Samsung Galaxy S Site Goes Live

As soon as your done reading through the latest in AndroidGuys news, head over to Samsung’s website for the Samsung Galaxy S.  The newly launched site gives users literally everything you need to know about the phone, right down to the user manual.  There’s a clever ‘Smart Life’ walkthrough which shows all the various ways in which one can take advantage of the handset.  Think of it as all the cool things your phone can do from the second you wake up to the time you climb into bed.

I’ve had the privilege of handling a Galaxy S twice now and I can say this – it’s gorgeous.  And light.  And thin. And one of the best Android phones I’ve played with yet.  I’ve yet to see the iPhone 4 in person so I cannot attest to the screen quality.  However, I feel very confident in saying the 4-inch Super AMOLED on the Galaxy S is the sharpest and brightest display to cross my path.  Throw in 1GHz processor, 16GB memory, and a 5 megapixel camera and you have yet another super phone to choose from.  June 29th can’t get here fast enough.

Oh the dilemma that we Android fans have to face.

Thanks for the tip Daragh!

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6577 posts

GreatCall dials up Android-powered Jitterbug Touch 2 for senior crowd

GreatCall announced on Wednesday that the Android-based Jitterbug Touch 2 is now available for the senior citizen crowd. Priced at only $139, the phone runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

CyanogenMod Statistics are Quite Impressive with Over 100K Registered Devices

Sunday, April 10th marked the day of the Stable release of CyanogenMod v7.0.0.  This release has made a huge  splash in the Android community already.  According to the CyanogenMod statistics

Skyfire 4.0 Launches With new Features

The popular browser app, Skyfire, has been updated to version 4.0, with “eight killer new features” as the press release puts it. Those features to be exact are:

1. @daraghfi
    June 10, 13:58 Reply

very welcome. check out all those cool apps!!! TV remote control, voice memo – what a complete experience!

2. Iya
    June 10, 14:08 Reply

Very nice phone. I wish it was directly from google so that it can get updates asap

3. ranggaw0636
    June 10, 14:12 Reply

And here i am, can only look at people who have android phone :(

4. @yungkim
    June 10, 14:19 Reply

Very nice! Andoroid phone cannot support the multi-lingual domain names. iPhone(Safari) supports them well. Please support them, then it will be the best.

5. newspeak
    June 10, 14:21 Reply

My biggest problem with this phone is samsung…knowing that they have a tendency to abandon phones as far as updates are concerned is troubling …I would root this of course but if the device drivers are not there at some point you hit a brick wall

6. robert
    June 10, 14:23 Reply

awesome phone! One question: why isn't there a flash for the camera?

7. mikeeeee
    June 10, 14:56 Reply

i love the way the iphone trolls come and play.

just give it one feature that the KATALYST had…………

UMA

if it has UMA i'm there.

if not, i'll keep waiting for the first company that provides a UMA ANDROID.

8. Kenji O.
    June 10, 15:00 Reply

Saw this thing at CTIA and was VERY impressed with the display. Amazing phone.

9. Danw
    June 10, 15:15 Reply

Display is awesome, size is perfect, low weight and thing. But there are just too many issues. Samsung slow to update, untested UI, no flash, no front camera, no hdmi, tmobile. I have the evo and have been tempted by this phone because the evo pushes the limit on thickness and weight to me. But I can't get over those issues

• Oli
      June 10, 16:56 Reply

There is a front camera.

• Toro
      June 10, 17:00 Reply

I'll be more than happy with my Galaxy S, and you will be more than happy with your Evo. In the end, +1 for Android.

• Danw
        June 10, 17:25 Reply

agreed, i'm happy to see android on some powerful phones. Can't have them all right. At least we have options. The poor apple folks out there have to accept whatever apple gives them. Looks like they will be stuck with a 3.5" screen for a long time

• revray35
      June 10, 23:37 Reply

With Samsung's track record, I can understand your point, but with Google's Andy Rubin appearing at the overseas Galaxy S launch, I think we are seeing Samsung Galaxy S becoming the flagship for Samsung. I think we will see updates quite regularly. Untested UI? Touch wiz is on MANY phones as Samsung is one of the largest manufacturers of phones. So touchwiz is on a great deal of handsets.

No flash? I can see the problem there, but it is not a deal breaker at all. No HDMI out? Yeah, not nearly what the EVO is, and a nice to have, but again, no deal breaker. T-mo aint bad either. Now, the EVO is AWESOME, what a handset! Either way it is a win win!!!!

10. ilham
    June 11, 07:55 Reply

wow its so cool, android base

11. Will
    June 21, 18:36 Reply

Sure, you’re excited about the Samsung Galaxy S.

Now.

Stop.

And imagine 6 months after you bought the Galaxy. You’re angry. You been lied to. The promised updates never come. There are real problems just using the phone. Forums like this fill with users like you, angry, dumping the phone, and comparing how little the can get for it on craigslist. $150? If you’re lucky.

You’ll never buy a Samsung product again. Samsung has hired a PR firm to try to hide the real problems you and thousands of others are having with the phone.

This is real.

Do some research on the Samsung Behold II. This is Samsung’s business model.
    1)Shiny new phone with promised updates
    2)Wait… there’s no money in supporting a phone, only in selling new ones.
    3)Refuse promised updates on under plainly false pretenses.
    4)Go to step 1.
    5)Profit.

Please, do not buy this or any other Samsung phone. HTC and Apple make nice phones that they support. Tell your friends.

I’m just a regular guy who fell for their lies. Don’t be me, 6 months from now, in a forum, writing this same message.

• Reedeez
      May 11, 17:26 Reply

Each to their own opinion I suppose…but what your saying might have been true in the past but Samsung IS supporting this through to 2.3 because I am getting it thru Orange within the next month. 3.1 is also going to be released and as the galaxy II is out now and comes with 2.3 it seems that Samsung will be pro-active in updating both models of these mobiles until the release of the Galaxy III sometime late this or early next year. It seems rather unjust and is a misleading statement that although you may have had a hard time before, to write them off as uncaring, they are fast becoming number 1 in the UK. They make the best bang for your buck televisions and likewise with mobile phones. Apple is a pure monopoly fitting to aspire to profiteering and consumer wolfbagging. They don’t like other 3rd party software developers because its taking kudos away from them. No Flash Player, acrobat to name just two but the list goes on and on. Sure they have decent stuff but it is all overpriced and overated in relation to everything else…just like Sony has been over the years. Heck samsung make most of apples components so how can they be accused of ripping off the unreleased iphone 5. Fact is samsung already has a better mobile in the pipeline that is the Galaxy III and Apple don’t like it and are trying to kick up a stink. The world would be a much safer, richer and honest place if all these multi-national corporations just got on with each other for once with, cross-network/platforms across the board.

Live long & party hard…Steven

12. nobody
    June 27, 00:08 Reply

When I saw that the Samsung Galaxy S did not include an HDMI port (as do all of the other new phones capable of recording HD video) I thought, No problem, they support DLNA over WiFi. But there is a problem because very few HDTVs or other devices support DLNA over WiFi. They support HDMI. No problem, I thought, someone must make a DLNA over WiFi to HDMI adapter box.

And someone does. Guess who?

That's right. Samsung! So now we know why they didn't include an HDMI port on the Galaxy S.

(see http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-wmg150-wifi-dlna

13. I just bought the Samsung Galaxy S recently, @ Will: Unluck to hear your phone didn’t get the updates it needed but this is one of the biggest selling phones at the moment and its just been released… I’ve heared the Galaxy S will be getting android 2.2 in september so I guess we’ll wait and see till then but samsung have confirmed it will be released. To everyone else who says the Galaxy isn’t good because it doesn’t have flash or HDMI out I think you’re being too picky personally. You can always extract your video to PC and watch your HDMI whatever and the flash isn’t something thats gonna make me say the phone is no good! for the price this is one of the best phones out there and I personally love it and have had none of the problems so many go on about, maybe i’m just lucky lol