February 28, 2015

Flash for Froyo Doesn't Respect Nexus One Silent Mode? (UPDATE)

Is Flash for Android 2.2 Froyo set up in a way in which silent mode doesn’t affect the plugin?  According to one of our readers, Simon, setting the phone on silent doesn’t matter when it comes to browsing websites with Flash-enabled features.  Here’s the email we received from Simon as he describes his surprise.

…We rely on silent mode on all our devices to help the geeklet to stay asleep while allowing his mom and dad to continue to use their phones and computers.  Last night the self-playing Flash video on the Iron Chef America website woke the little guy up regardless that my N1 was on silent.  Today I’ve tested the phone on a few other noisy Flash sites and they all have played audio, regardless of the phone’s silent mode. I’m gonna have to keep earphones plugged into the device while the baby’s asleep, at least until Adobe can correct this obvious oversight…

I don’t have a Nexus One of my own to test this on so I am asking you guys.  Have you run into any issues with Flash-based websites on your Nexus One?  Try setting your phone on silent. Does it matter?  Leave a comment below and I will update the post.

UPDATE: The solution is more simple than originally thought – Instead of setting the phone on silent, turn the media volume down.  This would cover not only the browser, but also your music player and videos.

We also received an email from Adobe’s Mark Doherty who adds the following, “…The silent mode on Android is for Calls only, these are considered interruption events.  The Android OS dictates that Media players have their own volume controls, this is common across most platforms.  All sounds except Media and Alarms are silenced.  So in fact, this has nothing to do with Flash.”

Related Posts

1. Ramon

Ummm… Silent mode doesn't apply to media or alarms. Try lowering the media volume on your device. #GG

2. nelly1394

Exactly. The default sound is ringer when we’re using browser but it will change to media automatically when we’re playing flash (like youtube desktop version) in the browser. That’s why muting the phone the flash can still wake the little guy up. :-)

3. twilzee

What they said. Make sure your media volume is turned down in addition to your ringer.

4. Alex Danvy

AFIAK #flash for #Android does not use phone volume but media volume parameter just like your music player. It means that when you're in silent mode from a phone point of view, you're not silent form a media/music point of view. Just use volume +/- while #flash animation is playing to adjust media volume.

5. Ryan

+4 Silent Mode = Silence all sounds except media & alarms. Word for word discription listed. Lowering media volume will solve the issue. I am not affiliated with audio widget but it works very well.

6. Ramon

You can also access media volume through the settings/audio menu or by opening the music player then using the volume rocker, in case you want to silence it before anything starts playing. Sorry about the tone of my first post, but seeing "at least until Adobe can correct this obvious oversight…" in this situation was pretty irksome.

7. Rich

I was all ready to comment on here saying about silent mode not affecting the media volume, but it seems like that job's already been done! Gotta love the friendly and knowledgable Android crowd :o)

8. Greg

I browse with plugins set to 'On Demand', Just because I have the flash plugin doesn't mean I want to watch obnoxious flash ads.

9. Alz

Wow, what a terrible article. Oh hey, the music player plays music out loud when the phone is in silent mode. You should totally write an article about it.

10. @illuminantceo

I'm the guy.

It was entirely my error to think that silent mode would silence every bleep and bloop on the device.

Many thanks to all the commenters who have pointed out that when the home screen displays "[Phone Options] Silent Mode – Sound is OFF" and the info bar shows a shaking-phone icon, the device will still actually play sound from any and every media source (including obnoxious Flash display ads).

Having to silence the device twice (once by putting it into "Silent mode – sound is OFF", again by launching the Music app and clicking volume-down to silent) is somewhat unintuitive though, I think.

Sill loving Froyo all the same :o)

11. Canuck

I love Android, but I agree with the @illuminantceo that this is an Android usability bug, not an RTFM. The easiest-to-reach silent setting should mute the whole device, not just the ringer — after all, it is a phone as well as a computer, and people bring it into restaurants, theatres, etc.

12. ObsceneJesster

@illuminantceo….It's really not that unintuitive at all. There are plenty of profile apps available in the market. Make the profiles you want and with 1 or 2 screen touches all of your volume settings will be set at your desired level. For example, I have a profile named "Sleep". It keeps my Ringer and Alarm volume on while turning off my Media volume, System volume and Notification volume. The app I use for this is called volume widget. It's a widget that allows you to set 3 different profiles and with one screen touch, all of my volume settings are adjusted. If you don't want a widget then I recommend "Audio Manager Pro". That works great as well.

13. ObsceneJesster

One more thing. This comment is directed towards the editor. Scott, what the hell were you thinking when you decided to waste your time writing this article. As a Android Blogger, you should have known immediately what this guys problem was and told him to adjust is media volume.

14. John

I dont think this is a bug, I would say it probably a feature.. vice versa for this article though!

15. GingerbreadMan

Androidguys wrote: " Have you run into any issues with Flash-based websites on your Nexus One?"

Unrelated to sound… I HAVE issues with Adobe Flash embedded videos and Flash websites on my FRF91 build upgrade: For a range of different sites some are good some are average.

– Glitchy / stop/ start video playback and then the video lags about up to half a second or more (some sites).
    – The screen is difficult to use on most if not all Flash sites. sometimes do not recognise a screen tap at all. Screen is ok otherwise.
    – Some sites won't let you pinch resize the screen.

Hint: When on Flash video pages [after tapping the green down arrow to play the flash object] I have found the only usable way of playing the flash video is in *full-screen mode*. I do this by long tapping until the full screen '[ ]' / downsize screen 'X' symbols appear top left / top right of the Flash 'frame'.

It's not my connection I have tried this.

N1 – Stock 2.2 FRF91