New York Times Android App Now Available in Android Market

After many months of rumors (and prayers by some, including my wife), the New York Times has finally launched an application for the Android OS.  It is now live and available for download in the Android Market.

If you have seen the New York Times iPhone app, the Android app is almost a straight port.  It has a classy, simple interface, featuring a black and white color scheme.  The app is very full featured (thankfully) and included photos, sharing options, and even videos! It is a very good app for a 1.0. Users even get the ability to cache articles offline!

Check it out over on the market (if you like the New York Times that is!).   Let us know what you think.  I am sure a full review is coming soon.

Source: Androlib and Androinica

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

Platinum Apps Releases Pair of Honeycomb Games

We’re huge fans of games that are easy to learn but darn near impossible to put down.  A simple premise and high replay value will often win out over 3D

Amazon Appstore 2.3 features new notification, download options

The Amazon Appstore application for Android has been updated to version 2.3 today, bringing along a few handy improvements.  The version release notes tell us that users will have added

Samsung enhances TecTile features with 3.0 update

Samsung today announced that their Tectile programmable NFC stickers have gotten an update, just in time for the U.S. debut of the Galaxy Note II.  As a v3.0 release, the

1. Droidlady
    May 11, 03:17 Reply

Thanks for the tip/heads-up from a news junkie. Down loaded it for my Droid.

2. Janne
    May 11, 03:18 Reply

The extensive permissions it asks for are a bit unsettling though; why would it need permission to make calls on your behalf for instance?

• JoeDan
      May 12, 11:56 Reply

Usually that's just because of the fact that if a phone number shows up on a page, it allows you to click on it to make a call. There's no need to get too worried about stuff like that… Asking for your permissions doesn't mean the app goes crazy and does all those things without you knowing about it!

3. Kyle
    May 11, 13:05 Reply

I can't see it in the market on my Hero.

4. Ragflan
    May 12, 05:16 Reply

I really like how they made it more Android-like. The interface I mean. I think developers should learn a thing or two about that. Instead of blindly porting from platform to platform, do a proper job and your customers would gladly pay what you charge for an app.

To the people that cannot find the app, I had the same problem. I was searching for New York Times but it did not show up. I searched for NYT and it came up. Hope that helps.

5. anna
    June 02, 16:59 Reply

How come there is no option to update all sections at once? This would be very useful to have, especially before riding the subway….

6. doel
    July 13, 17:18 Reply

nice info. thank you for sharing. like this :p

7. Frank
    June 27, 04:38 Reply

I already had this app.  it stopped working on my HTC Wildfire.  Cannot reinstall it.
    Error message says content filter on my device will not permit.  Crazy.

8. Andrew
    January 22, 23:15 Reply

There’s now a lot better version on the market that allows unlimited offline reading of NYTimes articles for free: New York Times Free (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.newyorktimes).
    It’s really fast and smooth.

It’s not an official application, I guess. But it’s much better than the official one.

• Andrew