2.0 for G1 Within Two Weeks?

The screenshot to the left is purportedly from an internal T-mobile forum, with a moderator saying that the G1 will get an update by the end of January.

Take it with a grain of salt, but the word on Twitter is that this will be none other than an OTA update to Android 2.0. We shall see!

Source: therealriley

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4639 posts

Fujitsu Rumored to be Hopping on Android Bandwagon

It is being rumored that Fujitsu is now working on an Android-powered phone of their own.  With no hardware details to share at this point, various outlets (translated) claim it

Nvidia working with Rovio on a more 3D Angry Birds?

Rovio, maker of the famous and wildly popular Angry Birds, has got a few new projects up their sleeves, according to Pocket Gamer. A source there is reporting that Rovio

CES Android Goodies #1: GiiNii Movit Mini

Here come the iPod Touch comparisons.  Engadget got their hands on the Movit Mini WiFi tablet from GiiNii, which just happens to run Android.  The device features a 4.3″ screen,

1. jeremy bumgarner
    January 19, 23:39 Reply

Maybe this is a gift for early Android adopters….. just when everyone had given up hope. This would hold me over til the next gen g1 comes out, whatever that may be.

2. newspeak
    January 19, 23:44 Reply

Hopfully its not just tmobile europe

• thescarletnecklace
      January 20, 18:16 Reply

The article says G1 which is the U.S. name for it. Everyone else in the world calls it the Dream. Therefore, it suggests that this will be atleast a U.S. update.

• CJ
        January 20, 13:34 Reply

Wrong – The UK at least calls it the G1 as well.

3. johnkzin
    January 19, 23:50 Reply

Hope this happens for T-Mo-USA too.

4. several
    January 19, 23:53 Reply

Aren't there hardware incompatibilities?

• thescarletnecklace
      January 20, 18:18 Reply

It will more than likely be a hacked up version of 2.0 (to make it fit on the G1) just like they did with 1.6

• several
        January 20, 18:34 Reply

That'd be cool. A friend of mine at google has heard nothing about this. he's not on the android team so that doesn't mean it isn't happening, but he hearts android and pays attention to what's up with that team so he has doubts about this rumor.

5. Josh
    January 20, 00:29 Reply

I'm wondering why there hasn't been an updated rom for the ADP1? The ADP1 got 1.6 a week or two before the OTA updates, and since there's essentially no difference other than root, I don't see why there should be a holdup this time around.

6. Jak Crow
    January 20, 01:11 Reply

Who cares if t-mobile releases a slow, unoptimized 2.0 update for the g1? I am already running 2.0 on a g1 thanks to cyanogen, and it runs quite well.

• Yosh
      January 20, 07:42 Reply

Cyanogen ROM is using 1.6 with some backports from 2.0.

• several
      January 20, 17:52 Reply

cyanogenmod is not 2.0. it is 1.6 with bits of eclair thrown in for extra flavor. from http://www.cyanogenmod.com/about "Based on Android 1.6, many bugfixes and enhancements from AOSP, XDA, and me"

7. Alz
    January 20, 22:29 Reply

I emailed a HTC rep and asked about the possibility of releasing the G1 drivers so the likes of XDA can take over providing 2.0 roms for the G1, this is what the rep said:

"Android 2.1 HTC Dream is unknown at this time. I can not give you the exact date when it will release. But I know that there will be a new upgrade will be available soon "

8. APOLLOSTEES
    January 21, 14:42 Reply

I'm with you Alz. I just want the drivers. Then XDA will have unlimited ability to make what ever they want.

And, I agree that this 2.0 release is boring news to me. It will most likely be something like cyanogens rom. That is a chopped up version of 2.0. For those that don't know a vanilla G1 does not have the space requirements for 2.0 to run.

9. Dominic
    January 21, 21:07 Reply

I doubt it will be real 2.0 as people seem to agree with me on. Evidence of this is the fact that UK users had 1.6 a week, if I recall correctly, before US. For testing purposes and such. So wait a week, ask your good ol' British Buddies, and you'll know 😉