Gesture Search: An Open Letter To Google

By now many of you have discovered that Gesture Search is available to all Android 1.6+ devices from the Market. Now question is… is it useful? Most people I have spoken to have given me something along the lines of, “Sort of, but it’s not as accessible as I’d like”. So while this is a Google Labs product, meaning it’s in the famous “BETA” stage, I have something for Google to take into consideration.

The issue here is that the gesture search is just not quick enough to access. While many have told me to put it on my homescreen, it’s still not any more useful than using the universal Google Search widget. So now all of the enlightened people are thinking well maybe Google should build it into apps like the contact list, GMail, or even in a homescreen widget. That might be all fine and dandy but let’s go back to what Android is all about. Android is all about collaboration and improvement as can be seen from the Open Handset Alliance’s initiatives. So why not make Google Gesture Search a developer tool? Gestures have long since been available to developers since Android 1.6, but think of all the uses developers could get out of universal search within their applications? Today, Android developers have an abundance of tools at their fingertips to improve all aspects of applications. AdMob to improve profitability, JTwitter to make twitter clients, Google Maps integration, and even GUI design via DroidDraw. All of these tools distributed for free so that developer’s can take them and make applications that are better than those on any other mobile platform.

I imagine being in a twitter client and searching my followers by drawing their name so that I can send them a direct message. How about being  in the Android Guys App and searching articles with gesture search? So why not make gesture search open and let developers run with it. Let us integrate it into applications, widgets, and more. Give the people what they want!

Sincerely,

The Android Community

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4639 posts

Get Your Vibrant for $0.01 from Amazon!

We are going to let the above image do most of the talking, but long story short, if you are looking to open a new account with T-Mobile, this is

Samsung to launch two budget Android tablets in 3rd week of January: Report

Rumour has it that that Samsung is preparing a couple of budget Android tablets to be released this year. Codenamed Project Goya, the tablets are currently known as numbers SM-T116

Archos announces new Android tablets, smartphones, and gadgets for IFA

Archos has announced a number of new smartphones and tablets ahead of the annual IFA trade event, a couple of which run Android. First up is the 5-inch 50b Platinum,

1. A S
    March 22, 00:38 Reply

I am surprised that this request needs petitions and open letters. I'd imagine that Google will eventually bake gesture search into the Android UI so that it is available to all apps by default. What we see now is only the initial iteration of this feature. So, don't worry about it. It'll eventually get there.

2. anakin78z
    March 22, 00:38 Reply

I like Gesture Search quite a lot. I did go down the route of creating a home screen shortcut, and that's working out pretty well so far. I found that I now consistently use it instead of going to the contacts application, and have also used it to quickly find music.
    I do wish the refresh was faster. I often want to start writing a new letter, but it considers my gesture to be part of the current letter. I'm sure this is so that I can dot my i's and cross my t's, but I wish it worked more like writing on a palm was like way back when.

I do think it's a great idea to make it part of the OS. I liked searching through lists by typing on my G1's keyboard, but that's not as much of an option on my N1.

Meanwhile, I suggested to the developer to make it part of the home screen. I think it would be cool to swipe over to the 'gesture area', where we could quickly search for anything. They could maybe test it as a live wallpaper first.

3. Ben Jaffe
    March 27, 02:05 Reply

Add it to the pull-down screen by using "Bar Control" — now *that's* easy access! :-)

4. Incredifan
    May 10, 15:11 Reply

The Control Bar app makes access to gesture search easy enough. I like it. What I really want though is a gesture style general text input as an alternate to the keyboard input. I've played with this gesture search enough that I think it is good enough for a standard type input system. It would be especially nice with a text correction/suggestion feature like we have in the keyboard input.

5. Ted
    May 20, 03:23 Reply

Gesture was chewing up a huge amount of memory (from indexing?). Uninstalling it improved system performance immediately. It's not worth it.

6. p90x
    June 04, 09:30 Reply

I'm a little late finding this article, but I loved it.

7. ChaCha Puddlewinks
    August 05, 04:05 Reply

I happen to love Gesture Search and have experienced NO mem/ory suck or delays whatsoever. If I had my way, this app would be open when I first unlock the phone. It’s so much more direct than scrolling through menus.

8. Electric Fence For Dogs
    August 21, 07:01 Reply

When Android is all about collaboration and improvement as can be seen from the Open Handset Alliance’s initiatives, so why not make Google Gesture Search a developer tool? Its a wise move. Hope its benefits the user.

9. It is an exciting information about Android developers who have an abundance of tools such as AdMob to improve profitability, JTwitter to make twitter clients, Google Maps integration, and even GUI design via DroidDraw. All of these tools distributed for free so that developer’s can take them and make applications that are better than those on any other mobile platform. Thanks for the nice post.