You Tell Us: What is the Best Android Phone/Carrier Combo?

Time for some reader feedback!  We want to know which Android handset and wireless provider make for the best combination.  Is it the Droid Incredible because of the hardware? Maybe something from T-Mobile because of rate plans?

Leave your opinion in the comments below!

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6602 posts

Amazon working on a Kindle TV set-top box?

Lately, it seems that Amazon is trying to take over the technology world. They began with e-readers, moved on to tablets, revealed that they may be working on a smartphone,

From Dream to Prototype…

When Andy Rubin demoed the first working Android model to a BBC reporter back in late February, he described it as:  “a reference design one of our partners built for

Barnes & Noble launching a successor to Nook Tablet?

Today is finally the day when Amazon will launch some new “amazing” stuff, and that event will make an impact on their competitors,  forcing them to come up with new

1. Sam
    April 27, 18:18 Reply

Ditto. Verizon / The Droid's

2. @BenjRubenstein
    April 27, 18:19 Reply

Sprint / Evo 4G or Nexus One (when they come out)

Best plans available and reliable coverage.

3. @Chaddledee
    April 27, 18:20 Reply

Google Nexus One / ANY CARRIER EVER. I'm currently using it with 3 over here in the UK to get unlimited texts and internet at £15/m. If anyone else gets out a better deal, I can swap it to that straight away. :3

4. Luis
    April 27, 18:25 Reply

T-Mobile is best plan… The Loyal Family plan – Everything unlimited

5. Kenji O.
    April 27, 18:29 Reply

In my area? I'm really looking for to Sprint & the EVO 4G. I love the current Sprint plan I'm on (Simply Everything) and combine that with the great 4G coverage in Seattle, it's a match made in heaven!

6. @Gusteez
    April 27, 18:30 Reply

When the Dell Streak comes available later this year it will be that on Tmobile. Tmo is definitely the best carrier out there.

7. Will
    April 27, 18:36 Reply

T-Mobile and the upcoming MyTouch Slide

Right now it's hard to say, since there are really so few Android phones in the hands of US carriers. AT&T only has one Android handset. The Droid is the popular one, due in large part to the marketing prowess of Verizon, but Motorola goes out of its way to make its phones difficult to root, and isn't forthcoming with speedy updates. Sprint has a few, desirable Android phones. But I'm going to have to stick with T-Mobile, both on pricing of rate plans and selection of Android handsets. I believe it's the only carrier that won't hook you into a contract for a phone (if you choose that route), giving you the bait-and-switch of a subsidized handset with a higher monthly plan fee. You can get a price on an unlimited everything plan that's cheaper than the same on other carriers, while picking the Android handset form factor that's right for you.

8. jiltedcitizen
    April 27, 18:41 Reply

Sprint / Hero for currently available.
    Can't beat Sprint's plans.

9. GUest
    April 27, 18:44 Reply

Nexus One / T-Mobile. Personally haven't had any 3G issues in NYC, and unlike AT&T, T-Mo doesn't gimp the hell out of their phones

• gururise
      April 28, 15:54 Reply

ditto – T-Mobile / Nexus One.. Best prices, best phone!

• a.j.
      July 25, 17:16 Reply

one question. gump their phones out? haha and i agree with your choice even tho i have at&t but im going to sprint to get the evo bc its the newest one shuld be the best so far

10. david
    April 27, 18:46 Reply

Overall, T-Mobile…easy to handle issues (other than the poor battery/no 3.5 cable issues with the G1) previously less costs for the same items, auto unlock if asked for, in my location non-issue and 1mb+ download 3G before others and grandfathered in family plan. PLUS they were the 1st to have any Android phone. Sad they have been 'out gun' by others with better phone specs. Also sadly their new pricing would force me to go with others who have better android phones if they do not get their act together as to lose what I have and now get the same would cost me 40-50 dollars more making me jump to others with better phone specs.

11. Fitch
    April 27, 18:57 Reply

T-Mobile / Nexus One

Price + service + fastest phone that never lags, + WILL WORK ON HSPA+

12. Shamus
    April 27, 19:04 Reply

Totally agree. The phone (when rooted) is actually quite awesome still… even if it doesn't have 2.+ yet (Waves fists in air at HTC)

13. robert0
    April 27, 19:08 Reply

Ditto for me. Just hope 2.x comes soon!

14. Darnnell
    April 27, 19:22 Reply

Sprint data plans can not be beat especially if you have a family plan where At&t & Verizon Charge $30 per phone just for data im going for a 4g or a Nexus

15. Greg
    April 27, 19:35 Reply

Today, Verizon – Droid.. The only reason AT&T isn't, is because they only have 1, the backflip. When June gets hear, it will be an entirely different answer. AT&T will regain its rightful place at the top. They have the best network hands down, Endgaget proved this a littlw while back.

16. apascua61
    April 27, 19:46 Reply

Verizon/ Droid. Besides the heavy marketing, it's a powerful enough phone, has a keyboard (important to me) and a pretty good camera with flash, GREAT 3G coverage and speed. I've had tmobile before and the 3G well… sucks, internet is slow and frankly (i cant say from experience) I don't think you can take full advantage of more powerful phones (like the N1) with this provider.

17. Jek3
    April 27, 19:47 Reply

AT&T / Backflip – Beautiful 3.1" Gorrilla Glass screen and a seemingly impossible root challenge all in one oddly functional backward-hinged package.

• chuck
      April 28, 13:01 Reply

Fail phone.. fail network.. It comes preinstalled with yahoo!?!?! Wtf

18. themetatron
    April 27, 19:58 Reply

T-Mobile/any android device
    with the even more and even more plus in addition to $20 data plans(call and ask), the choice is clear for me. of course it all depends on coverage where you are and where you plan to go

19. chang3d
    April 27, 15:58 Reply

I currently have the HTC Hero with Sprint. The plan is great. I’m paying about $55 a month after fees and stuff. ($10 off the Everything Plus Data plan). But the Hero’s being officially 1.5 sucks. So the current crown definitely belongs to Verizon and the Incredible.

When the HTC Evo comes out with Sprint’s 4G, Sprint will be back on top. If we do get simultaneous data + voice, then even better. We can tell AT&T to **** off.

20. @tenkely
    April 27, 20:01 Reply

T-Mobile / Nexus One

Honestly, TMO has the best selection of Android devices that can be used on their network. G1 and MT3G with Vanilla 1.6, Motorola Cliq and CliqXT with MotoBlur 1.5 , Samsung Behold 2 with WTF 1.5, Nexus One with Vanilla 2.1, and the future MT Slide with Sense Expresso 2.1 & Garminfone (with Garmin?).

So many Android choices and contrary to what some may say, a good reliable network that is continually improving (HSPA+)!

21. @tenkely
    April 27, 20:02 Reply

Not if AT&T keeps crippling it's Android devices.

• Derrick
      April 28, 11:54 Reply

That is why you get the unlocked Nexus on AT&T – very happy with mine so far…

22. @tenkely
    April 27, 20:03 Reply

I have an N1 on TMO, it easily rivals my coworkers Droid on VZW…easily. He does get more bars in our brick building though… 😉

23. Jon_Droid
    April 27, 20:05 Reply

Hands down it's Verizon Wireless and the Motorola Droid!

iPHONEY Killer!

24. @tenkely
    April 27, 20:09 Reply

How does sprint compare to a completely unlimited experience on TMO @ around $80/month?

25. Keith
    April 27, 20:23 Reply

As of Friday (for most of us) Verizon / HTC Incredible

26. Dee
    April 27, 20:27 Reply

HTC Hero/EVO4G Sprint

27. CherylNTX
    April 27, 20:37 Reply

Sprint / Hero (until the EVO comes out) Sprint's prices + coverage are hands down the winners!

28. Ryan
    April 27, 20:59 Reply

Well it has to be Rogers with the magic and dream. When I first bought my magic I was told there would be an o.t.a update for 1.6, then they told us "just kidding, no 1.6 for u", then they forced an update on people or their data would be turned off. Constant run arounds when asked about updates saying its up to HTC, then HTC saying its up to Rogers. Finally they gave in when an online petition(iwantmyonepointsix.com). But I finally fixed the problem by buying a nexus one and everything is all good. So I guess I'm saying the best combo is an unlocked nexus one and Rogers. I'm actually pretty happy about my phone situation now.

29. @bkbonner
    April 27, 21:23 Reply

I have to agree with Ben. After looking at the plans for Sprint. I can get a family everything plan for 4 people for $42.50/person? I have Sprint for EVDO Air Card and it's fast. I'm paying more than that with Tmo for three people (An android phone and two blackberries) Moving to Sprint will save me some real coin.

30. Usman
    April 27, 21:54 Reply

I'll never buy Motorola after their decision to willingly cripple their upcoming Android phones (i.e. Yahoo search, etc.)… so for me it's whatever high-end HTC phone is out there on pretty much any carrier. The Incredible on VZW, the Nexus One on T-mo or AT&T, and the Evo 4G or Nexus One on Sprint.

31. Mark
    April 27, 22:02 Reply

Nexus One/No Carrier is the best combination. I use pay-as-you go with unlimited data for 10EUR/mth in Germany. Works out cheaper than the 24 month deals. Also, this way you're sure to get the next SDK update first.

32. kathi17
    April 27, 22:48 Reply

My favorite carrier is T-Mo, but my favorite phone is the Evo. We don't have Sprint anywhere near here, so I don't know anything about them. Guess I will stick with T-Mo and my G1 for a while longer. (Nexus is not an option for me on my family plan).

33. MiffTheFox
    April 27, 18:51 Reply

Obviously, there is no single best carrier for everybody, as cell coverage and 3G availability vary by region.

That said, I’m currently in Huntsville, AL, and have a T-Mobile-branded HTC Dream (G1) on take a guess.

34. zjb2000
    April 27, 23:02 Reply

Sprint and the Beast Evo 4G. Hands down.

35. @brianjcohen
    April 27, 19:11 Reply

This is a really silly thing to ask. Relatively few people can afford to buy a smartphone that hasn't been subsidized with a locked-in 2 year contract. Most of us picked a phone+network and we're stuck with them for a while. Most of us are just going to write in what we currently use.

I use a Motorola Droid on Verizon. For all I know, the Nexus One on T-Mobile, or the forthcoming HTC Incredible on Verizon, or some other phone/carrier is a better combo, but I certainly am in no position to know.

You in the tech press, who get to review all these phones for free, should be telling *us* what combos are best.

36. @LANjackal
    April 27, 23:26 Reply

VZW + Motorola DROID. Best for coverage and features.

37. Willie Liddell
    April 27, 23:26 Reply

Cellular South/HTC Hero. Cellular South has one standard that includes voice,data, and text for one price. Also, offers 2nd smartphone free and for a limited time offers pay off of early termination for switching. IMO.

Willie

38. Andydroid
    April 27, 23:31 Reply

I have an HTC Hero and a Sprint Unlimited Plan. The HTC Hero is an awesome smartphone and I love Sprint's Plans. With Sprint, I get Unlimited Everything plus mobile-to-mobile across ALL carriers; and all for the lowest price of any carrier ($69.99 per month – 20% corp discount). My next phone is very likely to be Sprint's EVO coupled with the same low cost Everything/Unlimited plan.

39. rev2redlineguy
    April 28, 00:22 Reply

Nexus One & T-Mobile. They have the best rates with the Even More Plus (read it baby…NO CONTRACT!). Okay so you have to pay full price for a phone but for people who can afford it, it's well worth it. You can also make payments on your phone for even the more budget-minded person…woo-hoo!

40. @bkbonner
    April 27, 21:23 Reply

41. Ken
    April 28, 01:43 Reply

Nexus One / T Mobile the nexus is the best android phone available right now. I got mine a month after release. I LOVE IT. Best phone I ever had. Came from the Wing to the G1. I haven't had any 3G issues or many problems that standout. The phone is super fast, calls a clear on both end (dual mics) and I can surf the web and talk with Tmobile. Multitouch, free turn by turn directions and Google voice works flawlessly in 2.1. I can't wait for 2.2 to bring Adobe Flash support. Also because the Nexus One is googles official phone it will always get updates first. While most people are awaiting 2.0 or 2.1 I've been enjoying it for months now. With Google and Adobe that flash is coming in the first half of the year Im looking for 2.2 to hit anyday now. The Nexus also supports docks that give unlock special features. I can listen to my stero playing music through the docks Bluetooth and still have my phone in hand surfing the web, how cool is that. NEXUS ONE KILLA

• gururise
      April 28, 15:57 Reply

Agreed. T-Mobile / Nexus One combo cannot be beat in terms of price/performance!

42. meh
    April 28, 02:49 Reply

Have Hero on Sprint right now, will get Evo when it comes out.
    As far as plans there is little competition:
    25% employee discount on my family plan with 5 people on it; unlimited data, text and mobile to mobile on any carrier. $30 a month for each of us after taxes and fees.

43. A S
    April 28, 02:56 Reply

How do you make the unlimited VoIP calls with the Nexus One?

44. A S
    April 28, 02:58 Reply

All the people mentioning Nexus One / T-Mobile combo – have you guys not experienced any 3G issues?

• gururise
      April 28, 15:58 Reply

No 3g issues whatsoever. I'm in Los Angeles and get excellent coverage with T-Mobile.

45. mahogany1
    April 28, 03:00 Reply

TMobile but the worse selection of phones.

46. AP0000
    April 27, 23:03 Reply

T-Mobile is by far the most customer oriented of the big 4 (although sprint is a close 2nd). They give you options that Verizon and ATT wont since they care about their customers.

I have a Nexus 1 and pay $34 a month for unlimited data and can make free unlimited voip calls with it.

47. @sheilaloring
    April 28, 04:12 Reply

Sprint with a Samsung Moment. Sprint has the best phones and plans in my area.

48. jazrawk22
    April 28, 05:57 Reply

Had the mytouch on tmobile was paying almost $200 for two phones plus it was super slow and Lagged majorly…switched to the hero on Sprint now only paying $109 for 3 phones and is super fast and good service

49. Howard
    April 28, 02:20 Reply

Droid on Verizon…waiting for the release of the HTC!

50. darkness
    April 28, 07:02 Reply

I worked for sprint in the past and its not the best company but tmobile does have a lot of different android phones, so if you don't like they have more to choose from any more coming plus the plans are affordable and have the choice in contract or non contract plans. Plus the web add on is cheaper then any other carrier unlimited everything for 79.99 and can make payments for your phone.

51. Morten
    April 28, 07:21 Reply

Any Norwegian carrier (2-5mbit 3G, all day, every day). And probably HTC Desire.

52. Miguel
    April 28, 09:36 Reply

T-Mobile Even More PLUS plans and Nexus One!!!

Those suckers on AT&T (and soon Sprint) are buying UNSUBSIDIZED Nexus One’s and still paying full monthly rates.

53. gururise
    April 28, 15:53 Reply

T-Mobile / Nexus One – Gorgeous 3.7" AMOLED display. 1Ghz Snapdragon. Stock Android. Completely unlocked and open. Fast updates.. Need I say more??

54. Greg
    April 28, 18:25 Reply

@tenkely, I agree 100% if they keep crippling the Android devices the more techie consumers will move away from AT&T. However, the even more tech savy will go right around the handicap that AT&T puts down as seen in the Backflip.

Derrick, I was just talking about that. If they would just drop the price on the Nexus One, I'd grab one myself! So your really loving the best of both worlds, lucky!!

55. hazydave
    April 28, 19:27 Reply

Verizon/Droid.

The Droid is exactly what I waited a year-and-a-half for in a smart phone. My Treo died, and I had pretty much had enough of Palm by then anyway. I knew what I wanted. I was certain it was Android, but the G1 and some of the others didn't really do it for me. Then I read about the Droid, and haven't looked back since… perfect. Great thing about Android, though… if the Droid's not perfect for you, there's bound to be one that is. None of this "if it's right for Steve Jobs… don't think so? We have Kool-Aid for you, have a drink and learn to live the iPhone". It's a tool, not a cult.

Verizon gets high marks. I was on Verizon anyway, with a dumb phone on a family plan. Cost me $100 for the Droid and $30 additional per month for the network. Not a problem. I already knew their network was good.. it's the only one that reaches my cellar (home office), and only one of two (the other being AT&T) that reaches the indoors of my house.

I went from South Jersey to Boston and back, listening to music the whole way via Pandora… never the slightest glitch. That's a reliable network.

56. Claysu
    April 29, 02:06 Reply

T-Mobile and G1/Nexus One-The Best

57. Ed Greenberg
    April 29, 13:30 Reply

Carrier choice is a really personal, and important decision, and I think that for many power users it comes before device choice. Reliability, cost, coverage, customer service and, of course, contract status drive this choice.

I rejected iPhone because I wasn't willing to switch from Verizon. I was very happy when the Droid came out, and bought one the first day. I still recommend this platform, though I'll be interested in new Verizon offerings as they come out, and as my contract allows for upgrade.

58. rollyp80
    May 01, 15:02 Reply

Tmobile and Nexus One……great service plans…..and amazing phone! very pretty to look at as well…..

59. PinOKC
    May 06, 22:42 Reply

I have the Nexus One/TMobile and I have problems in some areas. Unfortunately one of them is at home and I made this my primary phone…

60. Ben
    June 15, 10:00 Reply

Over all I would say HTC with Sense UI. However the X10 mini is very interesting and takes Android in a slighly different direction.

In the UK Vodafone seem to be pushing Android the hardest. Their coverage is pretty good too.

61. khay
    July 13, 18:16 Reply

thank you so much for info. great post!! i like it :p

62. Kick_rocks86
    May 28, 04:09 Reply

Recently purchased the new samsung galaxy from boost mobile. Unlimited talk, text and data. $50 per month. Great coverage. No contract. Payment shrinks $5 every six months. Quite satisfied.