Leaked 2.1 Droid Update Reveals Live Wallpapers

Late last week, the Android 2.1 update for the Motorola Droid was leaked to the XDA Developers forum. Interestingly, within the build was something I found extremely cool: live wallpaper!  Does this mean live wallpaper will be included on the official build? Maybe, but I still wouldn’t put money on it just yet. Check out the video below to see live wallpapers in action.  If you want the ROM, you can get it here.  As always, flash with caution so you don’t brick your device! What do all of you think? Do you want live wallpapers? Tell us your hopes, dreams, and wishes below.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5DeI5JGeJk&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Source: Droid-Life

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

Toshiba debuts 7-inch LT170 tablet

For Toshiba’s next tablet, the company is going back to the same well that brought us the original Thrive.  The hardware maker recently introduced its new 7-inch LT170, with a

Name that Android: Letter P

We are back with another segment of “Name that Android!” where we ask you to name a future version of our favorite mobile platform.  The idea is simple – we

AT&T announces plans to offer Sony Xperia TL

AT&T today announced that they will soon be offering the Sony Xperia TL later this year, timed with the release of the latest James Bond, Skyfall.  As a U.S. variant of

1. @ZilverZurfarn
    March 08, 19:37 Reply

To me, live wallpaper is about as big a feature as Clippy. A complete waste of CPU cycles.

2. dima1109
    March 08, 19:42 Reply

Some people might want it just so Droid isn't worse than nexus. To me, they are useless. How much time do you really spend on the homescreen?

3. chad_b
    March 08, 20:00 Reply

In total agreement with kpurdu1. I want the extra screens rather than the live wallpaper.

4. Mary
    March 08, 20:37 Reply

I would just like 2.1 whether it has live wall papers does not matter, but the other features do matter and not having any recent information except for that vague "coming soon" is not at this point good enough.

5. Streets Of Boston
    March 08, 22:13 Reply

At the ADL (android developer lab) in Cambridge, Google told us that live wallpapers will be included in the Android 2.1 for the Droid.

• Mark
      March 11, 23:11 Reply

The API for livewallpaper is also listed on the official SDK release for 2.1

6. kpurdu1
    March 08, 19:51 Reply

"neat" but not necessary. If I had to choose give me stock 5 screens (or more), too many widgets taking up too much space.

7. @stefanhallen
    March 09, 08:04 Reply

Why don't people wanting more screens just install Home++? It's free, based on the stock home, and has excellent performance (better than stock for me)

8. crazyd
    March 09, 09:06 Reply

Screw the live wallpapers, just give us the update already!!! We're already into March and no light of 2.1 yet. I'll agree more home screens is priority.

9. Fred Mertz
    March 09, 15:20 Reply

I think you may be missing the point of live wallpapers….think of them as giant real time widgets capable of displaying real time data on the whole screen….! i think the possibilities are endless……..

10. Chris
    March 09, 18:05 Reply

I'd forego the flashy wallpaper if they'd just go ahead and get the update out to us.

11. chance
    March 09, 18:38 Reply

I would like my blue tooth voice commands to work….love the thought of live screen but voice thru my head set would be better

12. rachel
    March 09, 19:34 Reply

Download open home it gives you up to seven screens

13. towelie
    March 09, 23:51 Reply

I want live wallpapers. Why wouldn't you? There will be cool ones coming out eventually.. but also I want 5 home screens.

14. rdad5
    March 10, 03:59 Reply

Panda Home gives you 11 home screens. It's free and uses everybody else's themes. Works great on my droid. Live wallpapers would be sweet though even if they're kinda pointless.

15. Dannyboy
    March 10, 06:19 Reply

I just want the slow choppy browser to be clean and smooth like it was on the droid before the 2.0.1 update. I would be highly impressed if they put flash in the new droid version. But I doubt thats happening. As far as 5 home screens, the droid already laggs with a few widgets and apps. On 3 screens! Even useing the best app enders on the market. Live wallpapers sounds and looks cool but not a must if they are going to bog down the droids O.S. I would be happy if they just fixed the bugs and made the O.S. faster.
    But hey everyone on Verizon! Don't fret. I know for a fact before the end of 2010 Verizons network will be going broadband. Faster than high speed internet, on your Droid Blackberry ect. This is confirmed from a Verizon cell site tec. Who has informed me that they are already installing ethernet cable for the transition to 4g. Verizon has already been testing 4g cell towers for a couple years now. Anyone with a phone like droid or nexus at the end of this year is going to see some amazing advances in mobile technology.

• @stefanhallen
      March 10, 09:02 Reply

Try xScope, excellent browser, much faster than the 2.0.1 browser (and 2.0 for that matter).
      So, eh, you need to try using home++ and xScope :)

16. uggelsey
    March 17, 03:06 Reply

YS0317H2Do one thing at a time, and do well.Never forget to say "thanks"cheap ed hardy.Keep on going. never give up.Whatever is worth doing ed hardy is worth doing well.Believe in yourself.I can because i think i can.Action speak louder than ed hardy sales words.Never say die.Never put off what you can do today until tomorrow.The best preparation for moncler jacketstomorrow is doing your best today.Be honest rather clever.Being on sea, sail; being on land, settle.Be just to all moncler online, but trust not all. Believe not all that you see nor half what you hear ugg boots .Be slow to promise and quick to perform.Be swift to hear, slow to speak.Better http://www.edhardy-buy.com/ an empty purse than an empty head. Better an open enemy than a false friend.Better good neighbours near than relations far away.Between the cup and the lip a morsel may slip.

17. discount nba jerseys
    March 17, 03:08 Reply

YS0317H4If thou wouldest live long,live well;for folly and wickedness shorten cheap nhl jerseys life. Each year one vicious habit rooted out,in time minght make the worst man good nhl montreal canadiens throughout.None but the well-bred man knows how to confess a fault,or acknowledge himself in an error.If you do what you should not,you must hear what nfl jerseys cheap you would not.Let thy vices die before thee.Act uprightly,and despise calumny.Dirt may stick to a mud nba jerseys wall,but not polish'd marble.An honest man will receive neither money nor praise,that is not his due.The honest http://www.nfljerseymlb.com/ man takes pains,and then enjoys pleasure,the knave takes pleasure,and then suffers pains.He that doth what he should not,shall feel what he would not.The goodwill of the governed will be starv'd,if not fed by the basketball jerseys good deeds of the governors.The brave and the wise can both pity and excuse,when cowards and fools shew no mercy.Calamity and mlb prisperity are the touchstones of integrity.Who judges best of a man,his enemies or himself?

18. duhhh23
    May 17, 02:36 Reply

how do you get the FUCKING LIVE WALLPAPERS!!!!!!!

19. doel
    July 14, 18:24 Reply

thank you for sharing. nice post. i like it :p