Alright, Motorola… You’ve Got 2 Days

You might be wondering what the title of this article implies. Well, a few months ago, Motorola promised their loyal Cliq and Cliq XT owner some 2.1 goodness. They released a timeline for future updates to all of  their devices. As you can see, the first MotoBlur phone, the Cliq, along with its keyboard-less brother, the Cliq XT, are both planned for an update to 2.1 “in Q2 2010″.

If you don’t have a calendar on hand, I’ll point out that Q2 starts in April and lasts until the 1st day of July. Well, guess what? Q2 ends in 2 days! It looks like Moto may have dropped the ball this time. Needless to say, they will probably delay the update to Q3. So, if you have a Cliq or Cliq XT,  it would seem you’ll have to wait just a little longer to jump on the Eclair train.

That is, unless you’ve already taken matters into your own hands and gotten 2.1 on your device some other way. All hacking and modding aside, the majority of Cliq/Cliq XT owners may have to postpone their 2.1 celebrations.

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

Acer’s Nameless 4.8-inch Phone

That didn’t take long. We have the official press release for the Acer handset that was just announced about an hour ago. For some strange reason, Acer has yet to name their new 4.8-inch smart phone.

Motorola Droid Razr M gets Jelly Bean update

DROID RAZR M by Motorola is the second Verizon Wireless smartphone to be upgraded to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. The software upgrade will be pushed to customers in phases starting Nov.

Kingdom Rush: Origins Invades Android

Kingdom Rush has been a game that gets massive attention, being one of the greatest tower defense games on mobile devices. The games immense followers have backed the franchise during

1,215 Comments

1. eclipsed4utoo
    June 29, 14:40 Reply

Maybe they are skipping 2.1 all together and jumping straight to 2.2?

2. @mikedfunk
    June 29, 15:11 Reply

I've been waiting patiently for this update to my Cliq XT for too long. Too bad the hack doesn't work on the XT.

3. MIKEEEEE
    June 29, 15:26 Reply

when it gets here, it gets here.

i really like the price of the update.

right now, this is the best phone for me and i don't see anything i really have the 'hots' for anytime soon.

being the first kid on the block doesn't really apply to me as there aint a smartphone users for miles where i live.

4. @Epicanis
    June 29, 15:42 Reply

People (including me) who bought a "CLIQ™ with MOTOBLUR™" (as they insist on calling it) seem to be un-persons to Motorola corporation.

Being late is excusable, but they seem to feel we're beneath notice.

The "Cluetrain Manifesto" was released, what, a decade ago? Maybe someone should send Motorola a few copies. A little actual honest communication from them would go a long way towards keeping those of us who haven't yet entirely given up on Motorola already as potentially-happy customers.

5. Surge
    June 29, 16:00 Reply

i talked to moto yesterday and apparently google is the one responsible for releasing it and not tmo …….

this was news to me. I don't think (or rather i hope) google would let me down.

6. timmyjoe42
    June 29, 16:08 Reply

Keep in mind that these are target dates. You never know how long it is going to take to design something and get it perfect. I'm sure they could release something very buggy at any time, but who wants that?

7. Oscar
    June 29, 16:29 Reply

Well in two days its either about time Moto or goodbye Moto and hello Htc…Who is with me?

8. Warranty45
    June 29, 16:48 Reply

I postponed getting any android phone for a long time because I wanted 2.1. When I saw they had finally promised it in Q2 i was like its time to get it. Now that we are here with literally 2 days left, I realize my timing was a mistake and should've just gotten the MyTouch Slide Because honestly it has what "I" want. 2.1 and a keyboard. The Keyboard was what drew me to the Cliq in the first place. Tmobile or Google, whoevers fault it is needs to put out this update soon.

9. Homer
    June 29, 17:00 Reply

Perhaps Motorola is referring to *fiscal* quarters, and their Q2 doesn't end for some time…

10. Greg
    June 29, 17:07 Reply

Certainly the heat needs to be turned up. Google needs to reiterate that it's time for manufactures to finish updating there products to 2.1, and that the gap is getting to wide. Carriers like T-Mobile need to bat for their customers, and insist that Motorola finish, instead of being distracted and creating a useless XT version, MotoBlur. Maybe it's time to turn in our CLIQ's back in to our carriers and demand real android 2.1 phones.

MotoBlur is a waste anyway and an intrusion on ones privacy. It's not optional. How many backups of ones contacts does one need? Google, T-Mobile, and MotoBlur I think not. Let me choose, and don't stick your nose in my business.

11. rev2redlineguy
    June 29, 17:37 Reply

I'm done with Motorola and their crappy handsets. I mean don't get me wrong I like the Cliq but it's so buggy and I've already have gone through 3 exchanges and maybe #4 (only receives calls when it wants to). Motorola really needs to listen to its consumers & give us this update this they mentioned that our phones would be updated to 2.1 soon (and by gosh, Q2 is almost over). If they don't give out some kind of press release to mention why in a few days, I'm cutting my losses & moving on to something else. It's a shame that we pay all this money for these devices and Motorola simply laughs in our face for taking it. We'll see who has the last laugh when their sales start to go down.

12. sillyrabbit
    June 30, 01:05 Reply

remember ladies and gents, the HTC EVO 4G update just came through and "bricked" a couple hundred phones. I would rather wait and get a good update, than throw my phone against the wall because it is useless.

13. rosedale19
    June 30, 03:28 Reply

I mean i really like the cliq it may have a couple bugs here and there (keyboard randomly "8h&" on me which ive had to get a replacement) but and update will be nice and im especially dissapointed because of all the delays and its really turning people off from this phone so google or tmo better get there marketing strategize together and let people know whats going on!

14. Now that we are here with literally 2 days left, I realize my timing was a mistake and should’ve just gotten the MyTouch Slide

15. Nightly Business Report
    October 12, 06:09 Reply

Hi, this is my first visit on your blog and i got a lot of information through this.I plan my second visit very soon…….thanks for posting.

16. business financing loan
    October 13, 13:46 Reply

Ya I was really wondering what the title of this article implies,but it implies that they will probably delay the update to Q3.

17. Mykalai Kontilai
    October 14, 13:09 Reply

I am so glad that they haven’t changed the date… but it still does say in the disclaimer at the bottom that they are free to do whatever they want.

18. Bo Brandser
    October 20, 08:33 Reply

I work at Best Buy Mobile and its a pleasure to sell the Droid by Motorola to my Verizon Wireless customers. I suggest buying the Invisible shild by Zagg and having us installed it for You. Its Lifetime guarantee not to tear or prevent you for using your touchscreen effectively.

19. Nightly Business Report
    October 26, 07:30 Reply

This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.Good luck..

20. Maurizio Cassano
    November 02, 05:25 Reply

Thanks for that incredibly impressive column. Well the Google needs to reiterate that it’s time for manufactures to finish updating there products to 2.1.

21. Paul Dircksen
    December 03, 04:21 Reply

when it gets here, it gets here. i really like the price of the update. right now, this is the best phone for me and i don’t see anything i really have the ‘hots’ for anytime soon.Thanks for sharing with us…

22. As per presence of high competitors, Motorola really needs to listen to its consumers & give us this update this they mentioned that our phones would be updated to 2.1 soon (and by gosh, Q2 is almost over). If they don’t give out some kind of press release to mention why in a few days…

23. Fitness Exercise
    May 07, 08:09 Reply

Motorola have to understand their customer perception to keep on business….