Froyo on Nexus One: Google “Striving Hard to OTA it ASAP”

Google announced Android 2.2 “Froyo” about three weeks ago and ever since then, Nexus One owners have been begging for the delicious update.  Assuming there are still some of you out there who haven’t gone and installed it manually, the over-the-air update is coming you way.  But how soon?  And what’s the deal with the delay?  Google employee “passion-ate” tells us today.

Apologies for keeping everybody waiting. We are not intentionally holding back on Froyo, just improving the overall experience and quality.I don’t have an exact date to share yet, but we are striving hard to OTA it ASAP. Stay tuned! | source

As soon as possible.  Not the clearest of answers, but it’s still nice to hear from the ivory tower. Weigh in with your guesses below as to when you think we’ll really see it.

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6602 posts

Droid Bionic to Run $299 When it Arrives September 8

The minimum advertised pricing for the Droid Bionic has arrived online and it doesn’t come as much of a surprise.  According to information passed to AndroidCentral, the 4G Motorola handset

Finally, Google is rolling out Android 5.1.1 to the Nexus 9

One of the biggest benefits of owning a pure stock Android device is you will be able to run the latest version of “pure” Android before those other customized software

Cricket Huawei Mercury Ice launching on September 5th

US super-regional carrier Cricket Wireless is planning to launch the Huawei Mercury Ice on September 5 through RadioShack. Actually, this device is a redesigned version of the Huawei Mercury, but

1. Kenji O.
    June 09, 15:43 Reply

Hmm, so N1 will be the first to get it? When will it be OTA'd to other devices?

2. Adam Saunders
    June 09, 15:51 Reply

Glad I have a N1.. though I'm still considering waiting for the Cyanogen v6 version for root..plus he'll/they'll probably remove the restriction on the Apps2SD requiring developer permissions.. 😀

• CaseyB
      June 09, 16:05 Reply

What do you mean "requiring developer permissions?" Apps2SD is built into Froyo.

• Dark X Dragon
        June 09, 16:13 Reply

The official Apps2SD on Froyo requires the app developers to give it permission in the app.
        By default apps do not have permission to move onto the sdcard as far as I hear.

• anakin78z
          June 09, 17:32 Reply

Yep, that's true, and even though I've emailed about half the developers I have apps from, only two have enabled it so far, meaning I'm still getting 'low phone storage' notifications every day (naturally the two apps that are now on my sd card were very small to begin with). There also seems to be a bit of a bug where the apps which are installed on the sd card every now and then vanish from the app drawer…. I guess there's a reason they haven't released FroYo yet :).

3. Enndr
    June 09, 12:26 Reply

Going off this I’ll place my bet that we’ll see 2.2 in early July.

4. Shawn
    June 09, 16:51 Reply

Going off of past updates, I'll guess maybe September

• shaun
      June 12, 17:06 Reply

I talked to Google 2 weeks ago and they said a couple more weeks and it would be rolling out in waves.

5. Bryan
    June 09, 17:32 Reply

This is one of the frustrating things in moving from my iPhone to my Nexus One. Google announced 2.2 at there developer conference…with NO indication of when it would drop. But I know exactly what day the iPhone software will drop. Ugh.

Dates force developers. Give us a date Google.

• G in NC
      June 09, 20:43 Reply

I'm with you. I'm tired of waiting. Maybe us N1 owners should give Google until the 24th/25the of June (release of the iPhone 4) to get us 2.2 or we're done. This waiting sucks. If it wasn't close to being ready, then they shouldn't have announced it.

• anakin78z
        June 09, 21:32 Reply

Lol… and what if the date comes and goes? What then?

6. anakin78z
    June 09, 19:30 Reply

I personally don't mind that they're putting some polish on it before releasing it into the wild. I'm absolutely loving the 2.2 build I have installed right now, but there are a few things that do need to be worked out still. Not really things that hardcore users will make too much fuss about, but I think the general consumer will, and it would result in bad pr for Android.
    It also gives developers a chance to get their apps up to speed to get the most out of 2.2.

7. Bogart
    June 09, 22:39 Reply

I believe they're preparing to update first the unsold nexus one in preparation for some date (like june 19th) to release the N1 to retail stores. I may be wrong but definitely hope I'm right so I can get it by then, maybe in a discounted price and lower plans.

8. Dave
    June 10, 01:12 Reply

I was told at a T-Mobile store today the N1 would be available on the 19th at a discounted price. He hedged a bit by saying "I hope we get some here." I guess we'll know in 10 days!

9. Tim
    June 10, 06:39 Reply

People who whine about having to wait for 2.2 are like spoiled children. Like knowing there is a jar of cookies on top of the fridge and they complain about not getting it. If they didn't even know about the cookies, then there would be no problem.

Just grow up people, and appreciate that Google is doing good things here.

• @ButcherChop
      June 12, 23:20 Reply

i completely agree. When i read complainer posts, I imagine some kid in his room that yells at his mom from his room cursing her out. Just silly

10. Eduardo
    June 10, 12:08 Reply

Maybe the OTA will allow 720p video capture on the N1? On xda they have managed to put an N1 recording 720p videos.

Kinda sucks that the N1 has lots of hardware features that simply aren't enabled by default.

11. shaun
    June 12, 17:19 Reply

Google said a couple of weeks for nexus when i talked to them two weeks ago. according to them it should be rolling out in waves very soon.

12. man
    June 12, 18:22 Reply

so……cheap…!! cheater!!

13. mike
    June 15, 22:54 Reply

Obviously we should all go out and spent 5 million pounds on new iPhones lol. People are silly, I'm excited for froyo, not frustrated :). Everything in its own time. I'd rather get a top notch update than something quickly spewed out to please the press and impatient people. Its a shame that most modern game developers have that approach I find. Remember before good internet and you bought a game and it was actually cut, cleaned, perfected and finished?! Little bit off topic I know, but too many companies use updates as an excuse to put something on the market that's unfinished. Anyway, can't wait :p.

14. lolobabes
    June 17, 09:28 Reply

this is long overdue! they said couple of weeks not over a month! am a bit disappointed, ahuhuhuhu

15. John
    June 18, 23:04 Reply

Bugs bugs bug.
    Google is can’t get the bugs out.
    Too busy playing games in their rec room & playground, they don’t actually do much work.
    And what work they do is very poor quality.
    So, the answer is: NEVER – there will NEVER be a Android 2.2 that works reasonably well.

Crash.
    Crash.
    Crash.

16. Norma Belvins
    February 01, 14:12 Reply

Every single employee at my Indianapolis roofing company carries one of these phones because I am such an advocate of its functionality. I depend on it’s reliability almost daily. Android 2.2 is the first version of Android that feels totally complete—it performs like it should and it has most of the features it should. It’s not quite at the point my mother could use it without a precarious learning curve, but you can see how it’s going to get better. It’s safe to say that with Froyo, Android has become something that most people really can use—and love.