Download This: PortaPayments

PortaPayments is a brilliant little idea: it’s an Android app that creates QR codes for PayPal payments. Scanning one of these QR codes takes you to PayPal with the recipient and amount all filled out. Manually approve the payment and you’re done.

This enables mobile payments (create the code on your phone and the customer scans it with their phone) as well as allowing you to use the QR code images as, say, a tip jar on a website, or printed on an invoice.  Lots of possibilities: I can imagine a charity printing up posters or handbills that include PortaPayment codes so people can easily make a donation.

One hitch I found in testing the app is that the PortaPayments app must be used to scan the codes;other barcode scanners will not work correctly. If the developer can address this issue, businesses would be more apt to use it.

The developer has entered the app in the PayPal Developers Challenge. If you like the idea, give him a vote between now and the end of Friday, March 5.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOYiADJWG9I[/youtube]

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4625 posts

Google Now adds discounted flight notifications

Did you know that I can predict the future? Just last week I posted an article about the Future of Google Now, and one of the things I asked for

FlightView App Helps You Avoid Delays, Unfortunately Not Pat Downs

We wish there was an app to avoid the current pat-down procedures happening at airports, but until that gets developed, we have perhaps the next best thing; an app that helps you track and avoid delays. FlightView Elite, released for Android today, helps travelers by providing live flight boards, weather reports and the ability to call the airlines right from the app.

Lookout offers real-time detection of mobile threats with new Labs app

Ever wonder how many people are actually using Lookout Mobile Security to protect their Android devices?  Wouldn’t it be neat to see users being protected in real-time as they install

1. brad
    March 04, 18:05 Reply

Woo hoo! We could have "ladies of the evening" tattoo we codes on themselves for easy payment!

2. Chad Smith
    March 04, 18:43 Reply

All it takes to send money using Paypal is a carefully crafted URL http://j.mp/PaypalQR

My guess is the app is required just to automatically open those URLs. I'm about to release a similar app that is more shopping cart like.

3. funkyandroid
    March 04, 19:13 Reply

We're the developers of the app and we're happy to take questions / answer queries.

– On the "scan by any scanner" issue; We're looking into this, but at the moment only PayPals servers are used, so using an intermediary will introduce complexity and potentially increase QR code density to beyond what can be shown well on a QVGA Screen (yup, we test on a Tattoo). But we are looking into it.

– On the "Crafted URL" issue; We use the Adaptive API which allows us to include multiple recipients and other features which can't be done with the crafted URL. We're also talking to PayPal about using their upcoming Android PayPal library which will give a better user experience that can't be duplicated with one URL.

Any other suggestions / comments / etc. welcome (and thanks for the mention Android Guys).

• houstonex
      November 08, 12:37 Reply

I like the concept but not quite clear on how I can use it. I have the Droid X. So if I have the application, then do I use my phone or does the client have to have a smartphone to use it, and I guess they also have to have a PayPal account? I’m writing a post on my blog about it for other potential users and would love more information. Thanks.

4. doel
    July 17, 17:17 Reply

thaks for your sharing. great post!! like this :p

5. pdf download
    July 28, 01:58 Reply

Nice article, and i agree PortaPayments is a brilliant little idea

6. acid alkaline diet review
    August 28, 08:05 Reply

It is an excellent invention that enables mobile payments and it is made possible by the feature of PortaPayments by an Android app that creates QR codes for PayPal payments. Thanks for sharing the information.

7. QRazystuff
    September 15, 09:06 Reply

This is quite simply a fantastic idea with numerous applications. We’d been interested to know whether it now allows standard bar code reader apps to work with the service? If so, this really has got a lot of potential!

Street Chuggers wearing cool QR Code T-Shirts (http://QRazystuff.com) with “scan me to make a donation” on the back, or handing out flyers with a list of donation value codes…

8. Melanie Monteverde
    October 06, 01:04 Reply

Many users had already downloaded this portapayments and they are able to satisfy themselves because of its function.

9. Hair Weave
    October 31, 14:27 Reply

PortaPayments is a brilliant little idea: it’s an Android app that creates QR codes for PayPal payments. Great job! Saves a lot of time and energy. Thanks.

10. sheldon lebowitz
    January 06, 11:03 Reply

I’m new to QR codes. I don’t get the idea behind QR codes for PayPal payments – can you explain it in English. Also, how do you guarantee security?

11. Bryan Klein
    February 17, 16:56 Reply

This sounds very promising! Your article raises a good point about being usable across platforms. People have to be able to use it if they have an iPhone or a Blackberry or whatever.

In some instances, this would be far more convenient than paying with cash or debit…

Bryan
    registry cleaners reviewed

12. Robert
    April 20, 18:20 Reply

I have found that the codes created for my business and clients from Scan Nation work across all platforms. I have not had (knock on wood) a single issue. They also create complete marketing campaigns for marketeers that need a little help in justifying the idea to the boss.

13. johnny music
    November 29, 12:02 Reply

this is so awesome it makes it SO much easier to have a online business