Google Goggles Now a Reality – Download Today!

google_goggleWe just learned of the new Visual Search from Google over the weekend, but it turns out the search service is ready to go!  Forget that waiting period we were expecting while Google employees tested the app out.  Apparently, they’ve been playing with this for months now.

Head to the Android Market and download Google Goggles and get in on the new way of searching.  Using your camera phone, you can snap a picture of books, landmarks, artwork, places, contact information get Google results instantly.  Yes, it’s free!  Perhaps it’s the skeptic in us but we tried this out a couple of times and found the app to be considerably more accurate than expected.

There’s a handy video that helps users understand what works well and what doesn’t.  This will be one app we’re going to enjoy watching evolve!

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6603 posts

Getac releases PS326: Android-powered, Milspec-carrying beast of a handset

Once upon a time, Windows Mobile dominated the smartphone space, offering up a plethora of different device types for a variety of occupations, including those in extreme environments. Fast-forward a

Featured

Nexus 6 render leaks from familiar source

What you see here is a Nexus 6 render from once-prolific Twitter source @evleaks. It’s been a while since we’ve seen anything along these lines from Mr. Blass (who has

XDA Hacks Google Wallet onto All Nexus S Devices

The guys over at XDA have done what we had hoped Google was going to do a few weeks back.  If you own a Nexus S handsets on T-Mobile or

1. Mickey G
    December 07, 20:52 Reply

These guys never rest!

An amazing digital world lies before us…

2. Wyatt
    December 07, 21:47 Reply

Already got it and so far it is sweet!

3. Stephen
    December 07, 22:47 Reply

Is it by chance Android 1.6+ required? Cause my Hero isn't finding it.

• Stephen
      December 07, 23:18 Reply

ah! Should've seen that. Thanks. Here's hoping HTC (or xda devs) roll out a 2.x ROM soon!

4. @visionmix
    December 07, 23:03 Reply

The greatest thing about google, that no other company does is this: every time they put something new out… I end up saying… That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. Sure enough, google goggles is the coolest thing I have ever seen. Been playing with it all morning and it is surprisingly accurate.

5. robert B
    December 08, 01:45 Reply

Why dont you guys put the code symbol on your articles of the applic ations your taking about. Make it easier than having to go to the lousy market looking for it. Thanks anyway, great article.

6. @kylepozan
    December 08, 06:53 Reply

You wanna know what's not cool? Android is already on its way to following in the footsteps of Windows Mobile – leaving people behind. Why not make the application 1.5 compatible, and then releasing an update for the application once the Hero, Eris, and Cliq are updated to 2.0?

This type of stuff makes me wish for the "One Phone, One OS" model that Apple employs.

7. mike
    December 08, 08:49 Reply

not appearing on Hero in the UK

8. @Jamesch85
    December 08, 13:31 Reply

I am just planning to buy a G1. Am I going to be able to put 1.6 on G1 and then run this app?

9. JustAPhoneUser
    December 08, 23:03 Reply

I downloaded it to my G1, opened the app, turned around and took a picture of a print hanging on my wall, and within a few seconds the full history of the painting was at my finger tips. The print was of an obscure Picasso, one that was put into archives after only one exhibition. I was very impressed.

Man, Navigation+Google Voice+Goggles+Listen, etc… Android is getting good.

10. chrstein
    December 09, 13:46 Reply

So, how does one suggest that a guy from Norway can download Goggles to his HTC Tattoo when Android Market does not offer this download? Any suggestion/download link would be much appreciated!:0)

• Hiro
      December 14, 00:14 Reply

in order to have it on hero you need fimware upgrade – htc is working on v 2.0 for hero, due in 1st qtr 2010 – nothing you can do for now.

• chrstein
        December 15, 12:19 Reply

Ok, but I am trying to install it on my Tattoo. Android Marked is not opened for paid downloads yet, anyone got an alternative download source?

11. manuel
    December 16, 06:33 Reply

Using search in android market I have been unable to find Google Goggles. I am using a Samsung Behold II on T-Mobile.

• Bobbo
      January 26, 20:24 Reply

needs android 1.6 and we only have 1.5

12. Charlotte
    December 17, 10:15 Reply

Hey, I really want it for my HTC tattoo and when I search for it it says there are no matches found…WHY??

13. Oui D
    February 08, 14:57 Reply

i can't see it in my tattoo :~ i really want it

14. Joca
    June 29, 22:33 Reply

HTC Tattoo camera is useless for tasks like that, no focus and no quality at all. I have one and i feel like i was robbed by HTC. No decent camera (my 2megapixel 30 buck cellphone cam is way better) no bluetooth file transfer… and i dont understand all the discussion about android 2.1 in Tattoo… i sent an email to HTC and they said there will be no 2.1 update for my crapy Tattoo… sell it fast or root it.