Verizon’s Nexus One Not Happening, Buy Its Cousin Instead

After waiting patiently for the Nexus One to arrive on Verizon’s network, customers have learned today that there will be no such animal.  The official Google Phone store has removed the placeholder indicating a spring launch and replaced it with a blurb about buying the “similarly feature-packed cousin”, the Droid Incredible.  No word has been been given as to why the Nexus One was scrapped.

Related to 3G issues?  Worry over cannibalization of Droid Incredible?  Fear that it wouldn’t sell as compared to the latest and greatest?  Chime in with your guess below!

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6607 posts

Featured

The week’s best Android rumors: Google Smartwatch, Nexus 8, LG G3, and more

Samsung Galaxy S5 Zoom The first details for Samsung’s camera-centric Galaxy S5 experience have surfaced in new benchmarks. Assuming they’re accurate, the SM-C115 should employ a hexa-core Exynos chip, a 4.8-inch 720p

How to Fix the Android SDK Debug Monitor in OS X Snow Leopard

The Android SDK is probably my favorite tool to come out of the Android OS so far. I use it for everything- installing apps, emulator tests, moving files- I even

Toshiba Excite 7 review

As the price continues to drop for tablets, consumers are more and more in the great position to be able to select the device they want. No longer having to

1. Steve
    April 26, 16:08 Reply

Because its not GSM? Google can't just sell a phone that a subscriber can insert a SIM in? Your locked into phone that Verizon approve?

Are they the Apple of phone companies?

• @taradinoc
      April 26, 16:39 Reply

Google does sell a phone that a subscriber can insert any SIM into: it's called the unlocked Nexus One, and it can be yours for $529. But SIM cards are only for GSM, and Verizon uses CDMA.

Verizon doesn't restrict you to phones they approve – you can activate CDMA phones from other carriers. At this point, however, it seems like there might not be a CDMA version of the Nexus One after all. Maybe the FCC listings people were so excited about were actually for the Droid Incredible?

2. @BenjRubenstein
    April 26, 16:10 Reply

I could care less about VZW. I just hope Sprint doesn't force me into getting the EVO 4G. I've held the HD2 and it's just too big for me. I want the Nexus One.

3. @tenkely
    April 26, 16:39 Reply

That's too bad if it is true. It kind of abandons everyone who wants a strong device on VZW without the Sense UI or Motorola as the manufacturer (new Skyhook Partnership included).

Not to mention the Verizion's "seamless" OTA upgrades that the Droid received… heh.

4. Kenny
    April 26, 17:45 Reply

If I were Android 2.2, 2.3, 2.4… I bet I'll be deployed to the Nexus one first

Incredible users? See you in 2011~
    (just look at those poor Hero users who had been disappointed again and again)

5. bruce mcl
    April 26, 23:25 Reply

I don't think Verizon ever intended to have the Nexus One on their network. Verizon always had a link to one of their Android phones on the Google Nexus web page, which is what they wanted. First was the Droid, now it's the Incredible instead of the Droid.

It is nice of them to remove lie about the coming Verizon Nexus One, but I don't think Verizon cares much about being honest. The lie isn't needed any more, so it's gone now.

Deceiving customers to keep them from switching carriers is business as usual for Verizon, as it is for most carriers. Maybe Verizon deceived Google as well, or maybe Google played along as part of the price for Verizon adopting Android.

6. @taradinoc
    April 26, 23:55 Reply

The Nexus One and Incredible both make me say "meh". A physical keyboard is a must-have for certain applications (SSH, some games and most emulators). The Motorola Droid is still king, as far as I can tell.

7. khay
    July 13, 18:22 Reply

thank you so much for info. great post!! i like it :p