Rumor: Verizon’s Nexus One Due by End of Next Week (With a Surprise)

SoftSailor is reporting that one of their most trusted tipsters claims the Nexus One will hit Verizon Wireless by the end of next week. We’ve been hearing things like “soon” and “any day now” for a while, but this is perhaps the most definitive window yet.   In a related note, jkOnTheRun is reporting that the Nexus One will arrive with something the other version(s) don’t have.  Being that we’re talking Verizon, we could guess this means Skype Mobile will preloaded.  However, there are plenty of other fun things to consider.

We’d like to hear from you – What do you think Verizon’ version of the Nexus One will have different from the T-Mobile iteration?

Lower price?  Flash? Sense UI?  Available in retail stores?  Sound off in the comments below!

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6606 posts

Is Android the Transition of the Smartphone As Primary Data Device?

Small lightweight Notebooks, Netbooks and UMPCs have spurred much interest in the Mobile Workforce, Early Adopters and cutting edge Smartphone users to find solutions in the marketplace to pare down

Nikon intros Android-based 16-megapixel camera

Nikon today announced a 16-megapixel Android-based camera in the form of the recently rumored S800C. Featuring a 10X optical zoom and Wi-Fi support, the camera runs 2.3 Gingerbread under the

LG and VMware Bringing Virtual Environments to Android [VIDEO]

LG and VMware have partnered up to bring virtualization to an Android phone near you. The handset maker understands as well as anyone that today’s smart phones are more than capable of handling both work and play needs. Rather than carrying around two devices with separate features, LG plans to offer a virtual work environment using an Android application.

1. Tom
    March 30, 15:29 Reply

My guess is that they finally offer the car dock for purchase. At least I hope so, I've been waiting so long!

2. Fuzzy
    March 30, 15:54 Reply

Verizon is already pushing Skype mobile to its select smartphones. I just got my Skype mobile app yesterday on my Blackberry Curve. If it's to be a 'Surprise' it has to be something newer.

3. Charlie
    March 30, 15:57 Reply

Well, Verizon is known to include gps navigation.

• @savagejeep
      March 30, 16:06 Reply

The phone will come with turn by turn Google Navigation preloaded.

• Joe Dougherty
        March 31, 14:14 Reply

The Nexus One for T-Mobile comes with Google Maps Navigation by default. That wouldn't be any surprise.

4. ArT
    March 30, 16:27 Reply

I thought the whole purpose of the nexus one was that it is all google and nothing from the carrier. That would mean no skype off the bat and no verizon navigator. And I would say that counts out Sense UI as well (just wait for the HTC incredible for all of those things to be pre-installed).

But as for the surprise? Hopefully they'll be in store! I'd love to put it up against the Incredible when it comes out!!

• anakin78z
      March 30, 16:41 Reply

Yea, I actually hope the phone ISN'T any different on Verizon (save the radio, duh). The Nexus One should be the Nexus One… not the Verizon Nexus One.

5. Fuzzy
    March 30, 16:55 Reply

I don't think there will be any hardware changes except for the radio being CDMA. However, I hope they have CDMA+GSM and make this a world phone. If they did that, this phone will beat every other phone in the market. Heck I will buy one for each of my family member.

• Ken
      March 30, 17:35 Reply

Now, Thats a Cool surprize… I would probly buy a couple myself, already have Two, T-Mo & ATT Versions…

6. Billy
    March 30, 16:16 Reply

I think they'll just include a 16GB MicroSD card like the Droid does.

7. TareX
    March 30, 16:34 Reply

Here's what I want the surprise to be:

1) HW-accelerated super-smooth flash.
    2) A front camera —> plz plz plz plz
    3) An ultra-thin keyboard.

• Ken
      March 30, 17:33 Reply

Ha, Ha,Ha Keep Dreaming!

• Jen
        March 31, 00:40 Reply

I would be so mad if they dropped it with the front camera only because I got my N1 on T-Mob 4 weeks ago =)

• Doug
      March 31, 16:11 Reply

A removable camera lens option would be significant in their sales. It would open a whole new market to personnel who can not have a "camera phone" while at the work place due to security reasons. The lens could be installed on personal time.

• Erik
      March 31, 17:30 Reply

Seriously, what's the big deal of a front camera? at best it's a niche accessory for those who like to take self portraits, which admittedly, the vast majority do not.

8. @rmlst11
    March 30, 21:06 Reply

Honestly, the best thing software wise that could happen to the VZW n1 would be sense UI. I have a Droid right now, and that's the only thing I think would make this phone better. I've read rumors about Verizon phones coming preloaded with swype in the future, and I wouldn't really be surprised if they started with the n1. Of course, the odds of anyof this happening is questionable due to the all google-ness of the phone. I was really pumped for the n1, but as of right now, I'm more inclined to wait for the incredible.

• DroidDev
      March 31, 16:06 Reply

You will never see Sense UI come stock on a Google branded device. Not sure why people havent figured this out yet.

9. uhale
    March 30, 17:44 Reply

Hmmm, it could be CDMA+GSM–that way they could release vodaphone and verizon at the same time with the same phone…after all, they both say Coming Spring 2010

10. rob
    March 30, 22:08 Reply

my guess is that it will be Android Froyo (2.2)

11. Tan
    March 30, 22:23 Reply

SENSE would ruin it so stop speculating..

12. Ryan
    March 30, 18:44 Reply

pinch and zoom. that's the big secret.

• Joe Dougherty
      March 31, 14:16 Reply

The T-Mobile nexus already had pinch and zoom. No surprise there.

13. Lars
    March 31, 04:15 Reply

CDMA + GSM would simply destroy everyone else. As clunky as my Samsung Saga is, it is nice that it works everywhere on earth plus flawless vzw signal. 6 bands, Rev A and wifi! Who needs LTE? The connection isn't the slow part. 1Mbit is already more than a smartphone needs.

• Tan
      March 31, 13:37 Reply

Do you have an extended battery for it? I hear battery is horrible on that. I am curious.

14. jk23
    March 31, 18:10 Reply

I guess you reporter's have nothing better to do, first it was going to be announced at the CTIA, now it's this week, that week. It's from a trusted source, or a better source from before. Why don't you reporters just wait until Verizon or Google announces something, instead of going with your unreliable sources.

15. jethro
    March 31, 19:03 Reply

SoftSailor is reporting that "one of their most trusted tipsters" and in a related note, jkOnTheRun is "reporting that the Nexus One will arrive with something the other version(s) don't have." These two statements make me laugh. Time will tell. How about a retail price of $499, that's something the other versions don't have. HaHaHa. I hope the 'surprise' is that they will be available in store, but I doubt it. Gonna wait a little longer and see what happens with the Incredible.

16. Ragndemon
    April 01, 10:06 Reply

Would be really nice of them to allow a "trade-in" for customers regardless of contract length remaining.

17. khay
    July 14, 09:45 Reply

nice info. thank you for sharing. i like it :p