Rumor du Jour: G1 to Get Android 2.0 (Or Higher)

T-Mobile G1 owners have been waiting on pins and needles for the day they learn that their beloved sweetheart handset will no longer be supported with software updates.  At first, the rumor was that Donut might not make it.  Now we’re hearing, and even somewhat thinking, that Android 2.0 (Eclair) will not fit or run well on the device.  Along comes a rumor that could put us at ease for just a little bit longer…

AndroidSPIN is reporting that the T-Mobile G1 will be updated to Android 2.0/2.01 in the near future. There’s no mention of how or where the news comes from specifically, but according to them, an OTA update has been prepped to roll out.

The update will be at least Android 2.0 but more likely Android 2.0.1 as both versions have already been prepared as OTA updates.  An anonymous source of ours has confirmed that both the Android 2.0 and the Android 2.0.1 are in the hands of some very fortunate people.  Nothing can be released just yet due to Non Disclosure reasons.

So, G1 owners… how does that news sit with you?!

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6577 posts

Logitech debuts K810 backlit Bluetooth keyboard

Logitech today introduced a new Bluetooth keyboard which will work with just about any mobile device you can think of, across all the major mobile platforms.  Dubbed the K810, it’s

Last.fm Officially Arrives in the Android Market

Social networking musical app, Last.fm has finally landed on Android.  Called Android.fm, it brings all of the features of the online client to your pocket. If you are not familiar

Moto Droid Bionic Announced for Verizon

We’ve been hearing a lot about a few LTE Android devices for Verizon, like the HTC Thunderbolt (aka Incredible HD) and of course the Moto XOOM tablet. But Motorola apparently had another trick up its sleeve, and it’s called the Droid Bionic.

1. ppp
    December 28, 02:32 Reply

Honestly? don't care. I'm extremely happy with cyanogenmod. There's no excuse for NOT using that

• @velazcod
      December 28, 04:47 Reply

if they release this, along with an ADP1/ADP2 image, cyanogenMod will only get better because now cyanogen will be able to update cyanogenMod to eclair, then we'll be even happier.

• phroghollow
      December 28, 14:38 Reply

Quite a few excuses, well reasons actually, 1 the provider I have my phone through refuses warranty work on phones that have anything other than the standard OS provided by them, 2 its a pain in the butt working through all the steps to actually do it right and finally 3 its bloody easy to brick your phone in the process, now pull your head in.

• @haystraw
        December 29, 06:12 Reply

Fine reasons, but trust us when we say that the cyanogen mod is like getting a whole new phone. In my opinion, well worth the minor risk. I'm happy to see Android 2.0 for the G1, just because I know the cyanogen guys will mod it. :)

2. jeremy
    December 27, 23:26 Reply

This is good news for all g1 owners if it is true. I’m still gettin the Nexus 1 when its available though. My trust in Android without a phys keyboard has grown exponentially since I got the g1, especially with a little bigger screen. At least until a second gen with a physy comes out.

3. Derrick Barra
    December 27, 23:52 Reply

Like an above poster said, cyanogen has already got me covered. And I’ll be waiting for the G1’s successor, too many apps that I love require a physical keyboard (Yonghz’s emulators!).

4. kastanien extrakt
    December 28, 05:36 Reply

Hi,
    I think G1 will be on the market as a top phone and will continue to have a following in 2010.G1 always rocks.

5. Dave
    December 28, 13:02 Reply

Good news because I refuse to give up the G1 keyboard.

6. joe.attaboy
    December 28, 13:56 Reply

I fell the same as the others. I have CM, I'm rooted, I'm happy. I'm also kind of lusting for the Nexus, if and when it appears, but I'm wondering about giving up the keyboard. The addition of the on-screen keyboard on the G1 has tempered my absolute need for the physical one, but I fear I might miss it.

7. johnkzin
    December 28, 20:32 Reply

Since there isn't yet a worthy successor to the G1 (5 row qwerty, t-mobile-usa 3g), this is definitely good news.

8. ProudGeekDad
    December 31, 14:01 Reply

This is good news for G1 users. Has anyone heard about the MyTouch getting updated? I have to assume that would be getting updated as well!