Apple Has ZERO Idea What Android Is

In today’s Apple address to the nation of the iBrainWashed, the Cupertino-based company flaunted their ignorance for the entire world to read. No, I’m not referring to their illogical explanation of reception problems or blatant denial of facts that point to the hardware defect in their new iPhone 4. I am, of course, talking about their absolutely comical reference to Android devices.

To start with, gripping almost any mobile phone in certain ways will reduce its reception by 1 or more bars. This is true of iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, as well as many Droid, Nokia and RIM phones.

So let’s get this straight. According to Apple, Droid, Nokia, and RIM are all examples of phone categories. In referencing Android devices as Droids, Apple’s PR department is showing a severe lack of understanding for the world of smartphones that they are claiming to be so authoritative in. Clearly having been sucked into Verizon’s Droid Does campaign (pretty impressive on Verizon’s part, if I might say so myself), Apple clearly doesn’t “get” that Android is a platform that resides on over 60 devices worldwide.

You see, sir Apple, Droid is just a name used for a specific line of Android based phones that run on the Verizon network.  These “Droid” phones aren’t even manufactured by the same companies. Both HTC and Motorola produce Android devices that use the Droid branding.

Because I’m a nice guy, I will assume that by “Droid,” you meant “Android.” It’s an honest mistake– really, it is. I too was once an ignorant fanboy who slurred his words and mixed up tech lingo. But then I turned two, became potty trained, and learned to speak only when I actually know what I’m talking about.

I appreciate the laugh, Apple. You should really consider stand-up.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4627 posts

Barcelona Named ‘Mobile World Capital’, Will Host MWC Through 2018

We just received a press release on behalf of the GSMA advising that the annual Mobile World Congress event ain’t leaving town anytime soon. In fact, after an 18 month

Can $90 in freebies help jump-start Droid Xyboard sales?

If you’re subscribed to Motorola’s website then you’ve probably received an email this week, advising that the Droid Xyboard tablets were being offered with limited-time promotions.  For those who

Lookout Mobile Security announces global expansion

Lookout Mobile Security today announced that they’ve expanded their reach, moving into multiple new markets. Folks living in Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom will soon have access to the

1. Chuck Falzone
    July 02, 12:33 Reply

…or maybe they specifically meant "Droid" as a little "eff you" to Motorola/Verizon for calling them out in that full-page Droid X ad…

2. Rasputin
    July 02, 16:36 Reply

Benjamin,

This post is petty, childish and dickheaded. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

I am ashamed to have people like you on the Android side.

• John V
      July 05, 12:43 Reply

never been to this site before today.. I found the post clear and funny. If you are offended by this, go someplace else. The only petty, childish, and dickheaded comment is .. well… yours.

Go away . Let the adults laugh at what they want to, WITHOUT your pointless criticism.

3. Darrel
    July 02, 16:39 Reply

Maybe they were being passive aggressive with the intent of showing just how insignificant they think Android is.

4. Tim
    July 02, 16:42 Reply

Agreed with Rasputin. This post is kind of ridiculous regarding something as trivial as semantics.

5. Disko
    July 02, 12:47 Reply

LMAO that was great. I too get a little pissed when people refer to my Moto Cliq as a Droid. Just a little pet peeve…

6. massivestapler
    July 02, 16:47 Reply

They didn't say, "Droid, Blackberry OS, and Symbian" – they could've easily been talking about specific VZW phones. I assure you dude, Apple knows exactly what Android is.

• Miff
      July 02, 13:16 Reply

Exactly. This is a hardware issue, Android has nothing to do with it, but as Droid is a line of phone hardware, it’s use here is perfectly justified.

7. Jesper
    July 02, 16:47 Reply

I agree with Rasputin and Tim, this post makes us look like children.

There's no need to jump at everything that comes out of Cupertino, especially when it's just semantics.

8. Mikkel
    July 02, 17:39 Reply

I didn't know 11 year olds wrote on this site. This whole thing made me cringe so bad that I feel kinda embarrassed that I read this site almost on a daily basis.

• John V
      July 05, 12:49 Reply

its supposed to be funny. 11 year olds? You are just an ass.

9. B
    July 02, 13:43 Reply

So if you do believe it was an honest mistake or slip-up, then what was the point of this whole article? I dont like Apple and their policies either, but I’m not a fanboy. I dont sit on every word and action from them and turn it into what I want it to be. From the headline, I thought this was going somewhere completely different.

10. Matt
    July 02, 17:45 Reply

who cares? This really is a pretty petty post.

11. The_Omega_Man
    July 02, 18:04 Reply

I would question the statement from the perspective of whether the "Droid, Nokia and RIM phones," actually calculate that "1 or more bars," of drop incorrectly too! Or is it only Apple's iPhones that get this little (slightly significant) factor wrong!

;}

12. droidin
    July 02, 18:08 Reply

That's a lot of mileage on a single remark. I'm Android guy all right (I carry N1 and write android apps) but I don't like when people start religious wars. My cube neighbor has new iPhone 4 – rest assure there's lot that can be learn from the device including its devilishly good looks

13. Zack
    July 02, 19:20 Reply

Apart from the totally trivial complaint at hand that you've made, just implying a comparison of Apple to a ditsy Alicia Silverstone is very much like when the McCain campaign compared Obama to Paris Hilton. Just childish, and people with any sense aren't going to respect this kind of blogging at all. You guys can do better.

14. iHater
    July 03, 02:04 Reply

I agree with all the agreeing posters as well. But I have a feeling that Apple did this in purpose just to confuse the iGnorants even more. Android = Droid = Droid 1= less than iPhoneyFour. So IMO the post was not only petty but also naive.

15. NeXTLoop
    July 02, 22:57 Reply

Personally, I find this whole iPhone/Android fanboyism VERY tiresome. I happen to be a die-hard Mac user who also loves Android. My current phone is a Moto Droid, and its by far the best phone I’ve ever had.

Whether people want to admit it or not, each platform can learn a lot from the other. There’s definitely things that Apple can learn from Android (notifications is just one of many things that come to mind), and there’s certainly a thing or two that Android can pick from Apple. What’s more, I would even go so far as to say that Apple and Android NEED each other. By having two powerful, graceful mobile platforms going head-to-head, it ensure that they continue to be competitive…rather than following Palm’s example and getting lazy with past accomplishments.

This may be unsavory for some people to hear, but I personally think it was a good thing that Apple came along with the iPhone first. In many ways Apple helped break the stranglehold that the carriers had previously held on the mobile market, and help put more power in the hands of the platform/hardware developers. This in turn has helped make it easier for Google, and the accompanying hardware makers, to make such excellent phones (phones that we all love) without fighting tooth-and-nail against the carriers.

In short, I found this article a childish perpetuation of the very kind of fanboyism that nobody benefits from.

16. Jay
    July 03, 05:15 Reply

Well i think this post is hilarious and let us leave it at that … just something light to make life a lil easy … what do u say guys ??

17. cr0wnest
    July 03, 17:20 Reply

I know this post may be a little uncalled for. But hey its funny. XD

18. Droid4life
    July 05, 17:06 Reply

Aww, get over yourselves already people! If you read on other blogs (iPhone blogs ect..). You will definitely see the same type of criticism towards Android, with no i-Fans bitching and moaning about it.
    What the hell is wrong with you people. It’s damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
    I’ll bet you a shiny red penny, that if he was to say anything negative towards Android and positive towards I-O.S, you would still find something to eff’n complain about! Here the Guy is (Obviously an Android fan) making a crack at something funny that was said by Apple, and we have SUPPOSED Android users here belittling him for it. Ain’t that a bunch of shit! I thought it was humorous, and different people take things differently, But it doesn’t give me or any if you morons the right to hate on his post, just because you see it from a different perspective. It sounds to me like we have alot of iFans on here posing as Droid oops! I mean Android fans. :)
    And one last note: If you get offended when someone calls your Cliq a Droid, well brother you have some serious kinks you need to get ironed out of your mind. Sincerely yours, Loving Droid user, hacker, developer, and i-pod player. If you want it all.. just buy an Android device along with an iPod and get the best of both worlds, you know… if you really like using your phone for calls. ;)

19. Steve Ledridge
    July 07, 15:12 Reply

i'm an Android fan, but I think this was a pretty weak slam. I even have to admit that in my pre-droid (yes I have an actual Motorola Droid) experience, I had the Omnia which, it their moronic wisdom, put the antenna in the bottom of the phone where it was covered by your hand. I often found, if I wasn't talking on it, I could double "my bars" by using the phone upside down.

20. Liger
    July 13, 23:35 Reply

I love this post. My boss is trying to develop mobile apps for Android, Blackberry, and the iPhone, but he always says "Blackberry, iPhone, and Droids" for platforms. It drives me nuts and is a huge pet peeve. Why? Because we're suppose to be a social media company that knows about this stuff. I've had a T-Mobile MyTouch for almost a year, and he still hasn't recognized that my phone has most of the same capabilities (and a waaay sexier body) than the Droid by motorola. So yes, i get offended when people call my phone a Droid, because it's not. The apple comment sounded so much like my boss that it pretty much made my day. Thanks.