$100M Marketing Campaign for Droid Seems to be Paying Off

verizon300x200_blackVerizon is putting $100 million into marketing of the Droid, and so far the carrier has to be pleased with the results.  Less than a month after release, the only handset to sport Android 2.0 has sold somewhere between 700,000-800,000 units.

Verizon’s big marketing push for the Droid is strengthening as we close in on the holidays, and following our round of checks, we believe about 700,000 to 800,000 Droids have been sold, making our hurdle of 1 [million] Motorola Droids achievable for 4Q09 [ending December 31].  Motorola, for its part, has done a good job on the production side, and our survey of over 100 stores indicates strong demand, limited stock outs, and very few returns. – Mark Sue, Analyst, RBC Capital Markets

The Droid media blitz seems like money well spent to us.  We’ve run into more than a few people who were fascinated by Droid and what it could do.  I’ve personally seen at least 3 friends jump from BlackBerry to Droid and expect more as time goes (and contracts run out).  I can’t pick up a magazine or turn on the television without seeing that red eyeball staring back at me.

What do you guys think?  It is a good campaign?  A good investment?  Too much?  I’d like to hear your opinion on the ad campaign.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6607 posts

Verizon calls up LG Transpyre for prepaid line

Verizon has added the LG Transpyre to its selection of prepaid phones. A decent little phone, as it has a 4.5-inch display with a 800 x 480 resolution, 5-megapixel main camera,

Ebay for Android Now Available in Australia, Canada, & UK

BusinessWire is reporting that eBay has updated their popular eBay for Android app. It’s now available in Australia, the UK, and Canada, as well as the United States, of course.

No Donuts For Canadians (Confirmed)

Just as “Android in Canada” put it, get ready for a slap in the face my fellow igloo dwelling, beaver loving friends. While many Canadians have opted to root their

1. micah
    November 30, 23:46 Reply

I have had quite a few people ask about my Hero with comments like "is that the new droid phone?" So, while there is a bit of confusion, it sounds like basic idea of "droid=iphone without apple and ATT headaches" seems to be getting through to the masses.

2. Dan Foss
    December 01, 03:45 Reply

It is not only helping Verizon and Droid, people actually seem to know what Android and Google phones are now. Before they had no idea what my G1 was, nor did they care. Literally no idea. Now they say, oh is that one of those Google Phones? Happened again today at the car rental counter. Can hardly wait for Eclair!!

3. droidin
    December 01, 19:02 Reply

I run some usage stats on my app Hire*A*Droid and it is just fascinating to see how steadily Droid usage is rising. It's now bypassed MyTouch 3G and is only lagging behind G1. That of course given that app is only build for 1.6 and up and used predominantly in US.
    My numbers for November are:
    G1 – 39.2%
    Droid – 31.8%
    MyTouch – 28.4%
    Rest is very thinly spread between "other" phones

4. JustAPhoneUser
    December 01, 19:57 Reply

I have noticed the same thing. People now see my g1 and ask if it is one of those droid phones. When I say it is just like one they ask to see Google nav, etc. Before the droid people had no clue and did not care. The number of android devices in the wild is starting to really add up!

5. Justin
    December 01, 23:38 Reply

HA now that I think about it I get that question all the time to. Wow, well I am super stoked. For those of is NOT on Verizon we can still benefit. As the market increased more apps and more goodies will….well should likely come our way….mmmm goodies!

6. mike
    December 02, 02:19 Reply

Definite increase in recognition since Droid campaign was launched. I think the actual commercials could be better. They should show what the phone can actually do and how well it integrates with other google products. They really need to leverage google's brand recognition and build on the userbase of gmail, calendar, search etc…

7. @chaselikecheese
    December 02, 07:38 Reply

The Droid phone and supplemental campaign have officially made "Droid" a household buzzword. Only a few at my work are very tech gear savvy, yet I have EVERYONE asking me about how I like my Droid phone. Moto and Big Red have done it right this time… they have essentially made a new iPod/iPhone… every Android phone from this point out will be considered a Droid phone…

8. Laurence
    December 03, 19:15 Reply

Well, speaking for me personally, I was totally taken in by the "hype" that Verizon created with their marketing before the Droid was released. When I first saw the original "iDon't" ad, it intrigued me, but I figured "eh, just another over-hyped phone. It won't be anything really all that great." But after doing some research, I realized it was truly going to be a game-changer. Had Verizon not made their initial commercials so noticeable, I probably never would've bothered with the research that "turned me on" to the Droid. So, yeah, their marketing for this phone has been 100% successful, at least for me.

9. Interviewwithdraw
    December 06, 17:02 Reply

Totally Board,entire strategy decade solicitor severe while under information roof award good desk figure next familiar entirely consequence cut clearly reduce young link sun below discuss priority as travel can report firm provide close us understanding distinction feel strong provision site burn name green object weak weak few start model size husband hear sit vision contain imagine degree light it broad hard release relief decide family revolution bag little grow get court the settle amount investigation possibly despite normal usually department speed add branch sign well attend whether on fast writer side peace

10. dog tags for dogs
    April 05, 02:16 Reply

Verizon is not very big in Canada though. Virgin did come here from scratch and expanded beautifully, I dont see why they couldnt

11. Harnesses for dogs
    May 02, 19:01 Reply

Professionals will be quick to switch from the Blackberry to a device which supports Android 2.0 for it's ease of use and reliability. BB is rather an inconvenience to browse through.

12. Painters4u
    May 10, 09:18 Reply

This post was very nicely written, and it also contains a lot of useful facts.
    I enjoyed your professional manner of writing the post. Thanks, you have made it easy for me to understand.

13. Glamour&you
    May 27, 11:58 Reply

Though I would've loved it much more if you added a relevant video or at least pictures
    to back up the explanation, I still thought that your write-up quite helpful.
    It's usually hard to make a complicated matter seem very easy.
    I enjoy your weblog and will sign up to your feed so I will not miss anything. Fantastic content.

• lawyers disability
      April 11, 08:47 Reply

This week, in response to the Times article and
      the outrage generated amongst progressives and
      others who care about the truth the Pentagon a
      nnounced it’s suspending it’s program. (:| :> :
      x 😡 8-X 😉 😛 :-& :) 😀 >:) >:) >:)
      :-& :-& /:) /:) /:) /:) :)) :)) 😡 😡
      =(( =(( =(( :-/ :-/ $-) 😐 :-O [-( B-)
      =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> 😛 <):)
      <):) 😛 >:P >:P =; =; 😕 😕
      😕 😛 😛 😛 😛 😛 😛 😛 😛 😛 😛
      😛 (:| (:| (:| (:|…lawyers disability

14. Slipper island
    June 06, 10:38 Reply

Thanks for the video on the Droid. Interesting to see where this leads.

15. Lemonade Pills
    June 06, 20:31 Reply

Have also just swapped from a blackberry to a droid. Thanks for the info

16. Sell Gold
    July 12, 18:50 Reply

I think it was a great investment. Most of my friends, including myself, have switched from the iPhone. That did have mostly to do with AT&T's shitty service but still I would never even have known about the droid phones without the heavy advertising.

17. Jessica
    July 20, 07:20 Reply

I have never thought that surfing online can be so much beneficial and having found your blog, I feel really happy and grateful for providing me with such priceless information. http://simulationassuranceauto.org

18. Free Relationship Advice
    September 30, 08:38 Reply

Everone asking to me about how exactly I love my Droid phone. Moto as well as Large Red have done it correct this time around.Therefore I going to buy one with regard to my spouse.

Health Tips

19. starcraft
    November 09, 00:52 Reply

Awesome magazine. I really enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!

20. forex
    February 25, 00:09 Reply

Thanks for all this info. Great post and so much info. I think this will help alot of people become more informed to make decisions on where they are heading.