March 5, 2015

Alright, Motorola... You've Got 2 Days

You might be wondering what the title of this article implies. Well, a few months ago, Motorola promised their loyal Cliq and Cliq XT owner some 2.1 goodness. They released a timeline for future updates to all of  their devices. As you can see, the first MotoBlur phone, the Cliq, along with its keyboard-less brother, the Cliq XT, are both planned for an update to 2.1 “in Q2 2010″.

If you don’t have a calendar on hand, I’ll point out that Q2 starts in April and lasts until the 1st day of July. Well, guess what? Q2 ends in 2 days! It looks like Moto may have dropped the ball this time. Needless to say, they will probably delay the update to Q3. So, if you have a Cliq or Cliq XT,  it would seem you’ll have to wait just a little longer to jump on the Eclair train.

That is, unless you’ve already taken matters into your own hands and gotten 2.1 on your device some other way. All hacking and modding aside, the majority of Cliq/Cliq XT owners may have to postpone their 2.1 celebrations.

Related Posts

1. MIKEEEEE

when it gets here, it gets here.

i really like the price of the update.

right now, this is the best phone for me and i don't see anything i really have the 'hots' for anytime soon.

being the first kid on the block doesn't really apply to me as there aint a smartphone users for miles where i live.

2. @Epicanis

People (including me) who bought a "CLIQ™ with MOTOBLUR™" (as they insist on calling it) seem to be un-persons to Motorola corporation.

Being late is excusable, but they seem to feel we're beneath notice.

The "Cluetrain Manifesto" was released, what, a decade ago? Maybe someone should send Motorola a few copies. A little actual honest communication from them would go a long way towards keeping those of us who haven't yet entirely given up on Motorola already as potentially-happy customers.

3. Surge

i talked to moto yesterday and apparently google is the one responsible for releasing it and not tmo …….

this was news to me. I don't think (or rather i hope) google would let me down.

4. timmyjoe42

Keep in mind that these are target dates. You never know how long it is going to take to design something and get it perfect. I'm sure they could release something very buggy at any time, but who wants that?

5. Oscar

Well in two days its either about time Moto or goodbye Moto and hello Htc…Who is with me?

6. Warranty45

I postponed getting any android phone for a long time because I wanted 2.1. When I saw they had finally promised it in Q2 i was like its time to get it. Now that we are here with literally 2 days left, I realize my timing was a mistake and should've just gotten the MyTouch Slide Because honestly it has what "I" want. 2.1 and a keyboard. The Keyboard was what drew me to the Cliq in the first place. Tmobile or Google, whoevers fault it is needs to put out this update soon.

7. Homer

Perhaps Motorola is referring to *fiscal* quarters, and their Q2 doesn't end for some time…

8. Greg

Certainly the heat needs to be turned up. Google needs to reiterate that it's time for manufactures to finish updating there products to 2.1, and that the gap is getting to wide. Carriers like T-Mobile need to bat for their customers, and insist that Motorola finish, instead of being distracted and creating a useless XT version, MotoBlur. Maybe it's time to turn in our CLIQ's back in to our carriers and demand real android 2.1 phones.

MotoBlur is a waste anyway and an intrusion on ones privacy. It's not optional. How many backups of ones contacts does one need? Google, T-Mobile, and MotoBlur I think not. Let me choose, and don't stick your nose in my business.

9. rev2redlineguy

I'm done with Motorola and their crappy handsets. I mean don't get me wrong I like the Cliq but it's so buggy and I've already have gone through 3 exchanges and maybe #4 (only receives calls when it wants to). Motorola really needs to listen to its consumers & give us this update this they mentioned that our phones would be updated to 2.1 soon (and by gosh, Q2 is almost over). If they don't give out some kind of press release to mention why in a few days, I'm cutting my losses & moving on to something else. It's a shame that we pay all this money for these devices and Motorola simply laughs in our face for taking it. We'll see who has the last laugh when their sales start to go down.

10. sillyrabbit

remember ladies and gents, the HTC EVO 4G update just came through and "bricked" a couple hundred phones. I would rather wait and get a good update, than throw my phone against the wall because it is useless.

11. rosedale19

I mean i really like the cliq it may have a couple bugs here and there (keyboard randomly "8h&" on me which ive had to get a replacement) but and update will be nice and im especially dissapointed because of all the delays and its really turning people off from this phone so google or tmo better get there marketing strategize together and let people know whats going on!

12. Bo Brandser

I work at Best Buy Mobile and its a pleasure to sell the Droid by Motorola to my Verizon Wireless customers. I suggest buying the Invisible shild by Zagg and having us installed it for You. Its Lifetime guarantee not to tear or prevent you for using your touchscreen effectively.

13. Paul Dircksen

when it gets here, it gets here. i really like the price of the update. right now, this is the best phone for me and i don’t see anything i really have the ‘hots’ for anytime soon.Thanks for sharing with us…

14. sell cell phones for cash

As per presence of high competitors, Motorola really needs to listen to its consumers & give us this update this they mentioned that our phones would be updated to 2.1 soon (and by gosh, Q2 is almost over). If they don’t give out some kind of press release to mention why in a few days…

POST A COMMENT.