T-Mobile Gets a “Top Picks” Section in the Android Market.

T-Mo Picks 02What once as an application created for the MyTouch 3G launch has turned into a dedicated area within the Android Market. The “Downloads” link from the main landing page of the market has been replaced with a “T-Mobile” label.  This entirely new section showcases applications, both paid and free, which they consider to be “Top Picks.”

The link to the “My Downloads” area is now found by hitting the Menu button.

News of this new section does introduce some questions, including:

• What does this look like for non-T-Mobile customers?
  • Will there be similar sections created for other carriers?
  • Does this hint at revenue-sharing deals with carriers?

T-Mo Picks 01 T-Mo Picks 03

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4641 posts

Bolt Comes out of Beta, Arrives in Android Market with 3.0 Release

Bolt Browser, an alternative web client for Android that we’ve profiled a few times, has finally come out of beta.  Arriving in the Android Market today, this v3.0 release works

Android Beyond Java, Part One

Want to develop for Android, but Java isn’t your thing? Learn more about alternative Android programming options in this this week’s series of posts on Building ‘Droids!

In Brief: 9 Android related things you should know (March 22, 2013)

In Brief is a compilation of notifications, rumors, photos, videos, infographics, and Android-related news tidbits which, for whatever reason, did not end up with a post of its own on

1. Paul
    December 16, 03:44 Reply

Verizon has had the same thing since Droid's launch.

2. jeremy
    December 15, 23:13 Reply

I wrote on my blog about this also, My second thoughts on it is…. not a big deal for me.

3. Patrick
    December 16, 04:34 Reply

All carrier's are free to customize the market. Verizons done it since launch. You do not see other carrier's sections

4. Joe
    December 16, 05:10 Reply

Huh… as a San Diego T-Mobile customer, I don't see it.
    Anything to do with Cyanogen? I doubt it…

• @luke911
      December 16, 05:48 Reply

Actually if you are running cyanogen's build i don't believe you will see the t-mobile button. Pretty sure Cyanogen has the stock market from the AOSP as his builds had the new market before the official 1.6 release on the tmobile g1.

• JOhnny
        December 16, 06:29 Reply

I just updated to 4.2.8.1 and I noticed the T-Mobile tab in the Market earlier today.

5. dethduck
    December 16, 03:50 Reply

The t-mobile tab showed up this week after market updated itself from v.1620 to v.1660. However v.1660 doesn’t have account billing which is supposed to be rolling out now. Wish they had just updated to that version directly instead of this pointless pitstop.

6. spas528
    December 16, 08:57 Reply

it also made the market app grow to 1.43mb (after clearing its cache) and it now has the option under (Manage Applications) to "uninstall updates"

7. David
    December 17, 22:20 Reply

Funny I don't have this tab… I have an unrooted myTouch