USB & WiFi Tethering Built Into Android 2.2

As we head into next week’s Google I/O, Android 2.2 is looking more and more like a game changing release.  First there’s Flash integration.  Then came Android Market changes.  Just earlier this week we learned that Froyo is ridiculous fast.  Does it get better?  You bet.

Take a look at those pictures up there.  This is the latest piece of the awesome puzzle that is taking the fight right at Apple and RIM.  As it appears, Android 2.2 (Froyo) will offer WiFi and USB-based tethering as part of the operating system.

With data speeds getting faster by the day, more and more users are wanting to tether a netbook or laptop to their phone.  Building it directly into the operating system would provide yet another selling feature in an already powerful and robust platform.

Sadly, this seems like the first thing carriers might look to disable.  Thankfully, rooting Android handsets is rather easy!

Source: IntoMobile

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6577 posts

Sony releases open source DASH sensor framework

Sony today announced that they are releasing their Dynamic Android Sensor HAL (DASH) sensor framework as an open source GitHub project.  Essentially this means that custom ROM developers and other mobile

Google voice search learns new tricks, media controls and corrections in tow

Google is actively working on a Google Search app, This service keeps on growing in terms of functionality. Recently Google added a bunch of new languages to the service, so

Samsung Galaxy Q Headed to Rogers Wireless

A few days ago, we reported that Samsung is cooking up a new Android monster that will feature a 5.3-inch display, and will be announced at IFA 2011 which is

1. Ratnok
    May 13, 12:50 Reply

Since I own a Nexus One, T-Mobile can't disable it! Another reason to have a Nexus One! I wonder if that's the real reason why Verizon and Sprint canceled their plans for the Nexus One. They can't charge tethering fees and the data usage could skyrocket.

2. mauriceh
    May 13, 13:41 Reply

They cancelled it as they have NO control of it. That and the fact that the end user prepays for part of their service by "Buying" a phone from them. When the phone is unlocked, the user can leave when they perceive bad service.
    Locked phones from vendors is no accident. It is the preferred model of telcos.

3. Anton Spaans
    May 13, 14:05 Reply

I'm love photography and I really would like to try the combination of my phone's WiFi Hotspot + EyeFi card + Nikon D700. :-)

4. Kevin
    May 13, 14:06 Reply

Something to compete with the guys building #Cyanogen Roms that keep the oldest phone, G1, pretty relevant.

5. Dignan17
    May 13, 17:05 Reply

I'm excited about this, but I'm concerned with now it will work. I rooted my G1 and the WiFi Tethering worked fine for my laptop, but because it was creating an ad-hoc network, devices like my Zune could not connect to it (in fact, it couldn't even SEE the network). Here's hoping that the official Android tether will be infrastructure or something.

6. Jim
    May 13, 20:17 Reply

So no 2.2 for my HTC Verizon Incredible
    ?

7. Vic
    May 20, 03:38 Reply

As a former Blackberry user and current T-Mobile Customer now using the Nexus One, I figure since Blackberry has an app that allows tethering for a Wi-Fi connection that T-Mobile hasn't blocked they wont be able to block it with the Nexus if and when it becomes available.

Gotta say I love my GN1 and I patiently await the release of 2.2 and all its wonderful new features.