focused 20x more often side by side today)

2. @sull
    November 16, 17:22 Reply

Only audio related problem I had was when suddenly voices on calls got distorted (sounded like droids actually). This occurred when i would hit speaker then back to ear… after about 30 seconds some audio drop-outs began and then all audio/voice was distorted and environment noise also was heard through the ear speaker.

• Wilbert
      February 13, 14:10 Reply

I'm having the same distortion problem myself. My audio won't even work.

• Michlb
      May 31, 07:04 Reply

at what did you do to fix it… I am having this problem, but only with Fring.

3. @sull
    November 16, 17:23 Reply

(my comment got cut-off after logging in via twitter….. Here is the rest:

I called Verizon Tech Support for advice. Was told to reseat the battery (soft reboot/reset) and then call *228 option 2 to upgrade roaming capability (software). Have not had the issue again in 2 days.

4. Manchine
    November 16, 18:32 Reply

Happened to me once since buying opening day.

5. EM_
    November 16, 20:36 Reply

Haven't had a single audio or device issue to date, no lockups or force quits required. Too good to be true.

6. JDD
    November 16, 21:03 Reply

Agree with EM_

7. Erland
    November 17, 12:25 Reply

happened to my wife's phone the day after we bought it; we returned to the store and they exchanged it for a new one. I guess we were lucky to be one of the first with the problem…don't know if they'll exchange them now, there are so many

8. James
    November 17, 19:58 Reply

My audio issue consists of all audio being played at about twice normal speed, so music library tracks sound like the chipmunks. this even happens on a 'sound board' app that I downloaded.

• John
      February 24, 21:52 Reply

James, I now have this problem. Did you ever solve it?

Thanks for any reply

9. jacwashere7
    November 18, 19:06 Reply

I had it happen one time and I had just turned the phone off and then back on and hasnt happened yet, I"m sure like most of the other issues the Droid is having they will be all addressed on Dec 11

10. irene
    November 22, 05:28 Reply

It happened to me today. I also have a problem with a video upload to you tube. It was too big to upload and now I can't delete it. Frustrated.

• prowse
      January 12, 02:42 Reply

You can delete it, but you can only delte those :mistakes" using USB conectiovity.

11. cook
    December 01, 14:00 Reply

I’ve had my phone for 4 days and I’ve already started having sound issues! I’m considering going back to best buy and trying to exchange it.

12. girl
    January 08, 00:18 Reply

Happened to me today. Ringer and alert makes a crackling sound. Reboot seems to be working for now.

13. prowse
    January 12, 02:41 Reply

Yep, very common and listed as Defect on code.google.com/p/android/forum, High Priority for 2.1 injection.

14. ashaw
    January 18, 04:41 Reply

I notice the issue when I'm using Pandora plugged into headphones, and then remove the headphones. I'm forced to reboot the phone, happens about 70% of the time.

15. Robert
    January 23, 00:02 Reply

I am trying to stream a cumulus radio station the ticket in Dallas. There is an app called droid cumulus but it doesn't do anything except buffer. Any ideas?

• Brent Ford
      February 28, 18:43 Reply

Hey Robert I am having the same issue and I NEED the ticket! You ever figure it out??

16. Thoughtpositive
    May 20, 15:06 Reply

I am frequently unable to understand my girlfriend when she speaks to me on her Android phone. This happens when I’m on my non ‘Droid cell phone, my landline, or wherever. It’s a microphone problem on her end, I believe. It does not happen when I speak to other people on their non-‘Droid phones. It drives me crazy, and has been the source of some friction in our otherwise wonderful relationship. “What? What? What? I didn’t catch that. Say that again?” It is extremely annoying. Why would anyone buy an a Motorola Android phone? I have no horse in this race. It is simply not an acceptably performing cellular telephone, in my opinion. What?

17. Thoughtpositive
    May 20, 15:06 Reply

18. Jdmarra
    June 04, 02:15 Reply

I have had my Droid for just over a month and experiencing the same issue regarding almost negligible audio when on a call. Phone is useless when cannot hear other person!

19. Stephenegranger
    June 08, 21:12 Reply

I have a Droid 1. The earpiece suddenly quit on me. No warning. To use the phone at all I have to use speaker is there a fix or is the phone toast?

20. Bigreddog
    October 06, 13:36 Reply

All I get anymore is crackling static sound, even with external speakers plugged in.

21. Technotard
    January 04, 08:30 Reply

I’ve only had my Droid Razr Maxx HD for about 3 weeks. The volume randomly turns itself down for no apparant reason. Also, every time I shut it down I have to reset the time for the screen lock. I love this phone but that’s a pain in the butt. It just started doing it. I’m wondering if one of the apps I downloaded is not functional with the phone or gave me a virus.