10 Nexus One Questions and Answers

After going from hot rumor to official announcement, it’s time we take a look at what the Nexus One is and isn’t.  We’ll do our best to get to the point and answer any questions you might have about the phone.  Below are the top 10 questions we’ve been receiving from readers and interested parties.  Feel free to add your own questions at the end for others!

What is the Nexus One?
As Google puts it, the Nexus One is the first “superphone”. That is to say it’s the next evolution in what (Android) handsets are capable of.

Who makes the Nexus One?
The handset is made by HTC with input from Google.

What is so special about the phone?
For starters, the Nexus One features a blazing fast 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.  Throw in a 3.7-inch (480×800 AMOLED screen), a 5 megapixel camera with an LED flash, wireless support for 802.11 a/b/g/n, a trackball with multicolor LED, and you see where we’re going.  There’s also a compass, GPS, accelerometer, stereo Bluetooth, a 3.5mm headphone jack, light and proximity sensors, and two microphones for “active noise suppression”.  All of this is powered by a 1400mAH battery.  Oh yeah, it’s crazy thin.  Like, less than a pencil, thin.

What else?
The Nexus One comes loaded with Android 2.1, which features the same great software found in the Motorola DROID, plus more.  This latest version also offers great voice integration.  Every text field found within Android 2.1 is voice enabled, meaning you’ll not have to physically type out emails, texts messages and tweets.  There are also ‘live wallpapers’ with interactivity, a new weather/news widget, Google Earth, and an updated gallery.

Where can I buy a Nexus One?
You can immediately order an unlocked GSM Nexus One at $529.00 at google.com/phone.

Will it work with my AT&T service?
Technically, yes.  Don’t expect 3G speeds though as the Nexus One only offers support  for T-Mobile’s 3G bands in the United States – UMTS Band 1/4/8 (2100/AWS/900) and GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz).

What if I don’t want to spend that kind of money?
A subsidize Nexus One can be yours for $179.00 as long as you commit to a 2-year contract with T-Mobile.  The catch here is that you must use it on individual, post paid, rate plans.  Family plans, and FlexPay customers are not eligible at this time.

What rate plan will I have if I get a Nexus One?
As of today, there is only one plan to choose from – 500 voice minutes, nights and weekends, messaging (SMS and MMS) and data.

I don’t want to sign up with T-Mobile.  Are there other options?
A CDMA version of the Nexus One will be available in the spring of 2010 for Verizon customers.

Will there be an unlocked CDMA Nexus One?
Don’t count on it.  The answer that was repeated a couple of times during today’s conference was that there will only be a Verizon-based CDMA Nexus One.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6616 posts

Huawei next to manufacture T-Mobile myTouch smartphones

After what started out as an exclusive relationship between HTC and T-Mobile USA, the myTouch series has evolved to include LG.  Looking ahead a bit it appears that Huawei is

T-Mobile dishes on new Alcatel, Samsung devices

T-Mobile today confirmed the immediate and upcoming availability of three smartphones and one mobile hotspot. Starting from today, October 16, customers can pick up an Alcatel One Touch Evolve or

Amazon offering eight Halloween apps for free today only

Amazon has a promotion today for Android users which is considerably more treat than trick. Instead of offering up one free app of the day, the online behemoth is giving

1. Docco
    January 05, 22:05 Reply

Will it have multi touch as good as iPhone's?

• schwiz
      January 06, 03:18 Reply

the sdk has multitouch apis so developers can make multitouch apps, but the built in browser doesn't have it.

2. Scott
    January 05, 23:16 Reply

None of Google's apps use the multi-touch APIs but from what I have read it is every bit as good.

or did you mean to ask did Google develop an interface as multi-touch heavy as Apple did on the iPhone? The answer to that is no, no they didn't, if you need it you can download a browser that uses multi-touch gestures.

3. Daniel
    January 05, 23:24 Reply

I'm a little outraged at the pricing for this and hope it shakes out soon. I have been a T-Mo customer for 6 years and love thier service and tech support, but charging an existing out of contract customer 379 bucks for this is beyond rediculous. I may finally have to break down and get a comperable plan and 3g iPhone for 199!

• @RaymondK
      January 06, 16:37 Reply

There is no comparable plan. AT&T rapes you on the plans they require for the iPhone. Can you just drop T-Mo and come back as a new customer? How wuld they differentiate?

• lenora
        January 06, 20:10 Reply

nope. the system will find you as previous regardless.

4. Mikenexus
    January 05, 23:33 Reply

Only the 500 minute rate plan available? Why is the unlimited voice plan not an option? If T-mobile can't get this right soon I'm switching to the iphone.

• Lenora
      January 06, 20:09 Reply

Tmobile assured me once you purchace, since you cant purchase directly w tmobile, you can switch to an unlimited plan by calling them I believe its 85 a month.

5. Quy
    January 06, 05:06 Reply

I bought the phone unsubsidized since I'm with AT&T. I have nine months left on my contract so I didn't mind. Given the outrageous price of the subsidized plan, it'll be cheaper for me to buy unsubsidized since I'll be paying for the edge dataplan. It is edge, but I guess I don't mind for now :(. I also have some corporate discounts.

6. DMAGIC448
    January 06, 12:35 Reply

What happened to those bluetooth docks we saw go thru the FCC a week or so ago? Are those avaiiable for purchase?

7. mee
    January 06, 13:14 Reply

boy the articles on this website are getting lamer and lamer. This is just a regurgitation of previous articles. Plus, the tmoble $179 price is for NEW customers. Not a price for existing renewing customers.

8. Teemu S
    January 06, 14:25 Reply

When will it come to rest of europe??

9. NQ Logic
    January 06, 14:30 Reply

Google is moving down in the stack to challenge B2C opponents with an open architecture and new sets of standards. In creating a post-revenue business model, Google can only manage success if consumers accept a co-branding and outsourced manufactured device … NQ Logic recommends reading about the rest of the new Google's mobile strategy at http://www.nqlogic.com

10. curious
    January 06, 15:35 Reply

Does anyone know if it will work with the SIM from my ADP1 ? Do I need to get a fresh data/voice
    plan ? For now I'd like to use it with only WiFi — don't even need phone calls …
    Thanks.

11. needNewPhone
    January 07, 03:45 Reply

Does it have push technology similar to blackberry's push? I am not happy with the iphone's push that does not notify me of emails the instant I receive them.
    Also, does anyone know if landscape mode is available for the keyboard?

12. Justin
    January 07, 03:52 Reply

I'm assuming that the Verizon version due Spring 2010 will boast 3G (speeds) since both GSM and CDMA are 3G capable. Is this assumption correct (i.e.: does anybody know that speed stats on the Verizon model)?

13. prince
    January 08, 20:00 Reply

does GPS work without dataplan? since they are selling unlocked ones for $529… and if we buy for $529 are we ready to use ao we need to activate it…

14. guest
    January 24, 22:06 Reply

no gps will not work without data plan