March 2, 2015

Droid X's MultiTouch Keyboard Ported to all 2.1 Phones

Within a few hours of the availability of the Droid X dump, someone over at  XDA- developers was able to port the new multitouch keyboard to all phones. Since Droid X runs Android 2.1 currently, some Froyo users have reported various issues including force close. One of the greatest things about this port is that you don’t need root to install this keyboard.

It looks stunning and with the multi-touch you can hold a button while pressing another, something which is not available with any other current keyboards. If you’re wondering what the use case for something like this is, may we suggest the Shift key.  It’s not all roses yet as haptic feedback doesn’t work for now.   Give the developers some time and they’ll figure something out!

If you’d like to try it on your 2.1 device, you can download the .apk file from 4shared| megaupload | xdadeveloper forum

After installing, go to Settings > Language & Keyboard, check the “Multi-touch Keyboard” option. To type text in, long press the text box and select the “Multi-touch keyboard”. You’re up and running.

Source : AndroidPolice

Related Posts

1. @JasonMore

Works great on my CM 5.0.7 rooted phone.

Here is how I got it to work:
    (Note, it replaces the google keyboard)
    (Quotes after ADB stuff are command line)

1. Downloaded "repackaged-signed.apk" from mega download
    2. Renamed to LatinIME.apk
    3. Connected phone to adb "adb shell"
    4. "su"
    5. "mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system"
    6. "cp /system/app/LatinIME.apk /sdcard/LatinIME_Old.apk"
    7. "cp /sdcard/LatinIME.apk /system/app/LatinIME.apk"
    8. "exit"
    9. "exit"
    10. On phone, Long press on any text box
    11. Input Method
    12. Select Multi-touch keyboard
    13. Touch text box again

Presto!

2. @JasonMore

Whoops, forgot 2 things:

1. I copied LatinIME.apk to the sdcard of my phone between steps 2 and 3
    2. I'm using a MyTouch3G running the SuperE version of Cyanogen Mod 5.0.7

Hope this helps!

3. asdfsad

too bad shoddy and inaccurate multitouch tech on most android phones won't support the functionality very well…

• AndroidBen

iPhone lover. To let you know, the DROID X keyboard is marvelous. THANK YOU

4. @sjstrutt

Works great on my HTC Incredible. Definitely like it better than the SenseUI keyboard. Really hoping for haptic feedback though. Any chance we can get the "swipe up for punctuation" feature, too?

5. Justin Marden

not working on my G1.. i’m not going through ADB just for a stupid keyboard.. it’s not worth it

6. alex

I tested it on my htc desire. the multi touch works, but if i hold the shift key and press a letter, i always get the one under it. For example if i'm pressing the "f", i get the "c"; and if i push on "g" a "v" is pulled and so on. and i'm not able to get any character from a to l, because there is character-button straigth above it :D … it's so weird.

Greetz
    alex

7. alex

"…because there is NO character-button straigth above it …"

sorry

Greetz
    alex

8. Dan

not working on my G1, i did the ADB, but im being told my phone is out of space (even though i have 16MB space left)

9. Danny

Does this work on phones with HVGA displays (such as G1, myTouch, myTouch Slide, Hero, any MotoBLUR device, etc…) or just WVGA displays (such as most 2nd Gen devices)?

10. jhoravi

What the use of multi-touch if there's only one shift key?? Say you execute shift+a. Using borth thumb on the far left is very awkward!

11. lr4life

Dude, the the APK is huge.
    Over 100mb!
    I dont need that bloat on my phone.

Download SmartKeyboard Pro from the Market.
    Pretty sure it has all of the same features as the Droid X keyboard and is well worth the $1+ price tag.

12. Guido

Works great, just have to be sure to disable the default keyboard as well as enable this new one.

13. Kevin

megaupload wont work, wont let me download it, just keeps me going in circles

14. Julian

I tried installing on my samsung vibrant and the size of the letters were super small…did anyone had the same problem????

15. albert

Same as me julian, super tiny letters on samsung vibrant. Still pretty usable though. Although I’m not sure if its true multitouch when on the vibrant…

16. Demond

Im using it now…used mega upload,love the look and good spacing,one thing…on my sanding vibrant the letters are extremlh tiny,i love the light vib it gives as im typing…

17. Isaacengels

Everytime I attempt to install the apk my phone says “This is a system file.
    Do you still want to replace it?” I hit okay and then install, then the installation bar comes up and loads and then my phone says “Application not installed. I’m running 2.3.4 on my OG Droid.

POST A COMMENT.