Manually Update Your Nexus One To Android 2.2 Froyo!

FROYOYOYOYOYOYO!!!

FROYOYOYOYOYOYO!!!

FroYo (Android 2.2) is now available to download for Nexus One owners.

First impression, this thing is FAST. Just navigating around the menus, this thing is “Wickid Fast” (as Ray would say)! I can’t recall when an update had this much impact on Android’s UI.

Here’s how to update manually. Note, you MUST BE RUNNING STOCK RECOVERY!!

1. Download the Android 2.2 firmware for the Nexus One – here is the link to download
  2. Rename the file update.zip and copy it to your microSD card via USB. [Note: make sure the file is named update.zip and not update.zip.zip.]
  3. Power down your Nexus One
  4. Hold down the “Volume Down” button as you power the phone back on.
  5. A screen should appear showing your phone’s system searching for various files. Scroll down to “recovery” and press the “Power” button.
  6. When you see the triangle with an exclamation point symbol, press the “Power” and “Volume Up” buttons at the same time.
  7. From the menu that appears, select “Apply sdcard:update.zip.”
  8. When the screen displays “Install from sdcard complete” select “reboot system now” and wait for the phone to power back up. It may reboot itself instead of asking you to do it.

Flash it, tell us what you think? Honestly, this is why I bought the Nexus One. For this moment, right here.

Edit: Thanks to Cyanogen if you want root after flashing FroYo, you’ll want to check this thread on XDA for his solution.

Thanks to Phandroid: Manually Update Your Nexus One To Android 2.2 Froyo! | Android Phone Fans.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4629 posts

Download and install latest Hangouts 3.0 APK

An update is being pushed to Hangout users, with a few minor tweaks and enhancements. Here are the changes: Snooze notifications button moved to top Long-pressing a message includes View

Leaked LG G Pro 2 images show rear-mounted buttons

A pair of images surfacing over at Korean site DC Inside are giving us our first peeks at the upcoming LG G Pro 2. Like the G2 and G Flex, this

Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime “confirmed” in shipping manifest

The long-rumored premium Galaxy S5 gets one step closer to reality this week as a shipping manifest leaked online. Referencing four SM-G906K units being shipped for “R&D purpose”, it’s the

1. @rcpoon
    May 22, 20:39 Reply

It works and it is Beautiful. It feels faster than 2.1 for sure.

• aronil
      May 23, 16:28 Reply

I agree!i’m totally loving the new froyo. Lot faster and the keyboard and camera apps have good updates.

• Juan
      May 24, 17:38 Reply

do you know or someone here knows how to reset it back to 2.1 android cause its giving me a lot of problems right now. I called google support and once you update the froyo version even when they have not release the official update you cannot return it back to its original factory program???? please help me guys!!!!

2. Shawn
    May 22, 20:42 Reply

What about moto droid? Will this only work on nexus? Does anyone know if droid is ever getting froyo update?

• droidin
      May 22, 21:15 Reply

I would guess that much. Plus – on unrooted Nexus. I have the rooted version so I'm thinking restore and then update but it soo much hustle so I'm sure guys will figure it out by tomorrow

• Simon
      May 23, 10:14 Reply

This is nexus only! So don't try this on your droid you probably brick it!

3. ToddEDM
    May 22, 20:47 Reply

i want to know it if fixes the touchscreen issues!!!!!!

• @rcpoon
      May 22, 20:53 Reply

Don't know for sure, but it seems more accurate. Only been using it for 5 minutes…

4. Roy
    May 22, 20:49 Reply

What about Samsung galaxy I7500?

5. James
    May 22, 21:05 Reply

Does it come with Flash 10.1? Anyone do a battery life test if it does?

• AndyH_STi
      May 23, 23:46 Reply

No, you need to download the Flash beta from the Market.

6. Jsmith432
    May 22, 21:14 Reply

It is not working on unlocked or AT&T phones. It gives me error number 7. Before you say, I never rooted my phone. Is there another file to get this?

7. Jsmith432
    May 22, 21:15 Reply

More Info on what happens:
    Verifying current system…
    assert failed
    E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

• AndroidFan
        May 22, 21:45 Reply

It doesn't work on unlocked ATT phone for me. I get the same error. Let me know if you were able to get it working

• georgem33
      May 25, 18:55 Reply

i get the same thing and my build # is ere27 file seems to be corupted.

• godnothing
      May 25, 20:02 Reply

i get the same thing and im on ERE27 which i thought was supposed to work. oh well guess ill have to wait for the ota update :-( it seems like doing it manually is a little shady i found multiple files at different sites with different sizes….. not to sure they are safe.

8. Chris
    May 22, 21:37 Reply

Got an error message saying "E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)" and another one below that saying "E:signature verification failed" "Installation aborted"

any help?

• AndroidFan
      May 22, 21:50 Reply

Were you able to get it working? By the way who is your carrier (AT&T/ T Mobile)?

• Chris
        May 22, 22:04 Reply

Not working yet. I tried re-downloading and renaming 3 times but get the same result. Mine is a T-Mobile stock phone ordered from Google. Good news is that the phone shows no ill effects from the attempts :-)

• jstark
      May 23, 12:04 Reply

try saving the file as just "update" with out the quotes. if you try to save the file as "update.zip" you will get that error message if you are using a windows PC.

• daveloft
      May 23, 16:24 Reply

9. CGM
    May 22, 22:54 Reply

Just updated. So far none of my widgets are loading (stock news, beautiful home, astrid, etc.). Says "Loading Home Widget, Updating Data, Connecting" where all the widgets should be. Anyone else seeing this??

• CGM
      May 22, 22:59 Reply

Rebooted and all loaded. Now to play…

10. Chris
    May 22, 23:02 Reply

Yay! Everything working on 2.2 including Flash 10.1 (after I downloaded it from the market). Pretty fast.

11. crumpledroom
    May 22, 19:02 Reply

just installed froyo about an hour and a half ago on my ATT version nexus one. I was running custom recovery and EvilD:'s nxsone desire rom. Installed paul at modacos rooted froyo and everything is fantastic. The status 7 error is because you don't have the stock recovery anymore, just go DL the custom froyo from modaco. Flash is brilliant. I can watch all the movie goodness on sites like justin.tv and movies-links.tv. Its exactly what i've been looking for since I got a smartphone. Now just waiting for the "install from PC on android market" function and some of the other OTA sync goodness mentioned at the IO.

I'm glad I had the extra 30 minutes of patience to just wait for Paul to come out with the rooted custom froyo rom. Feel sorry for all the kids who reinstalled the stock recovery and now are trying to re-root after getting froyo on there lol.

the biggest surprise was that all my apps were already ported to froyo somehow. That was nice; but the data was missing so I had to reinput logins and things like that. Gonna test gps later tonight. I'm getting 34 megaflops on linpack and that was with the screenshot app running in the background, as well as sync. So, I maxed at about 38.5 megaflops right now. Soon we'll have custom kernels with overclocks and gonna have 100 megaflops burning up the smartphone stream.

BTW — love the podcast guys, i listen to it on podkast all the time. Maybe one day i'll catch ya live and call in. FYI, check your compressor settings on your mic or podkast software. I think you have it set too tight.

"oh it feels good to have a nexus!!!"

• @scottyabrown
      May 23, 02:09 Reply

Thank you for the positive feedback about the podcast, I appreciate it.

12. @illuminantceo
    May 22, 23:33 Reply

Hmm, weird error on attempting to download the bit.ly (stock standard Nexus One / T-Mobile edition / currently on 3G via Three, Hong Kong):

Download history
    <Unknown
    android.clients.google.com
    Cannot download. the content is not supported on this phone.

• savage7
      May 23, 10:16 Reply

Standard browse don't you download zip files. Open it with dolphin or better download it with you pc and connect via usb cable.

13. Dan
    May 23, 00:25 Reply

Oh hey, I just installed Flash 10.1 and realized there is a flash ad on this page.

2.2 is fast and slick. I can't wait to get off work so I can play with it some more!

14. hugo
    May 23, 00:28 Reply

Does it work on the htc desire?

15. fabian
    May 23, 01:10 Reply

mine isnt working. it aborts the installation and then nothing happens. tried it couple times.

16. mike
    May 23, 01:42 Reply

for those of you having problems just rename the file update without the .zip after it. it wasnt installing for me at first the i renamed it and now its working :)

• daveloft
      May 23, 16:25 Reply

That didn't work for me. It doesn’t work on EPE54B models running version 2.1-update1. So anyone who bought their phone in the last month or so. THIS UPDATE WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU. You will get the Status 7 error.

17. @scottyabrown
    May 23, 02:08 Reply

Awesome update, without a doubt. The best Android update so far, in my opinion.

18. Ryan
    May 23, 03:08 Reply

Im sorely missing the updated music app with streaming. Thought that was supposed to be in Froyo…

19. Luis
    May 23, 03:52 Reply

thanks @ mike… that helped with my problem rename it update not update.zip

20. The CyberDonz
    May 23, 04:02 Reply

it works GREEEEEEEAT!! the Message app got restyled a little. The Contact app has a bunch of new options like "order by last name" which was missing before. Also the Gallery app got a little update: like the iPad, now one can look into an album by pinching on it… the big bummer: the music section was not updated at all…

21. mcmanapang
    May 23, 00:10 Reply

Seems to be working fine… but I can’t seem to figure out how to use the app2sd function. I go to “Applications” then “Manage Applications” and then click on any app. I see the “Move to SD Card” icon, but I can’t press it.

Any ideas?

• bpotts
      May 23, 04:26 Reply

I wondered this too…the app has to be compiled using the 2.2 SDK….furthermore, I think the developer has to enable the option before compiling it…

22. @jazz13_au
    May 23, 04:13 Reply

Brilliant! This is a great day! I've been waiting for a release like this since first hearing about Android.

23. mauriceh
    May 23, 06:07 Reply

I followed this to the letter, and had NO problems at all.
    And I just installed Flash 10.1 beta and it seems A-OK!
    AND, I can now set up my phone tethered by USB at the same time as I turn it on as a WIFI AP.
    Oh HELL Yeah!

24. JCS
    May 23, 06:29 Reply

Now this is whats up baby!! I'm in O-town magic just lost to the celtics but this make's my grief a lot better!! ; -)

25. Rene
    May 23, 07:26 Reply

@mcmanapang Because older Apps now all are build assuming they are installed internally, so the option to move them isn't valid. Devs need to test and flag their App as "safe-to-move-to-sd" before it to function. For instance check out the last Android guys app update, it states something about enabling the app2sd feature in the app-version.

• mcmanapang
      May 23, 03:47 Reply

Thanks! Can’t wait for the app updates to enable this!

26. olivergassner
    May 23, 09:15 Reply

Worksd, U might wanna add that it is necessary to copy the file from the downloads directory to the /sdcard/ directory. Otherwise your guiode is follproof (one peron experienced 'eternal booting')

• AndyH_STi
      May 23, 14:56 Reply

No sign of it here on my N1 with 2.2. I don't think Google has given us that ability with Froyo.

27. Carey
    May 23, 16:21 Reply

After my upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 on my non-rooted Nexus One, my phone and contacts screen were completely blank accept for the top status bar. The phone could receive calls, but I could not make any. I deleted the contacts data from the Settings > Application > All list and both apps starting working. I suspect that this was due to the fact that I import my contacts using the vCards Import feature instead of using the default Gmail contact list sync. I can't think why else this would happen to me only, as I'm sure I'm somewhat unique in not using the Gmail contacts list. After I deleted my contacts both the phone and contacts apps displayed and worked fine.

I just wanted to post this in case anyone else has a similar problem after a manual upgrade to 2.2.

28. therausch09
    May 23, 16:27 Reply

I'm having the same "signature verification" issue a lot of people are reporting. I'm using a MAc, so I named the file update.zip and I carefully went through the reboot instructions. I keep getting the message. I'm not rooted and have the correct build number. Any advice?

• therausch09
      May 23, 16:31 Reply

I hate it when you fix a problem 3 seconds after you post about it. Sorry guys, I'm an idiot…

29. William(Chicago)
    May 23, 16:29 Reply

Updated it last night and it is awesome!!! Runs ALOT faster and a few tweeks to some standard programs, just a face lift mostly. My task manager before updating said I always had 90mb of memory avaliable when I closed most apps…. now it has well over 250mb of free memory with most app open!!!! LOVE IT!!! iPHONE KILLER!!!!!

30. Mannie
    May 23, 15:09 Reply

Okay so I am gett the…

More Info on what happens:
    Verifying current system…
    assert failed
    E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

Now I have an unlocked AT&T version that hasn’t been rooted. I changed the name of the file on a Mac and I have tried “update.zip” and “update”. I am not sure what to do so any help would be awesome.

31. Mattusaf
    May 23, 20:19 Reply

The link is no good. Is anyone else having the same issue?

32. rollyp80
    May 24, 00:24 Reply

yeah….the link is not working….help?

33. Vic
    May 24, 02:59 Reply

Any chance on getting the link to work?

34. lolobabes
    May 24, 03:14 Reply

am from the Philippines i downloaded last night on my stock N1 and am loving it… but i cant figure out how to move applications to the sd card the move on sd card button cant be pressed, anyone can help? * if you download on windows OS, rename the file just “update”. * after the the exclamation mark with the android just press the “Power” and “Volume Up” buttons( i counted 3 seconds before releasing, be patient here)i hope it deosnt have any other effect because am not from the US… ty

some applications suddenly were not working well like handcent and HTC_IME is that normal? ty

35. Donny
    May 24, 03:56 Reply

I also have the problem with the installation.
    — Install from sdcard…
    Finding update package …
    Opening update package …
    Verifying update package …
    E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
    E: signature verification failed
    Installation aboirted.

I have tried name the file with .zip and without .zip and it still doesn't work.
    Build is ERE27
    Is there a problem with this build?

• Donny
      May 24, 04:44 Reply

I manage to find another link for the download 44M compare to 84M file. Seems like not all the file are universal usable.

36. Quy
    May 24, 05:48 Reply

Updated to Froyo on Saturday morning and have been playing with it since. I've noticed that switching home screens is much smoother. I love the addition of the phone and internet browser button side by side with the application home button. All my apps work great.

Prior to Froyo, I had bluetooth issues (http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?fid=4237c6559482904a000486615eb70fdd&hl=en) with my WEP870 device. Froyo seemed to resolve the issue.

The stock keyboard seems to be much more responsive and accurate. Prior to installing Froyo, I had minor touchscreen issues probably ever 2 days. I still do get those issues, but I just hit the lock button and unlock the phone to resolve the issue.

The browser is blazing fast. Flash didn't come preinstalled with Froyo. I had to download it from the app market. Like one of the prior commentators said, it's nice having the ability to watch shows from sites with *.tv. Can't watch hulu though due to licensing issues which is unfortunate. I do notice that it takes a while to render pictures properly on some websites. For example, if you go to the New York Times and zoom into the top left hand corner, scroll down, and then scroll back up. You'll notice that the picture in the upper left hand corner is a bit pixelated and will take around 3-5 seconds to become more crisp.

I love 2.2 overall; the N1 now is truly polished.

37. micro sd card
    May 24, 10:36 Reply

F0r any0ne who does this there is a minor typo, on step 6 hit the power and volume up buttons not the power and home.

38. Jon
    May 24, 12:48 Reply

Looks like the link has been turned into a 404 now. Boo on me for not checking Android guys this weekend.

39. Julius
    May 25, 00:01 Reply

Anyone with news on why the link is down?

40. Bob
    May 25, 10:35 Reply

update doesnt work on at&t unlocked, un-rooted nexus one anyways.

• Mannie
      May 25, 07:49 Reply

Bob, I think you are correct. My N1 is an AT&T unlocked and I am hosed. I will just have to develop some patience and wait.

41. greg
    May 25, 11:43 Reply

Google link is down. Any ideas where else we can get it?

• Vic
      May 26, 01:18 Reply

Greg, this is where I got the link for the 44MB file download that worked for me.
      I have the T-Mobile GoNexOne and it worked for me except for a buggy Youtube Widget.
      See my earlier post..

Here is the Download page from Androidspin: http://androidspin.com/2010/05/22/nexus-one-andro

42. naim
    May 25, 16:22 Reply

tbe firmware link is broken, its not found. how do i get it to work?

43. Vic
    May 26, 01:10 Reply

So I’m hearing that the Froyo floating around on the web might not be the official release.

I found two different versions, one was 81MB and the other was 44MB.

I tried the 81MB file first and it failed but the 44 MB file installed nicely.

Anyone have an idea as to whats going on?

Oh and the 81MB file said something about having the FM Tuner with the update which is why I tried that one first but since it failed I went with the second one but there was no FM Tuner and the only thing that seems to be buggy about it is the Youtube Widget isnt working properly. It constantly says “Loading” on the widget and tapping the widget does nothing except for the search function for youtube

44. Borg
    May 26, 16:44 Reply

Android 2.2 is working fine for me so far, no issues. But then i was on stock firmware (not rooted). So far i'm impressed with what i see, i didn't think the Flash demo, where the adobe guy opened ecodazoo.com would be as good in real usage, so i tried it out myself hehe,heres the result, and i'm impressed :) http://www.theborgcollectives.com/2010/05/flash-o

45. Frank Herrera
    May 27, 20:06 Reply

This will not work on an AT&T/Rogers N1. The firmware is only for the T-Mobile version of the N1. If you look at the name of the firmware zip file you will see: FRF50-from-ERE27. FRF500 is the firmware build number for 2.2, and ERE27 is 2.1 firmware build number for the T-Mobile version of the N1. The build number for the AT&T/Rogers N1 is EPE54B.

46. Carly13
    February 14, 17:12 Reply

I think the problem may be in the android application development. The enterprise requires so many hands in the pie that it is hard to track exactly where our money is going. Not to mention the time it takes to get upgrades. I understand that they would rather take the time to put out a decent upgrade rather than put out buggy stuff, but just be honest with us about when we can expect them instead of stringing it along.
    Carly S.

47. Nick
    February 25, 18:00 Reply

It won’t work on Rogers because Rogers is horrible. I recently moved out of their service area (thank god) and am now exclusively AT&T and I couldn’t be happier. Find the precious Froyo, haha!

Nick | http://www.neverfailgroup.com

48. Magid Opyh
    August 21, 10:56 Reply

I have the problem with the installation. — Install from sdcard… Finding update package … Opening update package … Verifying update package … E:faild to verify whole-file signature
    E: signature verification failed Installation aborted.

49. Android App Development
    April 09, 06:05 Reply

I had to download it from the app market. Like one of the prior commentators said, it’s nice having the ability to watch shows from sites with *.tv. Can’t watch hulu though due to licensing issues which is unfortunate. I do notice that it takes a while to render pictures properly on some websites. For example, if you go to the New York Times and zoom into the top left hand corner, scroll down, and then scroll back up.

50. Jezzy
    May 29, 00:42 Reply

there's a way to do it, but I haven't found yet. Probably a solution involving a quick command in terminal emulator

-Jezzy

51. stefan
    June 03, 15:09 Reply

i have one App on my Nexus1 – the AK Notepad – which allows me to transfer it to the SD card. all the rest of my apps, as all the rest of you have mentioned, are not able to be transferred. my initial thought — Apps unable to be Xferred to SD were those which needed network contact to function/sync/interact.