Nexus One Traffic Patterns Solidify T-Mobile Rumors

Localytics is a company that provides mobile app analytics for top mobile applications on Android phones as well as BlackBerry and iPhone. Their blog is reporting tonight that by mining on the traffic data collected by them, information on the Nexus One has been uncovered.  To them, it seems to backup up the claims made over the weekend by the Wall Street Journal and other media outlets, about the device being sold unlocked and directly by Google, but with T-Mobile as launch partner providing 3G services.

localytics_dogfood

So far this is the information the traffic patterns detected by Localytics bears out:

• The heaviest usage has been on T-Mobile in the US, over both Edge and UMTS (3G)
  • All usage on AT&T was over Edge; inline with reports that 3G support is limited to the 1700 Mhz band used by T-mobile in the US.
  • The Nexus One is already appearing on networks outside of the US, with traffic coming from countries including Australia, Germany and the Netherlands—and some of those connections are 3G.
  • The most recent devices are running the ERD72, ERD56C and ERD65 versions of Android 2.1.
  • Verizon and Sprint subscribers will likely have to wait as all usage so far has been over GSM-based operators.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

Sony opens registration for Google TV devs

Sony is now accepting registration for developers who want to get in on their Sony Internet TV. Also known as the NSX-46GT1, the Sony Internet TV is the first HDTV

Chrome for Android gets first update since leaving beta

Google Chrome has been updated for the first time since it’s release from beta. The update includes security and stability improvements and now has new location preference integrated. Google also made

10 more awesome icon packs for Android

So you’ve gotten into customizing your phone or tablet a bit and now you want to tweak a bit more. Have you checked out our 25 fantastic icon packs post

1. ari-free
    December 16, 08:35 Reply

How is t-mobile going to pull this off? How will it have the network coverage to do something like google nav or use data for voip instead of voice? I don't know…even if the phone was free I don't think I would be interested in t-mobile's network because I don't think it would be there when I need it the most.

2. dethduck
    December 16, 03:57 Reply

Don’t forget they are implementing HSPA 7.2 by the end of this month and HSPA+ a few months later. Speed enough.

3. ari-free
    December 16, 09:14 Reply

and that will cover everywhere? I don't want to be stuck somewhere and not have a call go through because I'm not in their map.

4. dethduck
    December 16, 04:26 Reply

Good point. Granted, T-Mobile has been on a mission rolling out 3G these last few months, but outside of those major cities your not gonna get much more than edge. Voip on a mobile doesn’t seem practical. Though I would fault Google for this lack me foresight as they are the ones who want it to be voip.

5. dethduck
    December 16, 04:30 Reply

Hmm. Just noticed in the artcles bullet points they’re using gsm for voice not voip.

6. ari-free
    December 16, 11:37 Reply

It's a bit of a letdown. A phone that lets you switch between sprint and verizon would be great for competition and Android adoption…instead we get dinky little t-mobile.

7. DMAGIC448
    December 16, 08:17 Reply

@Ari-Free – Dinky little T-mobile is the only reason Android is where it is today. Nobody else wanted Android. Sprint & Verizon both spoke negativly of Android just a year ago when the G1 was released and now have adopted it. Sorry if you live in East Bum F$*K and cant get service. Maybe you should try moving out of the Sticks. I’ve had a G1 since launch and travel frequently for my job & have not run into one problem as far as coverage goes and with T-mobiles aggressive roll out of 7.2mbps (presumably to complement this device)and cheaper pricing points, they are the carrier to look out for. Move over Sprint, T-mobile gunnin’ for your spot!! Maybe you should get a Boost Mobile phone instead. “Where u at?” LoL

• Joe Cruz
      December 16, 13:35 Reply

Yea don't hate on T-mobile. Magic is right, their coverage is growing by the minute and getting faster by the second.

• elijahblake
        December 16, 14:19 Reply

I live in Jackson, MS the STATE CAPITAL…. And Tmobile is the ONLY service provider that doesn't have 3g according to their map. They barely have 3g in anywhere in MS. So thanks, but no thanks Google. I guess I'll just have to get the freaking iphone after all :(

• ari-free
          December 16, 14:43 Reply

t-mobile may be cute and pink but at least they aren't evil like AT&T.

• ari-free
        December 16, 14:48 Reply

Perhaps…but this phone is supposed to be released in January. There will be an enormous demand for data with this phone, especially with google nav.

• elijahblake
      December 16, 14:21 Reply

upgrading their non existing 3g coverage to a faster speed really doesn't benefit a lot of people…

• ari-free
      December 16, 14:41 Reply

heard of this small town called NYC? Verizon FTW

8. Leachpunk
    December 16, 15:02 Reply

and dinky little T-mobile… only the 2nd largest wireless telecom service in the world…

9. irongamer
    December 16, 17:34 Reply

This works for me. All these sites keep saying the google phone "won't work with at&t", which should really say, "won't work with at&t's 3g". Edge it appears still works for at&t. I'll I'm after is being able to make a call on the phone not surf over a cell network.

I want access to the android apps, a small handheld computer with wifi, the ability to make a phone call, not forced to buy a data plan and only one device to carry around.

This phone looks like the ticket. Especially if it $200 or less.

10. jeremy
    December 16, 12:41 Reply

Obviously Ari is a tmobile hater. I have no problem running google maps nav on edge network in oregon. Have you ever even had T-Mobile lately? Sorry for the guys that have no coverage cause Tmobs has been my best experience with a wireless company yet, and yes I’ve had them all.

• ari-free
      December 16, 21:58 Reply

I don't hate t-mobile. T-mobile is small but are trying their best. But I don't think they are quite ready for the Big G. Everyone uses Google and they will expect to use it everywhere. They will test the data network to the limit.
      We've already seen what happened to AT&T after the iPhone. The network is one of the reasons why even die-hard iPhone lovers are switching to Droid. :)

11. alamoe
    December 16, 15:57 Reply

Tmobile is stepping up; I live in auburn, al which no one would consider a “big city,” and we got 3G yesterday. And its FAST!

12. just some dude
    December 25, 19:06 Reply

Its just logical that google looked at tmo's network and tmobile made assurances to the fact that they can provide appropriate bandwidth. Google doesn't want to jump in to just any carrier, they did there homework.

13. JC
    January 06, 13:53 Reply

I live in Oregon and have T-Mobile and 9 times out of 10 I get SOS. I cannot use my NEW BB in my office and now I am starting to get SOS at home. I do not want to use WI-FI all the time as it depletes the battery life. Oh and the worst part is there is a T-Mobile Tower within a mile from my house and 2 miles from work and I still can’t get a signal. I have sent my NEW BB back 3 times because they keep saying I have a bad phone. Three people in my office using three different phones that have T-Mobile do not get coverage either. Everyone else in my office has Verizon or AT&T and seem to have no problems getting a signal. A customer service rep from T-Mobile told me that T-Mobile lost the ability to ping other towers back in March and that is why coverage has been spotty at best. So why if I am so frustrated do I not switch carriers because I just signed another two year contract for my NEW BB, and bad coverage is not reason to get out of your contract. I am scared one day I am going to be stuck somewhere on a roadside and not be able to get help, main reason for having the phone in the first place. Any suggestions out there how I can get better coverage with T-Mobile? To think I had Verizon 8 years ago when their coverage was one of the worst, guess I should have stuck it out!

14. enoki
    January 09, 14:45 Reply

think about all the good things t moble has done for us thou i suggest getting the unlocked version
    becuasse i did the math and for tmoble u HAVE to pay for a 2 year contract plan which adds up to 80 bucks per month and that equals 2k+ including phone unlocked costs 530

15. jhow
    January 09, 23:37 Reply

enoki, you sure did your math (2k vs 530?!). I presume your new service provider doesn't charge you for service