Google Improves Experience for Nexus One Buyers

By Google’s own admission, everything associated with their google.com/phone site is an experiment.  Like most everything the company does, it starts out in beta and constantly evolves.  this past week has seen two changes to the way things are handled for potential and existing Nexus One owners.

The first, and possibly, most welcome enhancement was the opening up of an actual phone line for support.  those of you who already have a Nexus One can call 888-48-NEXUS (63987). daily from 7:00 am EST to 10:00 pm EST to speak with someone.  No more forum only support!

The other change made this week was lowering the equipment recovery fee (ETF) from $350 down to $150.   While T-Mobile imposes their own early termination fee (ETF), it has many scratching their heads as to why Google was charging so much on their side.  Whether related to recent FCC inquiries or by pure coincidence, customers are not looking at such a heavy dent in their pocket should they decide to cancel service.

Did any of you expect either of these changes?  So quickly?  What else would you like to see happen with their “experiment”?

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6570 posts

Deals & Steals

ThanksGiveaway: Win a free, top of the line, phone of your choice [Deal of the Day]

Happy Thanksgiving! Are you ready for a new handset but aren’t prepared to shell out the clams for an upgrade? Well take your face out of the cranberry sauce because

Amazon Outlines App Development for Kindle Fire

At some point over the last week or so, Amazon posted a few common development question as it pertains to the new Kindle Fire.  Will Android developers need to do

Verizon Announces 4G LTE-Ready Samsung Stratosphere

Verizon and Samsung announced their latest collaboration this morning, tapping the 4G LTE-ready Stratosphere with a $150 price tag and October 13th launch.  Arriving as the carrier’s first smartphone to

1. Kevin
    February 11, 00:38 Reply

I have a Nexus One now. I would like to see them offer an AT&T phone.

Also, solve the going to another country problem. If I travel to Japan / Taiwan / South Korea, how am I going to be able to stay connected using my Nexus One without paying hundreds of dollars of roaming fees?

• @AhmedEltawil
      February 11, 13:20 Reply

I usually get a local pay-as-you-go sim card in the country I am visiting for more than 10 days. As for the my email, I use internet cafes or the hotel's internet. It might a bit inconvenient, but it's a lot cheaper than roaming.

2. @nicknowsky
    February 11, 02:18 Reply

im curious if I buy a N1 w/ T-Mobile commitment, is that N1 locked to T-mobile network or is it a unlocked version, cause im thinking of ordering one with contract and then after a day cancel and pay the 150, which is still cheaper than the 530 unlocked, Cause I am a ATT man?? I assume I would have to UNLOCK the N1 after I cancel the contract huh?

• bart
      February 11, 09:35 Reply

It’s not any cheaper. You still have to buy the phone for $180, pay N1’s ETF of $150 , then pay T-Mob ETF of $200. It all comes out the same $530.

3. enveed05
    February 10, 22:00 Reply

I'd like to see them remove the tie-in to that ridiculous $80 / 500 minute individual plan and offer the phone at the discounted rate to all existing T-Mobile customers. I'm almost certain that this lack of a discount for most potential customers has played a significant part in the poor initial sales figures for the N1.

4. Aidan
    February 11, 06:56 Reply

release it in Australia

5. Jose
    February 11, 04:15 Reply

I bought my n1, on Friday and so far I am blown away by the phone, for starters it's a great phone and the best part was receiving the multi touch update as soon as I turned the phone on

6. Jaylan
    February 25, 12:37 Reply

Their support for existing TMo customers is the real bane on their sales. I want one in a bad way, but since I'm on a T-Mobile family plan, I can't have one ($530 for a phone is a no-go). If I could just re-up my current contract like any other phone, I'd be willing to pay up to $250. As it is, I plan on getting the Motoroi (assuming the rumors of it coming to T-Mobile are true).