Sony to Take On the iPad with Android-Powered Tablet

Sony continues to show Android and Google a lot of love with a comment made in an interview from Chief Financial Officer Nobuyuki Oneda.  Looking at the platform to help compete in another area, Oneda said the company “has to develop a device similar to Apple’s iPad tablet computer, because it is a different product category than the company’s existing electronic-book reader.”

Over at 9to5mac.com, it is being reported that Sony is making a deal with Samsung to develop a new line of LCD screens that could be used both in tablets as well as a new line of flat screen televisions.  We already know that Sony is committed to creating Google TV powered TV Sets, after the big I/O announcement last month.  It seems that Sony has decided that they can take on Apple for real if they jump on the Google bandwagon, and it looks like they are going to be a passenger on said wagon for some time.

The question remains if Sony can create an Android powered tablet device compelling enough to be a competitor for the iPad, while remaining inside a price point will attract consumers to it as an alternative to the iPad.  Stay tuned for more info as it comes out about this Sony tablet.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

REMINDER: Amazon’s Droid Madness sale ends soon

Just a quick reminder to let you all know that Amazon’s Droid Madness sale has less than a week left.  If you’re wanting to add a line of service to

Battle of the Network Stars

When purchasing a new phone many of us are being faced with not only a question of a handset but a prospective betrothed wireless carrier for at least a two

Firefox 29 beta allows to install web apps as native Android apps

Mozilla Firefox is one of the famous and most used browsers in the world, and just like Google Chrome, Firefox is also available on Android as well. One of the

1. meanmcclean
    June 09, 18:21 Reply

um….. without even looking at the specs of this thing, i’ll pass. It is way to big of a device take on the IPad?? I’m no Apple fan boy but this thing has no kind of sex appeal what-so-ever. We like big screen’s not big bulky devices. How would you even carry this thing around? WTF.

2. PulSamsara
    June 10, 05:35 Reply

" I'm no Apple fan boy but this thing has no kind of sex appeal what-so-ever."

Well then – I for one will certainly not be having sex with it. – No sir-E !

3. Butterbeer
    June 10, 12:17 Reply

Unfortunately, looks like they're going in the wrong direction with this one.

4. oky
    July 17, 11:49 Reply

i think every time technology will change…
    thanks to android

5. joe
    August 08, 05:39 Reply

i like everything abth sony. N android syst. But thr’s one. How to get 1 phone with free.. Thx vry much.. Much much n much..

6. kenny leslert
    January 10, 06:11 Reply

i WILL buy this sony ipad when it is released….I wiLL!!!!I promise….

7. georgie
    January 22, 19:18 Reply

I am looking at buying Sony’s full frame digital camera, I hope that the tablet will hava an input port for it’s digital cameras.

8. RobM
    February 27, 06:04 Reply

I think Sony need to drop the Vaio brand. This was always a bit of a flop in my book. Sony needs some rebranding i think.

• audia817
      March 15, 14:48 Reply

ummm what? vaio is the 3rd largest computer manufacturer in the world…

9. sanjeev
    April 06, 15:02 Reply

Sony to bring Tablet! but when ?? Is really Sony working on Android powered Tablet..??

10. Rstisme
    April 26, 11:48 Reply

The problem with all these companies (Sony, Moto, whoever…) trying to catch up with the iPad is that they are trying to catch a standard that apple has has already defined. By the time they do catch up with the product that’s already out, Bam!! Apple releases the next iPad aka the new standard to catch. These guys are always going to be a lap behind. Take for instance the xoom, offers all these “improvements” the iPad don’t, yet after you purchase this item you realize it comes with none of the supposed improvements. Everything is “upgradeable” which really means, when they can figure out how to add these things without extra : cost, battery use, space etc. then they will upgrade it. By the time you actually get these updates available the next iPad will be out and these “improvements” will be obsolete. Therefor I don’t understand why so many people are willing to purchase or wait to purchase a device that will always be second best to the ipad and cost just as much or even more. Why do so many people want an iPad? I promise you its not a fad, it’s because apple has been the pioneer to the touch screen/tablet for many years now and had it perfected before they even released the first iPad. If you don’t believe this go purchase an apple iPod touch 4g. This device and it’s capabilities are simply unreal. Everything from the retina display to the fact that it comes capable for even the blind to be able to use it, and that’s all standard! What makes the iPad so astounding began many years back, trial, error and now perfection. Thus the reason for such a huge gap between apple and its competitors. Moral for this story, just go buy an iPad already and see the difference for yourself.

• Karate-joe
      September 03, 06:11 Reply

The I Pad is a great product and its true that the android devices had to play catch up for a while especially because apple had such a good touch interface with the pinch to soom and the other features. But now android has caught up and left the I Pad in the dust!! Dont get me wrong the I Pad still has a lot of great features and excellent display and one of the best interfaces, after all they pioneered it, but they are very handicapped by their operating system, as to where android os, the sky is the limit!

11. The content management system could be the answer for proper content