Sprint’s Android 2.1 Updates Due in “Coming Weeks”

Samsung Moment and HTC Hero owners will be excited to learn that Sprint plans to roll Android 2.1 out to their customers in the “coming weeks”.  As the carrier gears up for the Nexus One and,  presumably,  the HTC Supersonic, subscribers will soon have their pick of cutting edge phones and hardware form factors.  You can barely make it out, but the image above says that more information will be coming in April. Here’s hoping Sprint handles the 2.1 rollout better more efficiently than Motorola and Verizon have with the Droid.

Source: Android Central

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6602 posts

HTC RECamera images leak ahead of October 8 event

HTC’s GoPro competitor has leaked ahead of their upcoming October 8th event, in which we’re also likely to see HTC’s smartwatch (which has been killed and resurrected numerous times already).

Download This: Mobile Security by Trend Micro

As we mentioned a few days ago, Trend Micro has released an Android app called Mobile Security that gives users a wide range of ways to prevent compromise of information. Here are some screen shots of what’s available from Mobile Security for protecting your precious Android devices.

Google showcasing new Google TV sets at CES

With CES so close, Google has announced they are looking to add a star-studded line up of TV partners that’ll feature Google-powered technology. Here’s a taste: LG – “We’re

1. joecrack305
    March 19, 16:19 Reply

wow thats crazy i posted that on xda and it starts making its round on the internet lol

2. James Johnson
    March 19, 22:53 Reply

So what happened to Verzons 2.1 that Android 2.1 stopped as it started

3. cooterpunch
    March 20, 04:39 Reply

I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!!!

4. Danny
    March 20, 18:25 Reply

with the morons at my local sprint stores i sure as hell hope it's either pc based or ota. they didn't even know my san mo has an update a while back……..if it wasn't on sprints site i'd still have the old firmware.

5. Simon Belmont
    March 20, 19:18 Reply

Come on, Sprint! I've been pretty patient and even in your corner about it taking longer to integrate the new Sense UI into Android 2.1, but I was really hoping the end of March rollout date was true.

I really hope that if we're getting "info" in April, that the "info" will be a release date in early April for the 2.1 update. Please, no one is making apps for anything less than Android 1.6 anymore.

6. 7 Years W/Sprint
    March 21, 01:55 Reply

All I want to know is this. Is it going 2b OTA. I don't currently have a laptop and refuse to buy a $2000 computer to update a $200 phone, for the same reason I would refuse to buy a $200,000 "robot mechanic" to work on a $20,000 car. Sprint, Samsung and others who think OTA is somehow "optional" for them to provide (and who take FOREVER to provide a single update) are so delusional that they're probably on crack. I WILL NOT update via computer and I will NOT bring in my Moment to a Sprint store. I WILL take by business elsewhere if they don't get their act together and provide OTA updates, and provide them QUICKLY from now on! I've been steaming about this for months.

7. 7 Years W/Sprint
    March 21, 02:36 Reply

Another thing, I noticed there are updates in 2.1 to some "crapware" that I don't even want at all (and intensely resent being forced by Sprint to pay for) such as NFL and Nascar (and possibly Sprint Navigation). WTF is up with that? It's rotten enough that they FORCE me to pay for it by building it into the OS and monthly charge, whether I want it or not, I can't even UNINSTALL them to save memory space. I called Sprint advanced tech and they said these crapware apps were hardwired into the OS. They said I could get root and dig them out, but then they wouldn't support anything. So I can't get rid of them and besides now the 2.1 update will add more bytes into them which will take up EVEN MORE space. I wonder how much of my money they wasted developing these app updates that I hate and despise and am forced by Sprint to allow on my phone??

Don't get me wrong, Sprint does a lot of things "more right" (if not perfectly) than Verizon and AT&T. And I've had Verizon b4–MISERABLE coverage and massive dropped calls compared to Sprint. BUUUUT when Sprint screws up they rarely admit it. As for these crapware apps of theirs, I wonder if anyone has told them about the Android market? I've never checked but I'd bet money that there are apps for NFL and Nascar and Navigation (etc) on the Market, and THAT'S where such stuff should be–NOT baked into the OS! I don't even want text messaging included, if I want to text I can download an app for that.

ALL I want from you, Sprint, (ALL–MIND YOU) is voice and unlimited data! That's it!! And here's another newsflash for you Sprint (and other carriers) as soon as your 3g and 4g get upgraded everywhere and either Skype or some other service comes out with an app with unlimited minutes to replace your voice service, I am "so gone". I will only need or want "data only" then. You can fight it all you want, but your voice business will be totally commoditized within 10 years of today and I can't wait. Get it thru your thick proprietary heads, we ONLY need you for data. That's it!! Data ONLY! Everything else is an application (EVERYTHING!!!) including voice! You can FIGHT your customers by bundling crapware together and delaying OS OTA updates and treating everything like its STILL your little "walled garden", but you will only succeed in slightly slowing down the inevitable–and pissing us all off in the meantime! OOOOOR you can embrace the painful future and earn our good will, and future data business by not holding up the inevitable another microsecond longer than it has to take.

Now, can I get an "AMEN" on all that from the congregation!! Thank you.

• Tom
      April 13, 17:08 Reply

If you don't want texting, call Sprint and tell them to disable it for your phone number. After getting false charges for being sent advertexts, we did that.

Also, I'm not sure how long it's been since you bought a computer, but you might want to do a bit of research before complaining about needing a $2000 computer to do anything. I find it hard to believe that anyone writing comment posts as long as yours doesn't already HAVE access to a computer with which they could update their phone.

8. Jason
    March 20, 23:16 Reply

I am trading mine in for the htc supersonic. You took to long Samsung/Sprint

9. churro
    March 21, 08:41 Reply

@7 years with sprint. Nobody is forcing you to do anything if you don't like the service than leave, I agree with some of the things you say but come on, go act like a 2 year old somewhere else. Sprint is great, Google is awesome.

10. David
    March 22, 20:47 Reply

7 Years:

I love Sprint Navigation, and I think it's better than anything I can get for free on Android Market. I don't know what plan you are on, but I thought Sprint required you to get the Everything Data plan with this phone. I know I did for $69.99/mo, and I think that's a bargain. There is no separate monthly fee for Sprint Navigation. So about the only thing I can agree with is that yes, it does take up space, and if you don't want it, that's a bummer–but it doesn't bother me, since I love it.

11. the g house
    March 29, 02:00 Reply

7 years, you're an idiot bud. all the apps you mentioned have no monthly subscription fees, they're just sprint exclusive services. whether you choose to use or even like them is your prerogative. they're not in the market because they're sprint exclusive and the market is android globally accessible.

secondly, I don't know who you think you are but no cell phone company would ever develop a phone without the native texting software, just to cater solely to you. its a major service used by the clear majority of all wireless users and that's a point you can't refute.

and as far as your voice over data connection ideas go, while that might be coming up in the future, it will be a huge step backwards in all directions. you'll need 3g-4g coverage just to talk as opposed to your standard cell reception. and then, all the wireless providers still own the cell towers, so you'll be paying them regardless. and if they stop selling voice plans and only unlimited data plans, they'll have to raise the prices on those plans to cover the losses and increased data usage per user. and you don't think skype is going to offer free unlimited minutes in this capitalistic society, do you? your sprint bill will be about the same, plus you'll be cutting a check to skype, and your reception to make and receive calls is going to be a fraction of what it ever was…

you'll be getting no amens from anybody with a brain here.

12. gas grills on sale
    April 26, 17:56 Reply

It's really a good news for sprints users,Android is actually spreading among users so fast.Thanks for this information.

13. khay
    July 14, 16:07 Reply

nice post. i like it :p

14. Grain Flaker
    August 29, 07:52 Reply

As a result of Sprint’s Android 2.1 Updates Due in coming week, there would be a good competition in the market among the Samsung Moment, HTC Hero, Motorola and Verizon. Let us hope it benefit the users of their devices. Thanks for the information.

15. legend plates
    September 21, 11:32 Reply

It is interesting to wait for the new updated Sprint device handles the 2.1 rollout better more efficiently than Motorola and Verizon have with the Droid. Thanks for the information.

16. I was never 100% comfortable with Raimi’s take on things. He did a lot
    of things that I wouldn’t have done and there was some very poor writing
    and decision making.