Latest AdMob Shows Android Users are Mostly Dudes

The January AdMob report (PDF) is out today and it shines a little bit of light on who the typical Android users are.  We already know that Android growth is steady, but just are the people using these phones?  As it turns out, we’re mostly Android Guys.  See what we did there?

A few bits we gleaned from the report:

• 73% of Android users are male
  • 24% of Android users are under age 25
  • Android users spend about 80 minutes a day using apps
  • Only 6% of Android users plan to pick up an iPad (Duh)
  • 84% of Android users would recommend their device to others
  • Android users download roughly 9 apps every month, nearly identical to iPhone users
  • Only 21% of Android users purchase at least 1 paid app per month

Up until now, there haven’t been any “girlie” phones for Android so it doesn’t surprise us that nearly 3 out of 4 users are males.  The 84% satisfaction and recommendation rate should grow over time as users have more options to choose from when buying handsets.

Anything in here surprise you?

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6606 posts

MADFINGER Games drops prices to $1 this weekend

Black Friday savings on some of our favorite Android games!

Google Play intros “Designed for Families” program that will make finding family friendly apps easier.

The Play store has thousands of apps that range from all sorts of categories; games, photography, educational, shooters, the list goes on and on. While it is great to have

New Galaxy S 2 Commercial

The media onslaught from Samsung continues on it’s upcoming Galaxy 2 smart phone. This time, a commercial on YouTube has a young man in trouble with his girlfriend showing off how slim the phone is by allowing him to slide it under her front door to say sorry. Does anyone else hear “Every Breath You Take” in the background? Maybe that it is just me. Check out the video after the break.

1. Daniel
    February 25, 16:13 Reply

I'm identify as male myself, but maybe the gender demographics have less to do with the lack of "girlie" phones, and more to do with the fact that leaders in the community think that women need to be offered "girlie" phones. Just sayin.

2. DMAN
    February 25, 12:20 Reply

Androids are not fashion accessories. Apples are. That’s the difference.

Androids are actually used for work. Apples are just “blings,” useless POS.

• Daniel
      February 25, 17:26 Reply

So women don't do work, and instead choose to buy fashion accessories? That seems silly, and also ignores that iPhone demographics also skew male.

3. Stacy
    February 25, 18:01 Reply

Female here, and I love my G1. I don't care what my phone looks like; I want it to have a keyboard, and I want it to work.

4. victor
    February 25, 18:09 Reply

I think the mytouch is "girliest" android phone out there

5. Brandon
    February 25, 13:34 Reply

My wife and I both use Nexus Ones. She didn’t have an issue with it not being “girlie” enough, lol. She did on the other hand get a pink jelly skin for it though, hehe.

6. Ratnok
    February 25, 13:35 Reply

I agree that the marketing for Android phones (especially the Droid) has been directed towards men. Even the designs have been more “rugged” than “polished.” The myTouch and Droid Eris are exceptions, but there really does need to be a phone design targeted at women. Verizon is pushing the Palm Pre Plus as a phone for busy mothers. Each carrier should have an Android for women – color, design, and form factor. The guts would be the same, but Android really does need some fashionable phones and some complementary feminine marketing for those phones. Even the Nexus One, which is a pretty stylish phone, doesn’t scream “chick phone,” and the Legend and Desire are even worse. Maybe the Backflip will help, but I doubt it.

• G__
      February 26, 02:42 Reply

"marketing for Android phones (especially the Droid) has been directed towards men."
      Yup seams to be true…

7. MaryLeeS
    February 25, 18:35 Reply

My office has Team iPhone and Team Android….All the members of Team Android are girls. The guys all have iPhones. Just sayin'.

• Brandon
      February 25, 14:58 Reply

I wish my office was that cool. I work with boring boring people. Wierd too.
      I think there is one dude with an Iphone in my area and me with the N1. Besides that its a sea of old clam shell phones and old razors.

8. Mary Beth Lowell
    February 25, 18:36 Reply

Strange that BlackBerry OS wasn't included in this study – that's my "girlie" phone of choice.

9. Fuzzone
    February 25, 19:56 Reply

There are three people who have android phones in my office. Two of them are vimin. But the dude is the one who has the Nexus One :)

10. @phantomsmask
    February 25, 20:40 Reply

The way I see it. I am one of the only females I know that has an android phone. I was thinking about this, the other day. The marketing is mostly geared toward men. Where as I tend to read tech sites, and other android sites. That is what I appreciate with Android, I don't care what the phone looks like. The girlish phone I probably ever had was, either the BB Pearl. or even the sidekick2. Give me the cool tech stuff in a phone and let me play. I am a strange female I've been told this but I love android.

• Fuzzone
      February 25, 21:16 Reply

You single? I have a Nexus One 😉

11. several
    February 26, 22:38 Reply

So, can anyone explain to me just how AdMob determines a user's sex? These results seem to be to be rather questionable to say the least. I don't click on ads on my phone or my computer. And even If I did, how would they know my sex based on what I clicked on? Or my age? Or whether or not i'd recommend my phone to others? or how many apps I buy if i don't buy them through clicking ads? These are not survey results. The top of the report says "AdMob stores and analyzes the data from every ad request, impression, and click." This data seems ludicrous to me. Am I missing something or is this just nonsense they put out as a way of tricking people into thinking they'll get this same data about users if they buy ads on the admob network?

12. farhad
    July 06, 09:04 Reply

i believe its true.. ive never seen any girl using droid.. haha,,

13. khay
    July 17, 18:26 Reply

nice info. thanks for your sharing.