January 31, 2015

Early Look: Probability-Based Keyboard "qwerted"

Check out this new take on the traditional Android soft keyboard. Rather than just changing the color or general shape of the buttons, qwerted changes the actual size of them based on the probability that they’ll be hit next.  For instance, if you type a ‘c’, the letter ‘h’ will be larger than say, a ‘z’.  All Android users will be happy to know that it was designed for 1.5 or higher.

qwerted was created and developed by Moritz Haarmann who expects to have the app available later this month.  No word on pricing just yet.

qwerted for android – basic example from Moritz Haarmann on Vimeo.

Features found in qwerted:

• Punch-through recommendations – Depending on the individual probability, an accented or uppercase key is shown by default instead of the normal, downcase, key.
  • Self-learning -  remembers the words you type, and knows them the next time you want to type them. So it’s always up-to-date with your vocabulary.
  • Customizable  – Set up the size of the keys depending on your preference. Later versions will also allow skins and custom keyboard layouts ( e.g. dvorak ) to be used.

• Marc Seeger

Nope, it supports different languages :)

The words are extracted from aspell afair, so you can basically do it for any language that an aspell dictionary exists for :)

1. moritz

Basically, all languages can be supported. At the moment, english is complete, and german is in work. The dictionaries used can also be exchanged on the fly, so it's not restricted to english!

2. Derek

This is a good concept. This is how the iphone keyboard works, although it doesnt make the buttons look larger, they all stay the same size on screen, but the touch area for the predicted letters gets larger. I can fly typing on my iphone's portrait keyboard.

• TareX

That was exactly what I was gonna suggest!!! If the iPhone keyboard does that then WOW. Bravo, Apple…. Quality work all through.

3. @Aissenoid

@moritz: Please add multi-touch support if the device has the API available (e.g it's running android > 2.0, but not only). It would be a killer feature!

• Angel

because you don't have to totally lift your finger to hit the next key. It will still register the next letter even if you still have you other finger/thumb slightly on the last key.

• moritz

I'm at the moment still busy implementing the rest of the core ( i.e. multiple dictionaries ), but after that, multi-touch is definitely on the agenda!

4. mcw

Moritz, do u have an email notification for when the app is available on the market?

I rarely go to the market to check for new apps as I have all that are important to me.

• moritz

i guess i should setup one, but no, i don't have one at the moment. just check back every now and then at qwerted.com .. won't take long, promise!

5. Scott

Very cool – can't wait for it to be available, I trust AndroidGuys will cover it. Will it have the auto completed words suggested above like the current Android Keyboard? Would like to see that!

6. Benjamin Rubenstein

Awesome work, but why make the buttons actually change size if they don't have to? Why not just change the sensitivity radius of each button? Did you want something that really stood out aesthetically?

• Josh

Would be pretty cool to have an option so people can decide whether or not they want the size to actually change. You can't possibly lose from giving people the choice! I think.

• Dan

I totally agree. The size changing might be a bit offputting – trying to type on a constantly changing keyboard. Having the option of just modifying the sensitivity would be great.

Awesome work though. I look forward to trying it.

• gheymann

Personally I love the idea of getting a visual que from the keyboard by having the keys physically change size depending on their probability, "Brilliant". I'll be watching for this products release along with "Thickbuttons" http://www.thickbuttons.com/ to see which implementation is better!

7. webby

Always nice to see new innovations, so best of luck to the developer. For myself thought, I'm really rocking faster and faster on Swype beta for Droid.

8. llama

Not to burst in and sound like a fanboi, but Apple has had this on the Iphone since the 3gs at least, maybe since the 3g–it's hardly innovative. The keyboard and the games have been two areas that I've felt like more effort needs to be made in Android. Hopefully we see more stuff like this come out.

9. Kenji138

I think this can definitely be considered innovative for the android os. Remember, apple did not create the first touchscreen phone, yet many people consider the iphone to be innovator of touchscreen phones.

Good luck on finalizing this app, Moritz! I look forward to using this helpful app.

• moritz

youre able to set the gap between the keys to what you like .. so you can have no gap, which means big keys, and large gaps -> small keys.

10. bikeridercpa

Has there been any thought to including a voice recorder button with the keyboard, similar to what is included in the Talk to Me keyboard? However, this may become moot since Android 2.1 is supposed to provide this in any input field.

POST A COMMENT.