Droid’s Camera Issues Resolved! (For Now)

droid_360_02You know all those Droid reviews that heaped glowing praise on everything except the camera? All those reports of issues with getting it to focus?

Many sources are reporting that Droid owners awoke to cameras that suddenly worked perfectly today.  Was it a silent patch? Did the lens just need a cleaning?

Nope. Google’s Dan Morrill explained that the camera issues have been pinned down to a date-related bug:

There’s a rounding-error bug in the camera driver’s autofocus routine (which uses a timestamp) that causes autofocus to behave poorly on a 24.5-day cycle. That is, it’ll work for 24.5 days, then have poor performance for 24.5 days, then work again.

The 17th is the start of a new “works correctly” cycle, so the devices will be fine for a while. A permanent fix is in the works.

So, Droid owners, enjoy your cameras while you can, and hopefully you’ll see the issue permanently resolved soon.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4641 posts

BlindType, the Next Big Thing?

There’s a new keyboard on the block and its name is BlindType. As the name and suggests, it’s very tolerant to inaccurate typing. It’s not meant for blind people, but

LG Optimus LTE/4G Appears in Wild, Launching Soon

LG is one of the leading mobile phone manufacturers in the world and recently they introduced the LG Optimus Q2, a touchscreen Android device with a sliding QWERTY keyboard. Apparently

Froogloid’s Key Ring App Now Free

One of the more convenient apps we’ve come across for Android, Key Ring, is now free.  Froogloid’s app removes the need to carry around membership cards or keep tags on

1. Nate
    November 17, 17:19 Reply

Shouldn't we wait for something a little more official than a comment in the middle of Engadget?

• Chuck Falzone
      November 17, 17:27 Reply

Dan Morrill is a pretty reliable source, but that it's not particularly official is the reason this post is filed under "rumors and more."

• Nate
        November 17, 17:30 Reply

I'm not disputing that he's a reliable source.

My problem is that, just like here, anyone can call themselves whatever they want when they comment on Engadget. How do any of us know who really made the comment?

• Nate
            November 17, 17:45

I did a little digging myself and found the Twitter account too.

So, I'll take it for what it is. It appears to be a date bug. It doesn't explain why mine will now focus no matter what date I put in, when it couldn't focus at all before today. I guess I'll just accept that mine is the exception to the rule.

• Chuck Falzone
            November 17, 18:14

You're able to set the date on a Droid? Doesn't it just pull it from teh interwebz?

• Nate
            November 17, 18:25

You can set the date yourself under the Date and Time settings, or you can have the network define it.

2. newspeak
    November 17, 12:22 Reply

wait….so the droid gets pms…..shit

• bob
      November 17, 17:45 Reply

lol…so much for being more masculine than the iPhone… (I still love mine, even if he get's pms)

• Nate
      November 17, 17:31 Reply

I know there's a bug. I own the phone and have been dealing with the camera issues from day one.

However, when I set the date back on my Droid, it still focuses. Going back in time doesn't recreate the original problem.

3. denis2342
    November 17, 17:39 Reply

the exact cycle is 24.855134814814814 days

4. @tkilla454
    May 24, 03:41 Reply

mines still bad. so i was trying to film skating today and it was blurry but if you put it up to something like your hand it was super hd but then far things looked terrible so i turned off and turned it back on and it was good for a while but then later on in the night like actually 50 mins. ago i checked it and it sucked … why?!

5. dtrinch
    June 04, 14:58 Reply

mine is still bad as well, for a few months now. doesnt focus at all and red bars around the screen when taking a picture. anyone have any answers! took phone to the verizon store and they are clueless and hadnt heard about the bug. they said to wipe out my phone, get it back to factory and try it then. what do you think???