Nexus One Froyo Update FRF72 Now Available for Download

Remember the rumors last week detailing a new FRF 72 Froyo update available on some Nexus One handsets?  Well,  it appears that the rumors were dead on and the build update is now available for download and manual install. You can get it here or here, but to install it you must be currently running the stock FRF 50 Froyo build already.  This means you have to have the stock recovery image installed.  If you have Cyanogen’s recovery image this will not work!

Overall, it appears the update is very small and fixes some wireless network and keyboard issues.  Details about what exactly this fixes are still forthcoming.  As soon as we find out more we will update this post!

Source: XDA-Developers and Android Central

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

U.S. Cellular says ‘me too’, calls up shared data plans

U.S. Cellular, not wanting to be left out of the party, has announced its own shared data options for consumers and small business users. Plans start at $40 per month

Nexus 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: The battle of the phablets

So Google have now announced their new flagship device, we can finally see their response to Apple’s iPhone 6 Plus. For most, the decision on which device to get is

Google I/O: Android Keynote Highlights

The big Google I/O event wrapped up earlier this week and left behind a wake of drooling Android geeks desperate for some Froyo goodness.  Froyo is the impending upgrade to

1. Canuck
    June 19, 14:16 Reply

The default browser in FRF50 wouldn't recognize presses on some types of image buttons (I couldn't log into my bank web site, for example). FRF72 fixes that bug.

• Isman
      June 21, 06:33 Reply

Like you, this FRF72 update has fixed the button issues I've been getting in Google Reader web app (which was working pretty well before Froyo.) Reader works perfect now without multiple button pressing.

Also, the Nexus One does seem speedier :)

2. @bmasonelder
    June 19, 14:55 Reply

Google Voice doesn't work. After the update, there was a generic icon because Voice couldn't be found. I went to the Market to redownload, but it says it's still installed on my phone. Also, it won't let me uninstall it to reinstall. The Market thinks it is on my phone and will open it from it's page on the market fine. However, when I look within Manage Apps to try and uninstall, it's nowhere to be found.

Please help.

• @jim67bob
        June 20, 01:50 Reply

How did you fix it? I have the same problem.

• Mike Koss
          June 21, 19:05 Reply

Me too. The app is still installed – but the desktop shortcut is broken. Just re-drag the application back to the desktop after deleting the old one.

• Anonymous Pete
            June 21, 22:40

Also, check Google Voice is still enabled for voicemail in Settings | Call Settings | Voicemail Service. Also be sure to use 10 or 11 digit dialing when testing if GV is still enabled. I was in panic mode for a while when my 7-digit dial was not going via GV…

3. lolobabes
    June 19, 15:17 Reply

I already have the initial Froyo on my N1, but I'd rather wait for the OTA update on this one…. ahihihihi

4. pax
    June 19, 16:06 Reply

For me it has fixed the SD mount issues. On FRF50, I could not mount and format the SD card, but now Very nice..it seems a bit snappier as well.

• Ken Pennett
      June 20, 18:38 Reply

Oh Sweet!…. I can't get Apps2SD either on FR50, Here I come FR72…

5. @sumyunguy
    June 19, 16:43 Reply

FYI this stopped my SWYPE install from working. Had to re-download and re-intall.

• mutiara
      June 26, 16:05 Reply

what happened? is there some compatibility issue?

6. MrChaz
    June 19, 17:08 Reply

Seems to be working fine here. Re-installed sky maps and Listen when it rebooted…

7. James
    June 19, 20:01 Reply

Downloaded and installed on my N1. My problem with FRF50 was that my phone would drop my home WiFi connection. Have to stop and restart WiFi on my phone several times a day. I really hope this update fixes this problem. With Google Voice after I installed this new update had to go back into settings and set up Google Voice as your voice mail option.

8. CyberDonz
    June 19, 20:17 Reply

I just installed the update. it took a good 10 minutes between installation and rebooting the phone (which was unusually long…)

I have not noticed any big changes… though now there is even more ram available (before it was running around 200 Mb of free ram (using Advance Task Killer), now I am around 250Mb)

Other users have reported even more internal storage available… which I also noticed.

I got no loss of signal (also reported by others… I am with Fido in Canada).

indeed Swype needs to be unistalled and reinstalled (no big deal…)

To sum up: so far so good!!

Keep the updates coming, Google!!

• Milos
      June 20, 02:01 Reply

Are you useing ithe ATT version with fido or t-mobile version?

9. jay
    June 19, 20:19 Reply

wassup with the official ota update.so disapointing google. few week? really? since may 22. smdh

10. Tomaco
    June 19, 21:52 Reply

I am confused can someone explain , at this time is officialy Froyo out? If not when will they release it? Is this update official?

• cheko
      June 20, 05:01 Reply

The officially unofficial Android 2.2 upgrade frf 72, i mean, if you want the official one, you have to wait untill google sent to your cell via OTA

11. James
    June 20, 01:57 Reply

My initial impression is that this version of FroYo is much more stable. I have been using it for several hours and I have not noticed any problems with the phone losing it's WiFi connection to my home connection. It just seems a little smoother and more stable than the previous version. Again, nothing new in terms of features but more stable. And for those of you that are having problems with Google Voice, just delete the icon on your home screen and put it back on there. The actual application has not been deleted. You just need to reinstall the icon.

• Ken Pennett
      June 20, 18:40 Reply

I agree… I thought the same with FRF0, so Smooth…
      I just hope the FRF72 gets my apps 2SD working….

• James
        June 21, 03:14 Reply

Ken, I was able to move 3 apps to my SD card. Rainy Days, The Cubed Music Player and Movies by Flixster. I don't know if this new to FRF72 but when I first downloaded FRF50 I tried to move my apps to the SD card but was unable to do so.

• Doc Savage
          June 22, 06:37 Reply

Just installed this, but I am a dev and noticed a few saying that Apps2SD isn’t working. Apps2SD requires that the individual applications state that they support it, which obviously requires them to be updated by their respective developers.

Unlike CyanogenMod, native Apps2SD doesn’t repartition the SD card, so when it’s mounted, you lose access to any apps on the SD card. Apps need to be able to handle this gracefully, which is why they *must* specifically say they will work from the SD card.

Hope that helps clear it up a bit.

12. mob
    June 20, 02:01 Reply

same problem with swype for me…update seems to manage battery better…doesnt suck as much power

13. James
    June 20, 02:18 Reply

Just noticed some changes. For the first time I was able to move some of the apps to the SD card. Movies, by Flickster, the Cubed Music Player by Filipe Abrantes, and Rainy Days by Hugo Visser. FroYo allowed me to move them to my SD card. Let me know if there's any other apps that can be moved.

14. Jack Jacob
    June 20, 04:14 Reply

Well I have not done anything on my precious Google Nexus One I am waiting for the official froyo update. Any one of you when is the exact date of rolling out this froyo 2.2

• Ken Pennett
      June 20, 18:42 Reply

I would take it now, It doesn't void anything (although I was already rooted) & it works great!
      Waiting on an Official OTA's is Frustraiting as H3LL!

• Mike Glaser
        June 20, 20:08 Reply

Just got off the phone with htc/google tech support. They claim that if you install the test versions of froyo (versions released until an OTA update) it will void your warranty. At least those were the words from the lady's mouth.

I just want Froyo now damnit!

• Rob
        June 20, 20:35 Reply

Updating to signed versions of 2.2 will not void your warranty.

Even the guys at Google are saying (paraphrased) "If you update to a test version, stop it! Wait for the official one! But you'll still get the OTA update if the test version you have is earlier than the release version."

You were probably talking to HTC support (NOT Google), and to be honest they're probably trained to say that anything you do like this is going to void your warranty.

Long story short, don't worry.

15. mm
    June 20, 02:11 Reply

Did Market Search have a “Did you mean?” feature? I think it’s new.

16. Jauhari
    June 20, 18:17 Reply

I still waiting froyo for HTC Desire

17. mzaloon
    June 20, 21:35 Reply

anyone noted speed improvement with JIT on this update?? benchamrks anyone???

• @the_real_newman
      June 21, 16:12 Reply

My Neocore FPS seems do have dropped a bit after this update, I was averaging 28.5 but now I cant break 28, im usually around 27.3. I dont have Open GL though so it could be better in that benchmark.

*****My touch Screen registry errors seem to have subsided with this update, YESSSSS!!!!!*****

18. Law Diva
    June 21, 04:11 Reply

Loving the new update. For me, this is much more stable. Better quality for videos, speedier internet, and the phone seems to lag way less than before. So far, I'm a happy frozen treat customer!

19. HoorsJumsooff
    June 21, 13:30 Reply

Hi,

Now I am just asking experts. iPhone 4 is promising a lot compared to iPhone 3GS and no doubt some features are enough for us to upgrade our phones but will iPhone 4 really beat all iPhone model as well as other competitor with launch HTC EVO 4G? What are your thoughts? Share your honest comments.

20. vuvuzela4life
    June 21, 23:25 Reply

Can anyone confirm if they are able to play WAV files with the new update? On the last update that came out, I wasn't able to play WAV files from exchange. It said that "This type of file is not supported."

21. adobe1kinobe
    June 23, 20:37 Reply

I have build number ERE27… Would this update work on my Nexus One?

22. cookiemonsta
    June 23, 21:18 Reply

Damn! When I updated my nexus one from FRF50 to this, it is now very laggy. :S

23. tinkybabi
    July 08, 05:53 Reply

Hi…ive purchased a 16gb sd card…is there a way to store or save apps onto the sd card as it has more memory to store more apps…??

I have the Google Nexus One Phone.

24. eka
    July 12, 14:52 Reply

nice post. thanks a lot

25. AFTAB ALAM
    September 09, 19:23 Reply

nexus one is the one of the most apropriate software to here the news..