Flash for Froyo Doesn’t Respect Nexus One Silent Mode? (UPDATE)

Is Flash for Android 2.2 Froyo set up in a way in which silent mode doesn’t affect the plugin?  According to one of our readers, Simon, setting the phone on silent doesn’t matter when it comes to browsing websites with Flash-enabled features.  Here’s the email we received from Simon as he describes his surprise.

…We rely on silent mode on all our devices to help the geeklet to stay asleep while allowing his mom and dad to continue to use their phones and computers.  Last night the self-playing Flash video on the Iron Chef America website woke the little guy up regardless that my N1 was on silent.  Today I’ve tested the phone on a few other noisy Flash sites and they all have played audio, regardless of the phone’s silent mode. I’m gonna have to keep earphones plugged into the device while the baby’s asleep, at least until Adobe can correct this obvious oversight…

I don’t have a Nexus One of my own to test this on so I am asking you guys.  Have you run into any issues with Flash-based websites on your Nexus One?  Try setting your phone on silent. Does it matter?  Leave a comment below and I will update the post.

UPDATE: The solution is more simple than originally thought – Instead of setting the phone on silent, turn the media volume down.  This would cover not only the browser, but also your music player and videos.

We also received an email from Adobe’s Mark Doherty who adds the following, “…The silent mode on Android is for Calls only, these are considered interruption events.  The Android OS dictates that Media players have their own volume controls, this is common across most platforms.  All sounds except Media and Alarms are silenced.  So in fact, this has nothing to do with Flash.”

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6570 posts

Samsung officially announces Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Student Edition

We’ve been hearing whispers about a student edition of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, complete with a keyboard dock and USB adapter at no extra cost. While Samsung did make

Featured

Swiftkey Flow beta inches toward final release with new update

Swiftkey Flow moved on step closer to a final, official release today with the rollout of a new beta version of the keyboard app. As one might expect, the 4.0.0.76 update

Angry Birds Star Wars 2 arrives on Android

Rovio’s next sure-fire hit is out today; Angry Birds Star Wars 2 is available for Android and iOS devices. As a sequel to last years popular game, this is acts

1. Ramon
    July 05, 15:44 Reply

Ummm… Silent mode doesn't apply to media or alarms. Try lowering the media volume on your device. #GG

2. nelly1394
    July 05, 12:00 Reply

Exactly. The default sound is ringer when we’re using browser but it will change to media automatically when we’re playing flash (like youtube desktop version) in the browser. That’s why muting the phone the flash can still wake the little guy up. :-)

3. twilzee
    July 05, 16:03 Reply

What they said. Make sure your media volume is turned down in addition to your ringer.

4. Alex Danvy
    July 05, 16:10 Reply

AFIAK #flash for #Android does not use phone volume but media volume parameter just like your music player. It means that when you're in silent mode from a phone point of view, you're not silent form a media/music point of view. Just use volume +/- while #flash animation is playing to adjust media volume.

5. Ryan
    July 05, 12:14 Reply

+4 Silent Mode = Silence all sounds except media & alarms. Word for word discription listed. Lowering media volume will solve the issue. I am not affiliated with audio widget but it works very well.

6. Ramon
    July 05, 16:27 Reply

You can also access media volume through the settings/audio menu or by opening the music player then using the volume rocker, in case you want to silence it before anything starts playing. Sorry about the tone of my first post, but seeing "at least until Adobe can correct this obvious oversight…" in this situation was pretty irksome.

7. Rich
    July 05, 16:48 Reply

I was all ready to comment on here saying about silent mode not affecting the media volume, but it seems like that job's already been done! Gotta love the friendly and knowledgable Android crowd :o)

8. Greg
    July 05, 17:04 Reply

I browse with plugins set to 'On Demand', Just because I have the flash plugin doesn't mean I want to watch obnoxious flash ads.

9. @grimmy_efg
    July 05, 17:17 Reply

Came here to mention the media volume, but it appears several hundred people have already beaten me to it :)

10. Alz
    July 05, 18:44 Reply

Wow, what a terrible article. Oh hey, the music player plays music out loud when the phone is in silent mode. You should totally write an article about it.

11. @illuminantceo
    July 05, 19:08 Reply

I'm the guy.

It was entirely my error to think that silent mode would silence every bleep and bloop on the device.

Many thanks to all the commenters who have pointed out that when the home screen displays "[Phone Options] Silent Mode – Sound is OFF" and the info bar shows a shaking-phone icon, the device will still actually play sound from any and every media source (including obnoxious Flash display ads).

Having to silence the device twice (once by putting it into "Silent mode – sound is OFF", again by launching the Music app and clicking volume-down to silent) is somewhat unintuitive though, I think.

Sill loving Froyo all the same :o)

• @GrevensEpiphany
      July 05, 19:27 Reply

It's absolutely not unintuitive. In fact, it's one of the best features on it. I use my Nexus One as my PMP, and I love the fact that I can switch on silent mode and not have my music interrupted by notifications. By the same token, I can lower the media volume to listen to music softly while falling asleep, without changing my alarm and ringer volume. This is a good thing.

• Scaine
        July 05, 23:06 Reply

It is a good thing, but I agree with "the guy" – it's not intuitive at all. I use Settings Profile for this stuff – I create a "silent" profile which sets ringer/notify/media volumes all at the same time. But you pay for that app (it does other stuff) and this isn't all that obvious without it.

• ontheFritz
        July 06, 13:42 Reply

I disagree… Since this could be solved with a simple "complete silence" step.. Then you'd be able to maintain the current silent ring mode as a step above that.

• Eduardo
      July 06, 00:09 Reply

You are totally right, silent should mean SILENT not "silent as long as you don't open anything that makes noise".

• Edmond
      July 06, 14:16 Reply

@illuminantceo

Actually, you can use apps to help you. I've a few for you.

First, "AudioManager Widget" by Smart Android Apps, LLC (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.smartandroidapps.audiowidget)
      It provides widget (or an app icon) for all quick-volume settings.

Second, "Sound Manager" by Daniel Roozen
      (http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.roozen.SoundManager)
      The difference between the above is that you can schedule the volume settings.

Hope these apps can help you enjoy Android more! =]

12. Canuck
    July 05, 19:27 Reply

I love Android, but I agree with the @illuminantceo that this is an Android usability bug, not an RTFM. The easiest-to-reach silent setting should mute the whole device, not just the ringer — after all, it is a phone as well as a computer, and people bring it into restaurants, theatres, etc.

13. ObsceneJesster
    July 06, 03:07 Reply

@illuminantceo….It's really not that unintuitive at all. There are plenty of profile apps available in the market. Make the profiles you want and with 1 or 2 screen touches all of your volume settings will be set at your desired level. For example, I have a profile named "Sleep". It keeps my Ringer and Alarm volume on while turning off my Media volume, System volume and Notification volume. The app I use for this is called volume widget. It's a widget that allows you to set 3 different profiles and with one screen touch, all of my volume settings are adjusted. If you don't want a widget then I recommend "Audio Manager Pro". That works great as well.

14. ObsceneJesster
    July 06, 03:09 Reply

One more thing. This comment is directed towards the editor. Scott, what the hell were you thinking when you decided to waste your time writing this article. As a Android Blogger, you should have known immediately what this guys problem was and told him to adjust is media volume.

15. John
    July 06, 12:35 Reply

I dont think this is a bug, I would say it probably a feature.. vice versa for this article though!

16. GingerbreadMan
    July 09, 02:21 Reply

Androidguys wrote: " Have you run into any issues with Flash-based websites on your Nexus One?"

Unrelated to sound… I HAVE issues with Adobe Flash embedded videos and Flash websites on my FRF91 build upgrade: For a range of different sites some are good some are average.

– Glitchy / stop/ start video playback and then the video lags about up to half a second or more (some sites).
    – The screen is difficult to use on most if not all Flash sites. sometimes do not recognise a screen tap at all. Screen is ok otherwise.
    – Some sites won't let you pinch resize the screen.

Hint: When on Flash video pages [after tapping the green down arrow to play the flash object] I have found the only usable way of playing the flash video is in *full-screen mode*. I do this by long tapping until the full screen '[ ]' / downsize screen 'X' symbols appear top left / top right of the Flash 'frame'.

It's not my connection I have tried this.

N1 – Stock 2.2 FRF91
    Always on WiFi
    Netcomm NB9W w/ strong signal / 54Mbps connection speed
    Broadband – 2-4 Mbps Download speed
    Using standard browser.

17. eka
    July 11, 11:23 Reply

That works great as well.