Rumor: Google Voice via Gmail Being Tested

It’s being rumored that Google is testing their Google Voice services and features through integration with Gmail.  Rather than relying on a phone to make calls, users would see a pop-up window with a dialpad, contacts, and a credit balance.  If true, this would be a major step forward to getting Google Voice over IP, and possibly some Android integration down the road. TechCrunch reported back in April that Google was testing a desktop application that allowed for making and receiving calls.  Could this be the same thing?

One thing is for certain, something is going on with Google Voice and Gmail.  How do I know?  Try this – Try to create a label in Gmail called “voicemail”.

“Sorry, you can’t create a label named “voicemail” (it’s a reserved system label). Please try another name:”

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6577 posts

Podcast 001 – Interview with PhoneFusion’s Michael Manna

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of spending about a half hour with Michael Manna, the Chief Tech Evangelist of PhoneFusion.  We discussed their Visual Voicemail application which saw its release

Intel partners with LG, Intel-powered phones coming in March

Intel is finally going to start mass producing chips for the mobile phone market. The chips are set to be out in some LG phones in March of 2012 at

34 Weeks of OHA #31

I’m kinda breaking the rules this week by presenting two OHA members in one profile. By titling this colomn 34 Weeks of OHA, I’m implying that there will be 34

1. @EddieKrueger
    June 10, 15:42 Reply

This has been the case since GVoice was doing limited updates. You could never create a label entitled Voicemail – Im sure SMS, Text, Placed, Received wouldnt work either.

2. rcc
    June 10, 15:43 Reply

I hope this pans out. I use GV for international calls now, since they have the best rates I could find. However, it would seem to me that bringing this to Android would place Google in conflict with the phone carriers. Why would people use the native phone phone International LD service if someone could just dial using GV?

3. Strodtbeck
    June 10, 15:45 Reply

Google has had Gizmo5 for a while now. . . I wish they would stop sitting on it and let users tie it tie it with gVoice especially on an Android handset–VOIP over WiFi tied into your gVoice. . . nice!

4. Stephen
    June 10, 16:28 Reply

Yah that Voicemail label has been reserved for at least a couple weeks now. The phone system we have at work can email our voicemails and I set up a label in Google Apps to filter and auto label the voicemails a few weeks back and I could not since it was a reserved.

5. Frank Pilone
    June 10, 16:53 Reply

Wouldn't it just make more sense for Google Voice to just use SIP? I can understand Google wanting to tie Google Voice with Gmail, but there are still people who don't want to sit in front of a PC to make a phone call. If they just used SIP, it would open up a new set of possibilities. And ever since they bought Gizmo, they had SIP. And instead of using the wanna be 747 number Gizmo has which would never work on PSTN (since it is a valid area code), it would fix that issue. Gizmo users would just have their Google Voice number, and everything going over the Internet through Google Voice's servers. Problem solved, and current users – happy. Just my thoughts.

6. gad
    June 10, 17:18 Reply

When in God's earth will GV come to Europe.,or is it just an american thing?

7. Mark
    June 10, 19:04 Reply

they were definitely playing around with something. Yesterday in gmail the gchats looked completely different and had a call icon along with contact info icon etc… It's gone today though. I didn't really test it out because i didn't want to call anyone

8. ari-free
    June 11, 08:26 Reply

I would like to make calls from my pc but why a dialpad when it is faster to just type out the number? :)

9. David
    June 11, 08:37 Reply

The Application Framework module should be a part of the SIP server Platform, a software framework that offers the essential building blocks for the development of a wide variety of high performance SIP Call and IMS servers.

10. hendro
    June 12, 05:32 Reply

awaiting for another new techs..