HTC HD2 Android Port Project Makes Major Breakthrough, Release Nears

The HTC HD2 was an object of lust for Android fans for quite sometime earlier this year(before the EVO was announced that is!). Regarded as one of the best Windows Mobile 6.5 powered handsets with a 4.3-inch capacitive display, 1GHz Snapdragon processor, 576MB of RAM, and a 5 megapixel camera, the handset lacks no where in terms of hardware.  However, the one thing it is missing is Android!  Because of this, earlier this year several hackers set out to port Android to the HD2.

Up until now the port project was plagued with problems regarding the HD2′s processor along with the Linux boot tool dubbed HaRET.  Thankfully, those problems have been solved and it looks like Android for the HD2 will be a go very soon!  Personally, I can’t wait.

As Android fans are you excited about this? Do you plan on hacking Android on your HD2? Let us know in the comments!

Source: Engadget

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4641 posts

Media Hub Updates for Epic Works for Other Galaxy S Devices!

I woke up to a message from our friends over at AndroidFeens.com telling me that the Samsung Media Hub update that the Epic got yesterday works on the other Galaxy

Samsung released 3 new Galaxy S5 ads and they’re kind of neat

Samsung did a really good job in the ads department this time. Under the hashtag #Expect more they introduced 3 new ads and as we said, they’re not half bad.

Alleged Moto 360′s charger gets revealed along with some other info in the latest leak

Despite the fact we now have 2 Android Wear device on the market many of you still want the one that hasn’t been released just yet, Motorola’s Moto 360. LG

1. HOTDAMNREDHOT
    June 26, 19:02 Reply

I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING XDA'S PROGRESS DAY BY DAY… THESE GUYS ARE TRUELY AMAZING… I HAVE SUCH FAITH IN THEM, PRIOR TO THESE NEW DEVELOPMENTS, I PURCHASED THREE HD2'S… IM A GADGET FREAK AS YOU SEE AND CAN NOT WAIT TO PORT ALL THREE TO ANDROID… POSSIBLY EVEN ONE TO WM7 IF IT IS EVER RELEASED.. BUT ANDROID IS GOD IN THE MOBILE WORLD THESE DAYS… SO ALL THE DEVS OVER AT XDA… THANKS AGAIN!!!

2. Guest
    June 26, 19:27 Reply

Lacks nowhere in terms of hardware? It has got no d-pad and no QWERTY keyboard.

• ibila
      June 26, 20:17 Reply

This only means you lack the physicists to use a phone without a hardware keyboard. The hd2 is like a desire, n1 or evo….its just handicapped with winmo. Even HTC makes mistakes once in a while. 😉

3. ibila
    June 26, 20:10 Reply

Pushed a friend of mine to get a Android based phone….and then he went and got a hd2…..the fool :)
    Ofcourse he's full of regrets getting a winmo phone now! I'm going to warm him up for this port. Let's hope they go for a froyo port or a eclaire with a sense dip.

4. mikeeeee
    June 26, 21:37 Reply

wonder if the bluetooth HID interface will stay?

5. Otrebla
    June 26, 18:17 Reply

I think all of us T-Mobile Android fans have always wanted this since it came out. I’m a Nexus one owner and I want that awesome look and feel of the HD2 more. Same specs other than not a 3.7 amoled screen which I have no problem with changing. I’m running 2.2 froyo frf83 and I love the new and added goodies. If the HD2 gets worked just right even with 2.1 I will consider

I love Samsung but I do not look forward for the “vibrant”. Rather hack the HD2 and use it until the end of the year when my 1080p video cam with HDMI 1.5ghz and or above with a 4—4.5 inch super “?” screen 8mp camera with flash with of course Android OS running 3.0 gingerbread super phone!!!!!!

Ill pay hard cash easy as 123 for that. Any manufacturer makes that unlocked or for T-Mobile I can get Over 10 peeps to do the same. But for now my nexus does justice just want a bigger screen and look. Evo is bigger than HD2 I don’t want the evo and I’m not planning to leave my 7 year T-Mobile relationship. I been contract free for almost 3 years and I am very happy with T-Mobile…

So lets hope hd2 gets android here quick. Im gonna be selling my Nexus one soon right after…

6. yohan
    June 27, 12:06 Reply

cool, how much the price ? haha :), thank you

7. Mike
    June 27, 14:22 Reply

The second, I repeat the second it is released bye bye, windows hello Andriod!!!

8. Greg
    June 27, 14:24 Reply

I can't wait to hack the HTC HD2 to Android!! I have a Motorola Droid at work and love the Android operating system. I also have the HTC HD2 as my personal phone…..LOVE the phone, but Windows Mobile is by far the worst! So bad that I regret buying the phone. I am eagerly awaiting the hack to Android.

9. chris
    June 27, 15:19 Reply

I'll give it a try, any thing has got to be better than windows. If I had a choice when I went to buy the phone I would have picked one with android on it already.

10. Alexander Henriksen
    June 27, 16:00 Reply

I'm also very happy about this news but i was wondering can i use this hack if i live in EU? i don't know how something like that works but I'm up for trying! :) Do some of you guys know how it works? and can i use this in EU?

11. utari
    June 27, 16:05 Reply

can't wait for the day of realease

12. hate WinMoBI
    June 28, 00:29 Reply

Android is a must for the powerful device. I am about to return this phone but once android is ported this will be a amazing device.

13. Damien
    June 28, 06:49 Reply

how awesome is that. iI remember seeing the HD2 for the first time and it looked so cool… until I seen that it was running windows mobile. ouch. I just bought an HD2 for 250 bucks from a friend the other day just for this port! GAMBLE!??? hope not! lol

14. Aila
    June 28, 06:59 Reply

I also just got the HD2, I loved the look and the big bright screen and the awesome photos I took from my phone but I don't like the Windows Mobile OS, I want Android for the cool apps :-) Can't wait for Android on my HD2!

15. KeithRVA
    June 28, 13:56 Reply

I love my HD2 as is. I've had zero problems running WinMo. But I do like the idea of having all of those Android apps!! Just wondering if the apps I already purchased for WinMo will still run on the port? I have a sweet web radio app that I don't want to lose (it cost ten bucks!, yeah WinMo apps are jacked up).

16. @end3rbr0
    June 30, 03:06 Reply

I just took advantage of T-Mobile's Father's day sale and got 2 brand new HD2's for FREE!! Day one hacks for both of them. I can't wait. I hope they enable froyo like my N1. Android 4LIFE!!

17. 50tonrobot
    June 30, 20:45 Reply

I hate WinMo 6.5, freezes every day. I can't wait to put android on my HTC HD2!

18. Junaid
    August 14, 10:36 Reply

I am about to get a new HTC HD 2 and thinking of changing the OS to android but my friend says its not gonna work as expected as it has a smaller RAM rather then what is required(512MB) for Android to tun smoothly…So what do you guys think ??

19. Android
    September 08, 23:49 Reply

How soon is that? I can’t wait to try it. I’m kinda bored with the current applications I have for my HTC and I’ve heard exciting things about Android.

20. David Russell
    September 15, 18:40 Reply

I’ve tried several versions of android on my HTC HD2 and the only thing I can’t get to work right is the phone. I can make a call, and I sound ok on the other end, but I hear a garbled and high pitch voice on my end. Any suggestions?

21. AGN
    November 14, 20:44 Reply

Great article. Lots of information that helps. Thanks!

22. Arthur
    December 22, 10:16 Reply

As a great fan of Android and linxus, I am very excited about this? I plan on using Android on my HD2 as the only os. Let me know when I can down load the os, or even better send me the download when finished. I well gladly be the first to run the new os on my HTC HD2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for all the hard work you are doing for all of us HD2 users.

23. House of Androids
    May 27, 04:11 Reply

HTC always have the best on technology, I love mine… I can’t wait too…