Android Market Acting Up for Developers [RESOLVED]

android_market_bagThere is something happening on Android Market right now and it is a pretty big deal to developers. As owner of three apps (DroidIn, DroidIn-Lite and Hire*A*Droid) I’ve recently noticed that:

1. Overall and current download numbers are considerably down.
  2. Number of reviews is about 1/3 down

Other people are starting to notice – there is discussion on Google Developer Groups and the Android Market forum as well as some noise on Twitter

What makes it even weirder is that my developer console (Android Market developer site) still shows old numbers which is probably due to caching.

Hello, I am the owner of LucanaTech, a company that develops software for Android.

The Android Market has been experiencing serious problems in the last few hours. Several developers (including me) complain that the download counts and the user ratings for some apps are not reported correctly. The download counts show much lower numbers than they should, and many ratings appear lost. We all hope Google is working to fix this.

No official word yet on what it is.  Any other developers experiencing similar issues?

UPDATE: The problem seems to be fixed.  Download counts and user ratings are back to normal both on the Developer Console and on the Android Market.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

Exclusive Nexus One Holiday Game

It looks like Google has a special treat planned for those lucky enough to be holding onto a Nexus One this holiday season.  When most people visit this site, they

HTC Appeals to Developers with HTCdev and OpenSense SDK

In an effort to attract developers and interest around their Sense UI, HTC unveiled the OpenSense SDK and an accompanying website, HTCdev.com. The hope here is that developers utilize their

AG Twitter Weekly Updates for 2009-03-01

The week in tweets. Subscribe to our Twitter feed if you haven’t already!

1. AndGhost
    November 19, 12:41 Reply

Hello,

I am the developer of ParisIti and ParisIti demo, from France. I experience the same issue. And I am not the only one in France. So it seems it is a general problem …

It's weird, because only my demo version is affected, not the other one. And the displayed number of ratings is not the same in the developer console, and in the Android market.

AndGhost

2. musta
    November 19, 13:18 Reply

i'm not a developer, but as an user my guess would be that getting more popular the "quality" of the user is lowering thus no much time to spend on review nor scavenging into the market (that is, to say, not really easy, especially due to the few criteria available -date and popularity).

My two cents

3. iPaul Pro
    November 19, 13:22 Reply

Is this article stating that the number of downloads and reviews have slowed down, as compared to the "average" rate? Or did you mean that the reporting from Google is "down," as in, not functioning? The term "down" is quite ambiguous and I finished reading this article not knowing what it was about.

I have published 5 apps (3 apps really, 2 with "pro" versions) (pub: Finer Mobile). While I do not keep a close watch on actual download numbers, it seems that sales have not slowed down at all. However, since my apps only receive limited exposure, it may not be as obvious to me, as it would be with a featured or popular app.

@Bo Stone – please try to be more specific with these reports, and more deliberate with your wording. I'm interested in what, specifically, convinced you that things are "down." (and what exactly that means)

4. Nivek
    November 19, 13:45 Reply

The meaning of the article is that applications which were listed as downloaded 10000 times are now listed as downloaded 500 times (this is an example).

My app is not affected.

5. jsdf
    November 19, 13:55 Reply

Some of my apps were affected – number of reviews went from hundreds to tens on the dev console. But, on the G1, still shows the right star rating and ranking.

6. Mobilehavoc
    November 19, 08:58 Reply

May or may not be related but it also appears that after the Sprint Hero got the update last night I can no longer see any purchased apps in the Market. They’ve disappeared leaving me with the inability to update ones that are installed or worse reinstall purchased apps that weren’t on my phone prior to the update.

There’s something seriously wrong with Android Market right now to say the least.

7. peter
    November 19, 14:20 Reply

I am a developer of a paid app, and what I noticed this morning was my app jumped up dramatically in its position. It has been between 10th-15th for the last month or so, and suddenly this morning its 3rd in paid category for Health (Baby ESP)! It's not just my app, all the other top apps are shuffled around considerably with quite a few new ones showing up.

8. Juan
    November 19, 09:27 Reply

Hi,
    I am Colombian and one of the developers of two Android apps: Tie Your Money and Whizzes for Life.
    I am facing the same issue you report, pelase keepo us updated.
    Best regards,
    Juan.

9. Geoff
    November 19, 14:35 Reply

I noticed this problem this morning on two of my less popular apps. But checking now, it seems to have resolved itself. Maybe Google already fixed it?

10. droidin
    November 19, 15:43 Reply

At least for my apps everything is back to normal counts. No word from Google what it was? A little apology would be nice but I'm not counting on that

• Davest010
      November 19, 15:55 Reply

Perhaps it would be a good idea to post an update in the article itself, so that we don't have to scroll down to a random comment to learn that the situation has been solved.

11. @lucanatech
    November 19, 16:00 Reply

Hi,

this morning everything seems back to normal, both on the Developer Console and on the Android Market. The download counts and user ratings for my apps are back to what they should be.

So, Google fixed the problem overnight, at least in the US. Are the numbers back for you guys too?

Luca

• droidin
      November 19, 16:58 Reply

Yes – for me. Interesting though if Google will acknowledge this – this was scary and community noticed it all right

12. schwiz
    November 19, 16:04 Reply

I just checked the dev console, and my numbers are up since last time I checked…

13. Paolo Amoroso
    November 22, 19:07 Reply

For the record, as a user I was NEVER able to post reviews to Android Market.

14. Dan Hesse
    November 22, 23:11 Reply

FYI for those are clueless. The android market is still broken.. will be broken and does NOT show apps for Sprint Hero users that are copy protected. We've all resorted to piracy since it actually fixes the issue.
    Sprint is aware of the problem as of yesterday, took them 3 days to get a clue, HTC blames sprint. and I blame Google. So nothing will get done.

Thought I'd throw that little factoid out there. Enjoy the sales.

15. sheenjhon
    December 08, 13:09 Reply

The topic discussed in this post is a matter of real concern.But I'm sure google is gone a get a perfect solutions for this problem.
    Mio Navman Spirit V505

16. m3 zero
    March 23, 09:12 Reply

Android Market helps developers get their applications in the hands of users by acting as an open distribution system. A beta version is now available on the world’s first Android-powered phone, the T-Mobile G1.

17. Dan Hess
    July 29, 11:14 Reply

18. Anonymous
    May 02, 19:21 Reply

Android Market helps developers get their applications in the easily of users by acting as an accessible administration system. A beta adaptation is now accessible on the world’s aboriginal Android-powered phone.

shoebuy coupon code

19. Anonymous
    May 03, 19:25 Reply

May or may not be relevant, but it also appears Sprint has been updated after the hero, last night I no longer see any applications in the market to buy. They have gone left me unable to install or update applications worse re-purchase.
    vistaprint coupon codes

20. how to sell a business
    June 15, 20:13 Reply

I think it is a watershed information for the all android developers since android market is acting up for them.  It is really exciting.

21. Coupon Coder
    June 26, 02:40 Reply

Yeah there is a lot of potential for android apps and still seem to be doing well in providing quality over quantity

22. Coupon Coder