Updated Grooveshark Android App Blows Away Others Music Apps

When Grooveshark first released an Android App back in early December, many users, including myself were extremely excited.  Unfortunately, the app failed to live up to many expectations as it was not free (requires a VIP membership) and very buggy.  However, this week the Grooveshark application was updated and while it is still not free ($3 VIP monthly membership) it is now amongthe best music applications on the Android platform.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the service, Grooveshark is an online music search engine, streaming service, and recommendation tool.  Think of it as Pandora, but you can actually search for specific songs and create specialized playlists. The updated app, pictured below, removes most of the bugs which gave users problems, as well as gives users the ability to search for songs(searches are processed very fast, even over EDGE), build a playslist within the app, sync playlists with the online version of Grooveshark, favorite songs, and make songs available for offline playback (although this doesn’t work as well or clearly as I would like).

The music quality is not as good as that of Pandora, but it is almost there. If you are a fan of Grooveshark and Android you should check out the update! For me, it’s hands down the best music app on Android at this point and it’s only going to get better.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4639 posts

DoubleTwist Releases AirSync, Pouring Awesome Sauce All Over Your Device

We don’t need no stinkin’ wires! That is what DoubleTwist is saying with the release of their new AirSync add-on for their Android app. Before you read any farther, long story short, you can now sync music, videos and pictures to your Android device without a wire through DoubleTwist. You need to stop reading this article (can’t believe I am saying this) and go search the Android market now for the DoubleTwist AirSync app. The reason being that the add-on is only $.99 for the first 10,000 people to download it. After which, it will go up to $4.99. Go now. The rest of the article is waiting for you after the break.

Sony debuts Xperia Smartwear

Sony is officially in the game of wearable tech with the debut of the Xperia Smartwear which records your activities throughout the day.  Now I said “activities” because this is

“I Fondled a Nexus One”

Greg Sterling, a contributing editor over at Search Engine Land, can count himself among the lucky few who have been able to see the mythical Nexus One handsets in person.

1. Guest
    January 09, 16:38 Reply

Have you even tried Spotify? It really kicks the llamas ass! =)

2. @abhiroopbasuu
    January 09, 16:43 Reply

Spotify does not work in Singapore unfortunately :(!

But, I'm curious how do you know the app will "only get better"?

I'm still on the fence over whether I want to become a VIP member. I have a 8gb card in my android and I can load up about 600-700 songs on it. I have most of the songs I want to listen to, do I really need this?

Also what is the data usage like?

3. andymak
    January 09, 18:36 Reply

best decision i made for my indulging my music tastes… nothing beats this app

i highly recommend to anyone with an android

is the blackberry app as good as the android's?

4. Steve T
    January 09, 19:22 Reply

The only thing I wish is the quality was better, its notably worse than Pandora. If it was just a little bit better.

5. Dennis M
    January 10, 03:19 Reply

Am I missing something here? After listening to it on my Droid, the sound quality is very bad. It doesn't even sound like it is in stereo?

• @skylerslade
      June 19, 02:46 Reply

The app uses low-bitrate, mono files by default. You can change this in the app's settings. This is the default and is set as such because of an OS bug that affects playing high-bitrate files. You can read more about this bug here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id…. Grooveshark normally serves high-bitrate files (usually at or greater than 192kbps I believe) but 2.1, at least on the Droid and Nexus One, does not like playing these high-bitrate files (the Android MediaPlayer object never enters into its "prepared" state and never fires the message to start playback–the bug manifests itself as a song appearing to forever buffer). Hopefully we'll find a fix for this soon. Currently this problem affects maybe around 10% of high-bitrate files, therefore, we've opted to by default serve the lower-quality ones. But again this option can be changed in the application's settings.

6. Chris
    January 12, 19:20 Reply

I don't know what half the people on here are raving about. I have the Motorola Droid and the application is really nice… when it works. I get a 'Force Close…' message anytime I try to do anything. Is this still in Beta… I certainly hope so!

7. kadir
    April 29, 10:28 Reply

Great news.. It is finally free with the latest update. Thank you grooveshark

8. @JJohnerson
    May 14, 19:38 Reply

Does not work on Android Nexus One. Hmmmm. Not good for a service that claims to be built for Android. I'll stick with Pandora or gasp even Rhapsody!

• @skylerslade
      June 19, 02:39 Reply

What of it does not work on the Nexus One? The app was developed on both a Droid and a Nexus One. Can you be more specific about the errors you've encountered?