Android for Non-geeks

If you’re anything like me then all this talk about Android development, source code, root, version, etc., is all completely over your head. If you don’t know who Cyanogen is, it’s okay. Well, for now. So, what’s the real deal about Android phones? So far, only the geekiest have them, right? I mean, who else is going to sit at a computer all day fiddling with source code to come up with some new doohickey thingamabob that changes a single light on a phone? Well, my husband, the biggest geek I’ve ever met, and thousands more.

I never really paid attention to operating systems until my husband got his first Android phone. Even then, I didn’t really care. The phone wasn’t nearly as cute as the one that I had! All of that changed the day my cats ate my charger. I was forced into using a rooted G1. I had a hard time with the touch screen at first, I couldn’t get used to it. However, the keyboard was a vast improvement over my previous one, and I now had a phone that could operate as fast as  I was texting. There was no longer a lag as the phone struggled to keep up with me. Now though, I can text on a soft keyboard almost as quickly as I used to text on a hard keyboard.

I am no longer afraid of geek-speak. I can jump in with some of the noobs and actually feel like the smart girl! My husband has created a monster, though. I am now on my third Android phone in a matter of six months. I keep wanting a more advanced version!  I don’t root, and I definitely don’t mess with source code, but at least I can understand some of what my husband is saying now. If I have a question about my phone, I am just a few short clicks away from an answer. No longer do I stay on the phone for hours at a time with some no name operator trying to resolve an issue with my phone. By the time I can even get someone on the line, I have already found the answer within the Android community and fixed the problem myself.

I am now fixated on Hubby’s Nexus One and counting down until it becomes mine! Android is no longer just for the geeks. This operating system  is amazing for anyone and everyone. My purse is so much lighter now, too. I no longer have to carry a day planner, magazine, book, or toys for my preschooler. These phones are  all of that and so much more. Never before has something been so easy for even the most technologically challenged to use. I am anxiously awaiting the latest and greatest development to become available.

Maybe one of these days, I’ll be writing source code too. For now, I am perfectly content telling Hubby what I want and having him create the code that allows my phone to do it. It’s pretty incredible to have a phone that you can get to do exactly what you want it to. I will never be able to return to the prehistoric ages of feature phones. I am now and forever more a devoted Android fan.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

34 Weeks of OHA: #22

Company Name: Qualcomm, Inc. How the OHA site classifies them: Semiconductor Company What the OHA site says about them: Qualcomm Incorporated is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital

Wallpapers

Download all the new Android L wallpapers

Now the new Android L Developer Preview is available, the guys over at XDA have extracted the wallpapers used on the latest version of Android, so not only can you

Apple sets sights on Samsung Galaxy S4 in patent infringement lawsuit

Apple currently has a pretty massive “anti-Android” lawsuit going, and they’re looking to add yet another device to their list of culprits. Apple says that: Samsung recently released its newest

1. Luis
    April 05, 16:23 Reply

I love it when even the non-technologist person can use the Android os for cell phones.

2. fatscooter
    April 05, 17:49 Reply

Im just curious, but what was it that you used before Android?

3. David
    April 05, 18:32 Reply

My wife is excited to inherit my Sprint HTC Hero when I upgrade this summer. I am too because I hate maintaining her Blackberry Tour.

4. Adam
    April 05, 19:25 Reply

I would love to get more ppl into android, price is still a big factor though.

5. Stacy
    April 05, 20:27 Reply

@fatscooter, I was using a Samsung Gravity. @Adam, actually, with the money that you end up saving on books, kids games, address books, and replacing feature phones, you've not only saved money, you've made money. Besides, some of the phone companies have payment plans where you can split the phone payment up into 20 months. I will gladly pay the extra money for a phone that actually works, versus shelling out for a new phone constantly when something goes wrong with the other.

6. Becca
    April 05, 20:48 Reply

Great Article Stace! Everytime I see one of those adds that say, “Droid is Coming” I think to myself, you must be living in the dark ages. ANDROID is already here! User friendly, Fun to use, it does everything except cook dinner and it very nearly does that! I love my lowly G1 and will NEVER, NEVER, go back to anything else.

• Stacy
      April 08, 21:19 Reply

Hey silly, the Droid is an Android phone. =0

7. julie wilson
    April 06, 04:04 Reply

Stacy, I am so proud of you! You are an excellent writer! Don't have a clue what this is, but now I must find out! Love You, Mom

• Stacy
      April 08, 21:18 Reply

It’s an amazing operating system. Do you still have Verizon? If so, wait a month or so and then go talk to your local Verizon guys. They have Android phones now, but Hub says to wait a month. I think you would find that it makes life so much more manageable for you!

8. Rene
    April 06, 12:59 Reply

Stacy, your story scared me. "I am now fixated on Hubby's Nexus One and counting down until it becomes mine!"…. I have a Nexus one coming and hope my to use a bit before losing it like your husband has.

:) It's a good read, thanks.

9. Rene
    April 06, 12:59 Reply

:) It's a good read, thanks.

10. Stacy
    April 06, 16:10 Reply

He hasn't lost it yet. I have to wait until he gets something newer!! (Or until I just break down and buy one). =D

11. xarophti
    April 07, 02:09 Reply

you go, Android Girl!! Too many people think Android is just for the geek boys. Especially the ones who just want to root and mess with custom roms and games. There is so much more it can do to help your day to day life. (Hey, have you checked out "Our Groceries"? You can sync the grocery lists between yours and hubby's phones so no matter who stops at the store, you're working from the same list…) Every time I see some company that has an iPhone app I'd use (a supermarket chain, insurance company, etc.) I send a polite email requesting that they consider an Android application.

12. david
    April 07, 05:58 Reply

wait is stacy cyonagen's wife? im lost

• Stacy
      April 08, 21:13 Reply

No, I am not Cyanagen’s wife… I am ChainsDD’s wife. =D

13. xarophti
    April 07, 02:09 Reply

• Stacy
      April 08, 21:14 Reply

Love that app! Hubby found it, and it’s a lifesaver.

14. Alicia
    April 07, 22:43 Reply

Ha – You sound just like me! Total computer-geek husband who writes Android apps, and I've gotten sucked into the geek vortex myself with my growing love of Android!! I wish more "non-geeks" would see the light as well because it has so much to offer!

• Stacy
      April 08, 21:16 Reply

My husband considers me his dork. I’m not nerdy, not quite geeky, but I guess I fit “Dork” to a “t”. The os is great. I’ve gotten so many people addicted to it just by using mine normally. They see all that it does, and they go wild. It’s awesome!! (Oh, and I’m sure that it helps that I always feel super smart around non Android users.)

• Alicia
        April 09, 17:51 Reply

Haha! I've been trying to recruit more people to the Android world as well. I get to show off my smarts to my friend who just got one. :)

15. khay
    July 14, 01:38 Reply

thank you so much for sharing. great post!!! like this :p