Latest Android Fragmentation Report Released

The Android Developer site today has released an updated fragmentation report, which they are calling a “platform report”.  As you can see pictured to the left, the pie chart for this current report has 2.1 being the dominant Android flavor that people are running.  1.5 and 1.6 make up the majority of the other versions that are accessing the Market in the last 14 days.

While these stats are certainly encouraging, the older versions of Android are still dominating the Android eco-spher.  Let’s hope this changes with all the new handsets dropping this summer.

So folks, what do you think? Do you still have 1.5 or 1.6? Do you have 2.1 or maybe even 2.2?  Let us know in the comments!

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4626 posts

XBOX Live mobile gaming to come to Android?

Who wouldn’t love some more mobile gaming options on Android? Well, if we’re to believe what we see (and we do) over at Microsoft Careers, we may be looking at

ZTE to launch a 5-inch low end phablet?

ZTE is working on a bunch of phones nowadays, and we showed you ZTE Nubia Z5, which will be ZTE’s next flagship device. They are also planning to launch a

You Tell Us: What’s Your Thought on Carrier Specific Android Market Results?

It’s time for this weekend’s reader feedback and it’s a pretty hot topic. What’s your thought getting different Android Market results based on your carrier?

1. @KwietStorm13
    June 02, 01:20 Reply

I'm running 2.2, though I agree these numbers are encouraging and a significant change since the last update I saw.

2. Kathie
    June 02, 01:42 Reply

I'm running 2..1 on my Sprint Hero, upgraded a couple weeks ago. I like some of the changes, but a couple changes are worse (dialing a phone takes WAY too long).

3. calum
    June 02, 01:49 Reply

Shame that HTC can't be bothered to do anything for all the Hero GSM users stuck on 1.5. I won't buy another HTC phone.

4. Miff
    June 02, 01:54 Reply

1.6 – Still on my G1 and haven't tried to sit down and figure out rooting yet. >_<

5. Janne
    June 02, 02:02 Reply

What freaking fragmentation? Write for 1.5/1.6 and your app will work on any Android device. Unless you absolutely, positively need some 2.x feature for your app to work there's little point in aiming for that API level.

• androidfan
      June 02, 02:13 Reply

If your a big studio making lets say a game, that's easier said than done. If you wan't your game to be very high end, it's very hard of not impossible to get one binary to run on 1.5+ and 2.0+

• Janne
        June 02, 02:40 Reply

But that's really no different from, say, requiring a certain API level or performance for your 3D graphics hardware in PC gaming. Game companies, specifically, have always faced this dilemma when they aim to push the envelope: go for the latest and greatest and you'll restrict your customer base; aim for wide distribution and some people will find your effort looking dated.

That problem is not specific to Android – and not specific to the OS either; if you're pushing things, you are probably more restricted by the various levels of hardware performance than OS versions. And don't forget that the great variation in hardware is one of the great assets of the Android ecosystem. You want a full qwerty keyboard? You want no hardware keys at all? Huge, clear screen? Tiny and pocketable? Great camera? No camera? One size does not fit all, and the fact that we as customers get to choose is great.

And the problem is rare, don't forget. Very, very few applications need to push the envelope in any way, and that includes most games. For every ID Studios burning up your 3D card you have hundreds or thousands of game creators that need little more than a way to draw colorful shapes and play sounds. And if you are a big studio, pushing the envelope, then you already have the resources and know-how to deal with it from other platforms.

• Scott
          June 03, 01:46 Reply

Well said Janne! It drives me absolutely mad that multiple versions of the Android OS is considered "fragmented".

6. @ppatron
    June 02, 03:53 Reply

Running Android 2.2 (Froyo) on T-Mobile Nexus One. What in the world is still running Android 1.1? Are those original G1 holdouts?

• Drew
      June 02, 04:14 Reply

They are non-rooted Rogers Dreams (G1s) I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Rogers basically offered two upgrade options to G1 users: stick with 1.1 stock or upgrade to Android 1.5 with Sense UI.

I suppose it could also include some flukes. Say, for example, you just buy a G1 or you have to re-flash your phone to remove root. Sometimes it can take a few days for the 1.6 update to push to your phone.

• Janne
      June 02, 04:51 Reply

How about people who bought a 1.1 handset, is happy with it as a phone and has no particular interest in – or knowledge about – operating systems, version numbering or API levels. They'll upgrade at some point when the current handset breaks and they buy a new one.

Most people really don't care about this kind of thing; those of us who do are a fairly peculiar minority.

7. jolt2000
    June 02, 01:26 Reply

I’m running android 2.1 on my HTC Magic 32A, I just recently updated to CyanogenMod 5.0.7.

If it wasn’t for CyanogenMod I’d still be stuck on android 1.5.

CyanogenMod rocks!!!

8. @jazz13_au
    June 02, 05:57 Reply

I'm running 2.2 on my Nexus One. I'm curious though why 2.2 is not show on that graph. Surely there are more people using it than are using 1.1

• revray35
      June 02, 20:25 Reply

Maybe, and this is a shot in the dark, it was not on the graph because they have not officially dropped Froyo as of yet? Don't know. There has to be a large number of people who have updated to that, I agree.

9. newspeak
    June 02, 03:26 Reply

Running eclair on my g1….I worry about the sprint choice to do over the wire updates having an impact on the number of phones still running cupcake…seems like the graph will be less usefull for telling what the real fragmentaion picture is

10. @appel_
    June 02, 08:20 Reply

Vanilla 2.1 on my HTC Hero. Works great. Much faster, performance does not degrade over time, better usability and a lot more stable compared to the original 1.5 rom with sense.

11. Drumm
    June 02, 11:13 Reply

Stuck on 1.5 Using a Motorola Dext/Cliq in UK. If only my G1 hadn't broke..

12. Nathan
    June 02, 14:23 Reply

This thread emphasizes and important lesson / point: if you're going to get an Android phone, don't buy a cheap one… spring the extra few bucks for the higher end ones that get updated more often.

13. Colin B
    June 02, 15:53 Reply

Still on 1.5 waiting for the HTC Hero upgrade in the UK :(

14. Vera Funk
    June 15, 16:34 Reply

Wow I am really the only comment to your awesome read?!?