Download This! iTag
There’s no way around it. As much as we try to keep our cell phones with us, somehow we still manage to leave them places. We leave our handsets on the counter at home, in the taxi, on the airplane, and in (yikes) bathrooms.
Check out a couple of interesting and scary figures about lost phones:
- Over 85,000 cell phones were lost in Chicago taxis in 2005
- Disneyland collects over 300 phones a week
- 8,701 mobile devices were left in Washington/Baltimore taxis over a 6 month period in 2006
Unfortunately, things will only worsen as the number of smart phones grows. Thankfully companies like iTag are around to help us find out phones and recover them.
Founded in 2007, California-based iTag helps users locate, protect, and recover your lost handsets. Their free Android application recently landed in the market and it’s making waves. It was recently selected as a finalist in the CTIA Emerging Technology Awards in Mobile Applications.
If you find yourself with a missing cell phone, you can view its location on a map using iTag’s secure website. Using some of the tools at your disposal, you can make your phone ring even if it was set to silent. This is handy for those times when you can’t figure out which room you left your Nexus One in. One of the best features is that it sends you an alert should someone find your phone and swap the SIM card out. Included in that message is the phone number associated with the new SIM.
Other options and features in iTag:
- If someone replaces the SIM card, the new number (or number of the thief) is sent to the web site.
- If the battery is about to die, the location is sent to the web site.
- If you can’t recover your phone, iTag backs up the information and allows you to erase all the personal and sensitive information on your phone.
- You can click a button on the website to make your phone ring even if the phone is set to vibrate or silent. This is useful if you cannot locate your phone in your house or car.
Scan or click the barcode with your Android handset to download iTag for free out of the Android Market!
You might also like
That didn’t take long. We have the official press release for the Acer handset that was just announced about an hour ago. For some strange reason, Acer has yet to name their new 4.8-inch smart phone.
Barnes & Noble is expected to announce another device in their NOOK lineup later this month, possibly more powerful than its predecessors. Although the full details remain hazy at this
The popular addictive number puzzle game Threes! has been released for Android on the Google Play Store. Threes! involves matching numbers in a puzzle which will be sure to test