Most 2010 HTC Android Phones to See Froyo Upgrade

Wondering if your new HTC Desire will be getting Android 2.2? Yeah, so are we!  Well, according to HTC if your Android handset was made in 2010, it has a very good chance of seeing the Froyo upgrade (yay!).  The Desire, Droid Incredible, My Touch Slide, HTC Legend, as well as future models are a definite.  When this happens is anyone’s guess, but expect it to occur in the second half of 2010 at the earliest. For those who don’t want to wait you can always root!

Here is a portion of the official HTC statement regarding Froyo upgrades:

[…] if your phone was launched this year, we will most likely offer an upgrade for it to the Froyo version. This includes popular models like the Desire and Droid Incredible as well as hotly anticipated phones like the Evo 4G, MyTouch slide and upcoming models. We will announce a full list of phones and dates once we are closer to launching the upgrades. We are working closely with Google and our other partners to ensure we have the earliest access to everything we need to provide a complete and solid Sense experience on Froyo. We expect to release all updates in the second half of this year but can’t be more specific yet.

Source: Android Central

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

Report: App Developers See More Long-Term Viability in Android, Not iOS

It seems that Android is making waves over at Bloomberg.com, and once again, it’s over Apple and their coveted iPhone; however, this time, it is not in specs and phones,

New Amazon smartphone rumors spell out gestures, tilting, and more

It seems the Amazon smartphone is getting yet more details in the latest leak and the 3D effects were just that start of Amazon’s plans to bring something new to

Hasbro to Bring Their Characters to Life on Android

As a dad with kids who are as fascinated as I am with cool electronic toys, I am always on the lookout for apps that they can play and interact with as an alternative to just using them for gaming. During my morning rounds of the press releases for the day, I came across a presser from Hasbro and Ruckus Mobile Media, talking about how the two are coming together to bring characters from Hasbro like Tonka Chuck, My Little Pony and Transformers Prime to Android devices.

1. Terry Paton
    May 21, 00:39 Reply

So does that rule out the Android Dev Phone 2? Very sad as I just mistakenly bought one.

2. MaggieL
    May 21, 00:48 Reply

Terry: It doesn't rule out Dev Phone 2, it just doesn't explicitly include it.

I understand a number of DevPhone2/Magic/Ion/myTouch were seen at I/O running Froyo…including during the Roo/GWT/GAE demo during Day 1 keynote, if I'm not mistaken.

3. Ragflan
    May 21, 02:12 Reply

I hate the fact that they said 'most likely'. That's really annoying.

4. bigc_13
    May 21, 06:10 Reply

They will get Froyo, and it will only take as long as it has for HTC to put out 2.1 on other devices

5. lalelu
    May 21, 06:13 Reply

Its a shame that this is a "news". Damn I bought a Desire yesterday it should be taken for granted that I receive a new update. Is HTC that bad with updates? I think about switching to a Nexus One…

6. Dako
    May 21, 03:02 Reply

Well, I as an owner of phone-of-the-year HTC Hero, am still waiting for 2.1 update and I’m stuck with 1.5 one for loooooong time….

@HTC – Are you crazy?! No 2.0 update, no 2.1 update yet…. and probably no 2.2 update at all?! I am really pissed off already!!!

7. haynesteve
    May 21, 07:51 Reply

I'm with Dako – HTC said the same garbage about promising to update the Hero to 1.6, then to 2.0 , but I'm STILL stuck with 1.5

8. aidil
    May 21, 04:13 Reply

Agreed with Dako!

GSM HTC Hero is still waiting for the update!!!
    And wait maybe newer device from 2010 are able to get the 2.2 update! What about 2009 products especially the HTC Hero!

9. webby
    May 21, 13:04 Reply

I was going to upgrade to the EVO from my Droid because I want the larger screen. But since it gets released with an outdated OS version, and since the date of update to the new OS version is completely uncertain, and HTC's track record on updates is so sucky, I may not buy the EVO.

HTC and the carriers are losing a lot of business of educated buyers over their unacceptable update process.

10. acekard
    May 22, 05:23 Reply

This looks like a pretty epic phone. Hope this means my Hero will be getting the 2.2 update. You root your phone to get a better ROM, you break the warranty. I will mostly like start re-intimating myself with XDA right now. I hope that the HTC Desire will be one of the first to get the update. And I also hope that it will not take until September.

11. Matt
    October 01, 12:48 Reply

As of October 1, 2010 I still do not have 2.2 on my Mytouch Slide.

Gotta love T-mobile