Navigon’s MobileNavigator to Hit Android (and Windows) Handsets

Navigon has announced the coming arrival of their MobileNavigator for both Android and Windows based phones. The program originally launched on the iPhone where it is one of the more popular navigation apps. MobileNavigator sports a number of interesting features, including the display of actual road signs on your phone and built in maps for use when there is no cellular coverage.

The Windows Mobile version will launch next week for the discounted price of $69.00, which will jump to the full price of $89.00 on February 14. The Android app will launch at some point in spring for a price that has not been set at this time. Seeing as new Android phones have the built in (and very effective in my opinion) Google Navigator, it will be interesting to see how much lower they drop the price, or if they try to force it into the market at $89.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4625 posts

AT&T adding LTE to 17 new regions, expanding 9 others

AT&T’s stated last year that they set a goal of having 300 million LTE points of presence by the end of 2013, and by the looks of it, they may

Coding Green Robots: Internet Television Show by Android Developers, For Android Developers

Alright so you’ve finally heard enough about this Android thing and decided to look into developing your killer app. Or maybe you’ve done some tinkering before but just don’t know how to take things up a notch. What do you do? We’ll tell you. Check out Coding Green Robots, the new internet television show aimed at all levels of Android development.

Google Play Music app adds genre radio stations

The official Google Play Music application for Android has received a small, but noteworthy update this week. As the headline tells you, the 5.2.1204L build includes All Access Genre Radio. Indeed,

1. eClpise
    January 08, 17:30 Reply

They're kidding, right?

Unless its about $5, they are done before they start.

2. Brian Wechtenhiser
    January 08, 12:58 Reply

IMHO Google Maps Navigation has killed any chance of success for apps like this. I own a Navigon GPS unit, and even though it works well, I’d rather just use Google Navigation on my Droid than have to pay $69-$89 for this app. It doesn’t add enough, if any, value beyond Google Navigation.

3. Chuck Falzone
    January 08, 18:12 Reply

It has offline maps over Google Navigator, and that is definitely worth something. But something quite a bit less than $89.

4. Ratnok
    January 08, 15:51 Reply

I agree. Google Navigation is just too good to bother with paying for one. Does it have Streetview or an equivalent? I doubt it. Is it voice controlled? I doubt it. I’m open to anything, but am not willing to pay more for less, and free is… well… free!

5. DGSaw
    January 09, 01:04 Reply

Free is a very persuasive price point, though from what i can gather the quality of Google's proprietary map data is pretty awful.

Should they improve this then it is tricky to see a USP for the paid for apps like Navigon and TomTom.

Google Nav is only available in the US currently as well, so all other markets are fair game…for now.

6. Vladimir Kelman
    January 10, 04:25 Reply

With a little hack Google Navigator was used in many places, Europe, Russia… I don't have a link, but it should be easy to find.

7. Vladimir Kelman
    January 10, 04:26 Reply

For paid GPS applications with off-line maps, there is also CoPilot Live. It is cheaper, than Navigon.

8. Cris
    January 10, 20:46 Reply

Yawn. I think I'm going to stick with Google Navigation. Works good.. Great on my G1.

9. Ben Wallace
    January 15, 00:29 Reply

You guys are so 2010. I prefer my fold-out Rand McNally map. Go retro you futuristic gomers.